Gas or electric cooker?

Posted 10th Dec 2019
I’ve always had a gas cooker but am considering an electric cooker.

What do you use and do you have a preference and if so which one and why?

I think I’ve always stuck with gas as I’ve heard electric cookers can be more expensive than gas cookers to run.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Gas hob, electric oven.
Heat control is much better on a gas hob, but an electric oven gives more consistent cooking.
17 Comments
Gas hob, electric oven.
Heat control is much better on a gas hob, but an electric oven gives more consistent cooking.
as said above, the best arrangement is a gas hob and electric cooker for best cooking results.
If you do any stirfrying you need a gas hob.
as the others have said a gas hob is miles better, i hated the electric hob i had in my old house used to take ages to cool down and heat up.
Agree with those comments above but the elements in lower end electric ovens are prone to fail , hence I stick to gas all round
Electric Hob & Oven for me. No gas in our house
I grew up with gas, but love electric. Electric fan ovens are superior to to gas. Depends on whether you go Induction or Halogen type hobs. Halogen aren't efficient, but some are poorer than others. Next time round, I'm going Induction....with new pots and pans😏😏
deleted1447778
Electric oven will cost more than gas to run, they use way more energy to reach the same temperature.

As for hobs gas is great but they don't tend to last as long, simply because they are more of a pain to clean, fine if you clean them every time but I don't know anyone who keeps that up in the long term, induction hobs are fantastic and easy to clean and will have a long life.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 10th Dec 2019
induction hob.

more efficient than gas and equally as controllable. Easy to clean too
gas gas gas
chimp14uk10/12/2019 15:12

Gas hob, electric oven.Heat control is much better on a gas hob, but an …Gas hob, electric oven.Heat control is much better on a gas hob, but an electric oven gives more consistent cooking.

I'm with the chimp.
i prefer gas, but happy to cook with either....
Duel fuel, if you want to bake you need an electric oven.
Gas hob. Electric drives me mad plus not great with kids as they stay hot for ages. Electric oven though
As a child I remember gas grilled fish fingers tasting way better than electric grill/oven cooked ones.

An induction hob either fitted or portable is a lot better than an electric hob. Such as ceramic. Induction can start heating things a lot quicker. Although you'll need induction compatible pots and pans.

An Instant Pot is very useful too.

Isn't a future government push for electric heating on the cards and dropping gas boiler heating systems? Could be years away though. If at all. Might be worth looking into if gas usage is planned to decline and end. All to do with environmental targets.
Thank you all so much for your replies. I’ve decided to go for a gas hob and the electric oven. You’ve been a great help as always.
XSerenityX11/12/2019 07:18

Thank you all so much for your replies. I’ve decided to go for a gas hob a …Thank you all so much for your replies. I’ve decided to go for a gas hob and the electric oven. You’ve been a great help as always.

don't forget to get a fan assisted self cleaning electric oven.
and if you ever get a new kitchen get one of those cupboard that house the oven above the work top level as they are easier to use than the ones under the work top.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions