Groups

gas oven advise please

ok im cheesed off now.....

i have a gas cooker.....cooking tea and the oven cut out....i ignite it again but the ignition wont hold....top rings are fine....any ideas of whats wrong please...

is it the oven or gas supply? who do i need to contact about it? yes im stooopid

really dont need this with xmas already beeing an issue

boohoooo

oh and was planning an oven cooked curry tomorrow....can i cook this in a pan on top? lmao

20 Comments

you can cook the curry on the hob

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6452038

you can cook the curry on the hob

yay ty, i alway bung it all in a big dish and stick in the oven :-D

loupomm;6452049

yay ty, i alway bung it all in a big dish and stick in the oven :-D

it easy that way isnt it

I fry the onions first and then the meat... then add the spices and the veggies add whatever liquids you're using like coconut milk, tinned tomatoes etc and let it all cook down xxx

Original Poster

mikebike;6452055

Try these … Try these ....http://www.repaircare.co.uk/?gclid=CK_ctJqgnJ0CFZQA4wodBG8J3A

oohhh thank you - £116 quoted (insert fed up smiley)

does it sound like the cooker? dont wanna call out if a gas supply issue :oops:

I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest that if the top rings are fine, then there's obviously gas getting through, so it's unlikely to be a fault with the gas supply.

loupomm;6452089

oohhh thank you - £116 quoted (insert fed up smiley)does it sound like … oohhh thank you - £116 quoted (insert fed up smiley)does it sound like the cooker? dont wanna call out if a gas supply issue :oops:

Not cheap I know but to me it does sound like the cooker to me as the oven does have a thermocouple that holds the flame on the pilot light not a costly part but you have to be a Registered Gas Safe Engineer to do the works. Have a look in your local paper and see if there is a ad in the classifieds. Best of luck:thumbsup:

civms47;6452138

I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest that if the top rings are fine, then … I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest that if the top rings are fine, then there's obviously gas getting through, so it's unlikely to be a fault with the gas supply.

+1

Original Poster

civms47;6452138

I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest that if the top rings are fine, then … I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest that if the top rings are fine, then there's obviously gas getting through, so it's unlikely to be a fault with the gas supply.

yes i thought this....but a while ago i had similar issues with it ccutting out but at the time was also having issues with my central heating....had someone alter the 'gas flow' and it was fine since, but then it would cut out but go back on, this time it wont stay ignited at all

Original Poster

thank you guys.....will have to eat off the rings till i can afford a call out, boiled turkey for xmas dinner :giggle:

rep left xx

mikebike;6452142

Not cheap I know but to me it does sound like the cooker to me as the … Not cheap I know but to me it does sound like the cooker to me as the oven does have a thermocouple that holds the flame on the pilot light not a costly part but you have to be a Registered Gas Safe Engineer to do the works. Have a look in your local paper and see if there is a ad in the classifieds. Best of luck:thumbsup:

+1

If you normally have to hold in the oven knob for a moment or two after you've lit it, there's a flame failure device on the burner in the oven.

What you describe sounds like the flame failure sensor (thermocouple) has failed.

Shouldn't be too expensive (relatively :-( ) to do, but you're supposed to use a registered engineer.

I would check out the price of a new cooker before paying over the top to an engineer Try phoning the gas supplyer and say you have a gas leak cause you can smell gas, when he arrivesbe surprised act a bit dumb this is normaly free he'll--ell say theres no leak but you can say oh is it to do with the cooker he'll probabley have a quiock look for ya and perhaps Bobs your uncle, then again perhaps not

If you have had it a while and seeing repairs are crazy high,maybe consider just buying a new cooker.

The oven will only stay lit if the thermocouple is doing its job. If there is no flame, it will cut the gas supply. These fail frequently and usually are quite cheap to purchase but requires a Gas Safe installer (formerly CORGI) to fit. Just remember, if he quotes an arm and a leg, will you be able to ignite the oven with one hand?:w00t:

Original Poster

ok...i got it to stay on....but not long for....so does that mean its the same problem? or a different one?

Original Poster

if it was due to a spill surely it wouldnt come on at all, not cut out after a while

loupomm;6452452

ok...i got it to stay on....but not long for....so does that mean its … ok...i got it to stay on....but not long for....so does that mean its the same problem? or a different one?

it's not dirty/blocked is it babe? x

Original Poster

loupomm;6452493

if it was due to a spill surely it wouldnt come on at all, not cut out … if it was due to a spill surely it wouldnt come on at all, not cut out after a while

ClarityofMind;6452530

it's not dirty/blocked is it babe? x

this was suggested, hence my post above, i thought then it wouldnt come on surely, not stay on n cut out :?

i dont like the whole gas worry thing....i might just get an electric cooker :oops:

loupomm;6452560

this was suggested, hence my post above, i thought then it wouldnt come … this was suggested, hence my post above, i thought then it wouldnt come on surely, not stay on n cut out :?i dont like the whole gas worry thing....i might just get an electric cooker :oops:

I have electric xxx

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6452568

I have electric xxx

ive had both in the past, prefer cooking on gas, but as i said, i worry, so off to search for a good deal on an electric oven :whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31121
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …109234
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?34214
      4. GOT Leaks again1022

See more discussions