Gas or electric induction hob

Found 19th FebEdited by:"papsyp"
Cannot decide which hob to have gas or electric. Any advice would be appreciated
Community Updates
AskElectronics
14 Comments
switched from gas to induction in 2010 and haven't looked back. Easy to clean. Just as responsive. And thats on a hob thats 8 years old. New ones will be better

If you dont already have a supply for the electric, you will need one. They don't plug into a 13 amp socket.
Edited by: "ccnp" 19th Feb
Had an induction hob cooker, They're good when they work but mine went faulty, The touch controls are annoying, Most are touch, If your fingers are slightly wet they don't respond. You can get some induction hobs with knobs, they might be better.

I think because they're quite technical there is more to go wrong with them, They've got various different sensors etc.. for example my hobs would only work if it detected a pan, It wouldn't work if you left a metal spoon on the hob etc.. It's great while they work but logically more to go wrong.
deleted1597344
Induction without a doubt wouldn’t have anything but now. Just make sure you get a decent brand and you can’t go wrong.
maybe because i didn't buy the most expensive model but my cheapish beko induction hob is ok but i would rather have gas, getting anything to simmer, on low, on induction is a total pain.
deleted159734419th Feb

Induction without a doubt wouldn’t have anything but now. Just make sure y …Induction without a doubt wouldn’t have anything but now. Just make sure you get a decent brand and you can’t go wrong.

Have you got gas or electric
I assume you have a suitable gas/electric supply nearby?

I have an induction hob, the only time I miss my old gas hob is on pancake day as you are moving the pan on/off the heat all the time.

Cost will also be a major factor, a gas hob is going to be a magnitude cheaper than a half decent induction hob. Also factor in the possibility that you might have to buy new saucepans as a lot of the cheaper ones don't work. The bases need to consist of a ferrous metal.
Hallsie22 m ago

I assume you have a suitable gas/electric supply nearby?I have an …I assume you have a suitable gas/electric supply nearby?I have an induction hob, the only time I miss my old gas hob is on pancake day as you are moving the pan on/off the heat all the time.Cost will also be a major factor, a gas hob is going to be a magnitude cheaper than a half decent induction hob. Also factor in the possibility that you might have to buy new saucepans as a lot of the cheaper ones don't work. The bases need to consist of a ferrous metal.

Doh! Had completely forgotten about saucepans. Can be a pain in that small pans may not work on large rings and not all Induction pans actually work. We went and bought a set of Aga stainless ones in a sale and they look good.

But despite this, I still vote Induction.

Another excellent choice is a boiling water tap. Not the expensive Quoker (or however you spell its silly name). Insinkerator do a very good one at a fraction of the price.
deleted1597344
papsyp1 h, 22 m ago

Have you got gas or electric

I thought induction hobs were electric only.
Another vote for induction hob here - they are really easy to keep clean, you can wipe up spills quickly without burning yourself or melting the cloth you are using.
The surface still gets hot, there's no way to avoid that, but it's not as hot as other types of hobs - the heat of the hob is due to the heat of the pot on the surface.

Some of the elements make a bit of noise - like a hum, that'll be the electromagnets doing their thing, it's not loud, but sometimes noticeable.
I bought a set of pots from pro-cook - currently you can get a four piece set for £90 and they throw in some utensils and a nice X50 knife.
here is an article to explain the pro and con for the two. looks like they have voted induction.

ukwhitegoods.co.uk/hel…hob

i prefer a gas hob as i find it heats better and more evenly (may just be my imagination though!) but we install induction hobs in our rental properties because it prevents tenants burning the property down and we don't have to fork out for the extortionate cost of having to get gas appliance safety checks every year.

we have a gas hob at our own home but whenever i have had to use an induction hob elsewhere, like on holiday or when we stay at one of our rental properties, i don't like the induction hob at all, i much prefer the gas hob. i don't have to do the cleaning though, so my attitude may not be the same if i did have to clean it
Another vote for induction. I have had mine for 15 years and never had a problem with it and still looks as good as new. The hob only heats up to the size of the saucepan you put on it. Easy to keep clean and most pans come as suitable for induction hobs. If a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan it will be alright for induction hobs. If mine is accidentally left on it bleeps and then switches itself off so no danger of anything catching fire.
mutley14 h, 5 m ago

here is an article to explain the pro and con for the two. looks like …here is an article to explain the pro and con for the two. looks like they have voted induction.http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/cooking-products/4011-gas-or-induction-hobi prefer a gas hob as i find it heats better and more evenly (may just be my imagination though!) but we install induction hobs in our rental properties because it prevents tenants burning the property down and we don't have to fork out for the extortionate cost of having to get gas appliance safety checks every year.we have a gas hob at our own home but whenever i have had to use an induction hob elsewhere, like on holiday or when we stay at one of our rental properties, i don't like the induction hob at all, i much prefer the gas hob. i don't have to do the cleaning though, so my attitude may not be the same if i did have to clean it

I find the hobs made of enamel are a pain to clean.

I grew up with a gas hob and it was made of a steely material and would clean very easily.

The enamel hob I have here is electric and gets dirty so quick as stuff sticks to it and the only way for me to get it clean is by using oven cleaner on it. Nothing else shifts the dirt.
hearts224 h, 24 m ago

I find the hobs made of enamel are a pain to clean. I grew up with a gas …I find the hobs made of enamel are a pain to clean. I grew up with a gas hob and it was made of a steely material and would clean very easily. The enamel hob I have here is electric and gets dirty so quick as stuff sticks to it and the only way for me to get it clean is by using oven cleaner on it. Nothing else shifts the dirt.

i have only ever had to clean my parents' gas hob and it is not pleasant by any means. they are made of stainless steel and i use cif cream, which pretty much vaporise any grime.

i have never had to clean an induction hob but it looks a lot simpler to do as the surface is completely flat. in terms of looks, the induction hob looks much better and more modern so makes the kitchen look nicer. i would vote for the induction hob for its looks and ease of cleaning, but i would vote for the gas hob because i am me. lol
I'd go for gas....just because gas costs a lot less per unit than electricity.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants