Gas & Electricity

Posted 27th May
Hello,
my gas and electricity contract is ending soon. I am with Scottish Energy ATMO and paying £105
should I leave or should I stay? any suggestion are welcome.
Community Updates
Ask
38 Comments
Nobody can really give you ANY accurate answers on this here as its so specific to invidual cirsumstances.

Use a comparrison site to work out for yourself what is best: confused.com / comparethemarket.com or uswitch.com etc.
Try Yorkshire energy
Stay
Get a quote from Bulb energy online.
I switched to British gas as comparison site tells me I'll be saving £98 over one year plus got 1 years worth of boiler cover.
Outfox the market cheapest tarriff on dual fuel.
Wow, £105?? How many people are there in your house?
Sse I found them the cheapest , pay £79 pm three bedroom 4 people
avro energy for me 2 x OAPS £55 /month dual fuel
shelliebish27/05/2020 20:51

Wow, £105?? How many people are there in your house?

Am confused. Is £105 low or high? We are 3 but my wife does some baking quite a bit.
Edited by: "tcotpatpwtcot" 27th May
ashmac27/05/2020 21:05

Sse I found them the cheapest , pay £79 pm three bedroom 4 people

How long are you with them. With gas and electricity its quite a good deal.
Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Would recommend Yorkshire energy. Only been with them a couple of months but much cheaper than bulb (last company I was with)
Just be careful when looking as some offers aren’t what they seem. Some tariffs are called the same but vary on prices especially when offering cash back etc. It’s probably worth signing up to Martin Lewis’ energy club, you’ll just need to gauge what you use each month.
tcotpatpwtcot27/05/2020 21:15

Am confused. Is £105 low or high? We are 3 but my wife does some baking …Am confused. Is £105 low or high? We are 3 but my wife does some baking quite a bit.

We pay £70 direct debit with octopus and are currently £90 in credit!
shelliebish27/05/2020 21:30

We pay £70 direct debit with octopus and are currently £90 in credit!

I was with them before the switch. Their rates have gone up.
tcotpatpwtcot27/05/2020 21:15

Am confused. Is £105 low or high? We are 3 but my wife does some baking …Am confused. Is £105 low or high? We are 3 but my wife does some baking quite a bit.

It is high we are with bulb and pay roughly £80
tcotpatpwtcot27/05/2020 21:17

How long are you with them. With gas and electricity its quite a good deal.

Since nov last year , can’t fault them tbh
Call Scottish Energy and ask how many kilowatt hours of Gas and Electric you used last year and go to Uswitch etc
and get quotes then read some feedback.
Pick the provider you want and see if you can get a referral, Quidco or Topcashback.
Is Avro energy for the next year for me.
Watch out for exit fees.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 27th May
I swapped over to Bulb from E-on with no issues. Someone recommended us and we both got £50 credit which was a bonus
RampagingAntz27/05/2020 23:16

I swapped over to Bulb from E-on with no issues. Someone recommended us …I swapped over to Bulb from E-on with no issues. Someone recommended us and we both got £50 credit which was a bonus

Exactly what I did.
You need to get a fairly accurate estimate of a years energy useage (in KwH, not £s) - go through old bills to achieve this.
Then enter these details into the various comparison websites and select the companies you are interested in, making sure to press the button which reveals all deals and not just the ones which pay the most commission to the compsrison site.Then (using a speadsheet or pen/paper), work out the actual yearly cost, by multiplying the unit rates and adding the standing charges and checking if VAT is included and noteing exit fees. Then find out what cashback schemes are available. Once complete, you will have a list of real world prices which you can use to decide which are the best value. From there you just need to decide which companies you are comfortable using.

Please ignore any generic 'per month' quotes, as these are inaccurate and also be wary of comparison site recommendations, their interests are not the same as your interests.

TL:DR
Unit rates are what you need, not per month figures from comparison sites, friends or people like me (£56pm if you are interested).
Pandamansays28/05/2020 07:57

You need to get a fairly accurate estimate of a years energy useage (in …You need to get a fairly accurate estimate of a years energy useage (in KwH, not £s) - go through old bills to achieve this.Then enter these details into the various comparison websites and select the companies you are interested in, making sure to press the button which reveals all deals and not just the ones which pay the most commission to the compsrison site.Then (using a speadsheet or pen/paper), work out the actual yearly cost, by multiplying the unit rates and adding the standing charges and checking if VAT is included and noteing exit fees. Then find out what cashback schemes are available. Once complete, you will have a list of real world prices which you can use to decide which are the best value. From there you just need to decide which companies you are comfortable using. Please ignore any generic 'per month' quotes, as these are inaccurate and also be wary of comparison site recommendations, their interests are not the same as your interests. TL:DRUnit rates are what you need, not per month figures from comparison sites, friends or people like me (£56pm if you are interested).

Hi Pandamansays
Genuine question, do the comparison sites not do this work for you if you put in your estimated usage? Just wondering if I’ve been doing it wrong each year.
cheers
AngelBomber28/05/2020 08:08

Hi PandamansaysGenuine question, do the comparison sites not do this work …Hi PandamansaysGenuine question, do the comparison sites not do this work for you if you put in your estimated usage? Just wondering if I’ve been doing it wrong each year.cheers

Yes they do... You don't need a spreadsheet or pen and paper.... just a rough idea of your usage..... the calculations will be done for you.

Hi PandamansaysGenuine question, do the comparison sites not do this work …Hi PandamansaysGenuine question, do the comparison sites not do this work for you if you put in your estimated usage? Just wondering if I’ve been doing it wrong each year.cheers

Different websites will get you different prices.

Get a spreadsheet going,use a couple sites and have the quotes side by side to compare.

Using only one website like a lot do is,in my opinion,daft as you're trusting the lowest price without checking.
shorty you just compare gas/elec SC and and pKW usage. Work out your calculations and their you are. I always find I get the best deal.

Yes and no.

The results they return will depend on how much commission they recieve, which companies they have signed deals with etc. There will also be other factors at play such as how the comparison site interprets your data. Their interests are not the same as your interests.

You often hear of people who sign up with 'x' company at 'x' amount per month, only to find it gets increased later on. If you had accurate usage figures and are aware of the actual unit rates, then this is less likely to happen and if it does happen, you can call up the energy company and get it reversed.

I would say that trusting a comparison site will get you a good deal, but a bit of extra homework might get you a great deal. It's a balancing act between cost and convenience.
One other aspect is whether you have a smart meter. The earlier ones aren't transferable, so you may lose the functionality that you currently have. I've got one fitted by British Gas, and I'd have to go back to regular meter readings if I changed supplier. OK, it's not a big inconvenience, but my meter cupboards are in the garage that is not the tidiest place, so it's a bit awkward when the meter guy turns up and asks my wife if he can read the meter.

On the other hand, every time I've switched I always seem to end up with a British Gas tariff anyway, the only one that normally works out cheaper for me is nPower and I avoid them on principle. We have our boiler cover with BG as well and some of the tariffs come with a cover package included.
Pandamansays28/05/2020 08:33

Yes and no.The results they return will depend on how much commission they …Yes and no.The results they return will depend on how much commission they recieve, which companies they have signed deals with etc. There will also be other factors at play such as how the comparison site interprets your data. Their interests are not the same as your interests.You often hear of people who sign up with 'x' company at 'x' amount per month, only to find it gets increased later on. If you had accurate usage figures and are aware of the actual unit rates, then this is less likely to happen and if it does happen, you can call up the energy company and get it reversed.I would say that trusting a comparison site will get you a good deal, but a bit of extra homework might get you a great deal. It's a balancing act between cost and convenience.

Thanks buddy. All in all its the cost per unit which is important isn't it. Other costs like VAT are basically standard besides exit fees. Now the all important golden question who provides the cheapes per unit.
You could also sign up to sites like Flipper & Look After My Bills - they automatically switch you over to cheaper deals if it finds one.
tcotpatpwtcot28/05/2020 12:08

Thanks buddy. All in all its the cost per unit which is important isn't …Thanks buddy. All in all its the cost per unit which is important isn't it. Other costs like VAT are basically standard besides exit fees. Now the all important golden question who provides the cheapes per unit.

And daily standing charge as well
£40 for 2 adults in 2 bed flat.
rimalpatel00727/05/2020 20:38

I switched to British gas as comparison site tells me I'll be saving £98 …I switched to British gas as comparison site tells me I'll be saving £98 over one year plus got 1 years worth of boiler cover.

In case you didn't know, the cover will auto renew after 12 months so will need cancelling if you don't want to pay for it!
AdilMahboob28/05/2020 23:08

In case you didn't know, the cover will auto renew after 12 months so will …In case you didn't know, the cover will auto renew after 12 months so will need cancelling if you don't want to pay for it!

Thanks i am completely aware of this. I plan to change my boiler few months before then and will go with one that has 10year warranty. I will also be getting £30 tcb fingers crossed.
tcotpatpwtcot07/06/2020 15:42

Hi may I know who is your supplier?

It was Octopus energy for the last 2yrs. Now switched to British Gas fixed for 1yr at £37.
rimalpatel00707/06/2020 16:43

It was Octopus energy for the last 2yrs. Now switched to British Gas fixed …It was Octopus energy for the last 2yrs. Now switched to British Gas fixed for 1yr at £37.

Thanks
shef007227/05/2020 20:18

Try Yorkshire energy

I was with Outfox the Market and just switched to Yorshire Energy - direct debit went from £93 to £78 for dual fuel.

You need to log onto a comparison site as deals can change depending on your useage breakdown and where you live.
Post a comment
@
    Text