Gas & Electricity supplier change

Found 8th Oct 2016
Hi Guys

I'm residing in a rented house since July. The Gas n Electricity supplier for the house is Eon. I'm on a 12 month contract with the Landlord.
Am I allowed to change the Gas & Electricity supplier? If so will the new supplier be ok when we finish the contract and move house?

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

17 Comments

Unless we are your landlord, we can't answer your question.

What does your contract say, and have you actually asked your landlord this question? Surely they are your fist port of call.

I lived in a rental flat whilst waiting for my house to be built. During that time we were on a fixed term contract with Eon. We moved halfway through our fixed term and they were absolutely fine with it, no problems at all.

Ask your landlord and go to Switch with which first? This might give you a better picture. Then go via cash back website. Always separate the gas and electricity to get the best deal. It's worth it. Some of the comparison website are sponsored by some big companies, or they take turn to sponsor them. So beware. I would not go straight to Uswitch or compare the market as they usually get kick backs from big suppliers.

Original Poster

Thanks Guys. I will go ahead to contact my landlord and see if I could make a switch. Appreciate your responses. Ta

Legally you can switch if you are to pay for your gas and elec bills.
Edited by: "hijigu" 8th Oct 2016

Original Poster

hijigu

Legally you can switch you are to pay for your gas and elec bills.

Someone did say the same. Since I'm paying I can make the switch. I think it's better for me to just have a word with the land lord. Don't want to end up in any unnecessary issues

vassy4u

Someone did say the same. Since I'm paying I can make the switch. I think … Someone did say the same. Since I'm paying I can make the switch. I think it's better for me to just have a word with the land lord. Don't want to end up in any unnecessary issues

Yes. Check with the landlords but they shouldnt have any problem with that. I work in utility supplier so tenants are allowed to switch that I could tell.

You are free to choose to go with whoever you like for your utilities. Landlord does not have any say. Landlord cannot deny you access to the meter either as some lock the boxes.

Original Poster

hijigu

Yes. Check with the landlords but they shouldnt have any problem with … Yes. Check with the landlords but they shouldnt have any problem with that. I work in utility supplier so tenants are allowed to switch that I could tell.

Thanks

Remember if you change you are liable for any charges that the change causes, like if you leave a 12 month fixed tarrif.

If you are responsible for the bills directly paying to the supplier and not via the landlord or their " agent " then you can have whichever supplier you want.

So what happens if the tenant switches to a......For example 2 year fixed deal but then moves out of the property after a year or so, the landord is then stuck with the energy company the tenant set up until the fixed term ends or he/she will then be liable for the exit fees even thought they never set it up.

Original Poster

steevieboy4u

So what happens if the tenant switches to a......For example 2 year fixed … So what happens if the tenant switches to a......For example 2 year fixed deal but then moves out of the property after a year or so, the landord is then stuck with the energy company the tenant set up until the fixed term ends or he/she will then be liable for the exit fees even thought they never set it up.

there are companies that provide no fee exit.

Mate. Recently gov announced that tenant has right to change supplier.. try calling helpline of uswitch for free advise .. cheers

vassy4u

there are companies that provide no fee exit.

There maybe but the vast majority do charge

steevieboy4u

So what happens if the tenant switches to a......For example 2 year fixed … So what happens if the tenant switches to a......For example 2 year fixed deal but then moves out of the property after a year or so, the landord is then stuck with the energy company the tenant set up until the fixed term ends or he/she will then be liable for the exit fees even thought they never set it up.

The tenant (or whoever name is on the electricity / gas contract) is responsible for the exit fees if they break contract early. The energy company would chase the tenant, not the landlord

I too have just moved into a rented house. First thing i did was switch from british gas to SSE. Took a month to switch as there was an unpaid account. BG keep sending bills addressed for to the occupier.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415464
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2952
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…52115
    4. Wuntu codes give away22

See more discussions