Gas smart meter second generation

Posted 18th Dec 2019
Anyone got a gas smart meter 2nd generation and can comment on whether you have had any trouble with it?

I have the first generation electric smart meter from EDF but I am now with AVRO. I just send AVRO the readings manually as they can't get access to the first generation smart meter. Not a problem for me so I am not bothered.

My dad has been given an appointment by NPower to have the smart meters installed for both gas and electric, second generation. I am thinking that it is OK for the electric meter but I have not had experience of the smart gas meter and would like to hear from anyone with the gas one.

Also I had some sort of digital clock with my EDF smart meter that tells me the meter reading from the external meter located in the garage. I assume my dad will get the same but does he need to use it? Does that need to be live to send the meter readings to NPower?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
Took Shell 3 months to get mine working . Now it is ok with the daily readings /usage but if I look at previous day's usage it's often out by a factor of 10.
yorkie1218/12/2019 13:30

Took Shell 3 months to get mine working . Now it is ok with the daily …Took Shell 3 months to get mine working . Now it is ok with the daily readings /usage but if I look at previous day's usage it's often out by a factor of 10.

is it the gas one that you are referring to? when you say it is out by a factor of 10, what does that mean exactly? i assume this is an error in the data log and not an actual issue with the reading sent over to your gas provider?

also do you have the digital monitor that you can use indoors?
yorkie1218/12/2019 13:30

Took Shell 3 months to get mine working . Now it is ok with the daily …Took Shell 3 months to get mine working . Now it is ok with the daily readings /usage but if I look at previous day's usage it's often out by a factor of 10.

Are you reading the wrong decimal place or wrong number of zeros, or are you saying that you used 1,000 meter cube of gas but meter is reading 10,000 meter cube? This is what is meant by a factor of 10.
splender18/12/2019 13:37

Are you reading the wrong decimal place or wrong number of zeros, or are …Are you reading the wrong decimal place or wrong number of zeros, or are you saying that you used 1,000 meter cube of gas but meter is reading 10,000 meter cube? This is what is meant by a factor of 10.

No ! Say today we use £5 of energy (Gas +Electricity) , if I look at todays date later on next week it will say something like £49.95 used. Any historical data on the in home display is garbage. It dose send the correct data to Shell and the usage graphs on my account are correct, therefore Shell are not in a hurry to put the display unit right. Been over 6 months now and all they say is it's a known software problem.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 18th Dec 2019
yorkie1218/12/2019 14:24

No ! Say today we use £5 of energy (Gas +Electricity) , if I look at …No ! Say today we use £5 of energy (Gas +Electricity) , if I look at todays date later on next week it will say something like £49.95 used. Any historical data on the in home display is garbage. It dose send the correct data to Shell and the usage graphs on my account are correct, therefore Shell are not in a hurry to put the display unit right. Been over 6 months now and all they say is it's a known software problem.

I am guessing, this sounds to me like today is today's usage, the factor of 10 amount after a week, could be the week to date cummulative usage?
splender18/12/2019 14:33

I am guessing, this sounds to me like today is today's usage, the factor …I am guessing, this sounds to me like today is today's usage, the factor of 10 amount after a week, could be the week to date cummulative usage?

If that was the case , I would have said so , the energy used so far this week , etc is also wrong. The only correct figure on the display is the current days use.If I look back at the cumulative use for last week it will be £600 and don't come back and say that's for the year todate as it bills once a month.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 18th Dec 2019
yorkie1218/12/2019 14:41

If that was the case , I would have said so , the energy used so far this …If that was the case , I would have said so , the energy used so far this week , etc is also wrong. The only correct figure on the display is the current days use.If I look back at the cumulative use for last week it will be £600 and don't come back and say that's for the year todate as it bills once a month.

That's for the year
Yeah we had 2nd gen fitted by edf for gas and electricity... We cha ged over to British gas and they can't get the readings somehow and want to install their own... :/
Douglas_Birks18/12/2019 18:39

Yeah we had 2nd gen fitted by edf for gas and electricity... We cha ged …Yeah we had 2nd gen fitted by edf for gas and electricity... We cha ged over to British gas and they can't get the readings somehow and want to install their own... :/

2nd generation smart meters are supposed to be transferable to other providers. the email my dad got said it was transferable as it is a 2nd generation. did you ever have any issue while you were with EDF? also did you need the small monitor to be active for the meter to work?
2nd gen are not transferable, I have one and just moved to British gas and they can't use it, what a total waste of time and money
The whole idea of Smets2 is they are supposed to be transferable between suppliers.
Scuba Dudes ...lol
mutley118/12/2019 18:44

2nd generation smart meters are supposed to be transferable to other …2nd generation smart meters are supposed to be transferable to other providers. the email my dad got said it was transferable as it is a 2nd generation. did you ever have any issue while you were with EDF? also did you need the small monitor to be active for the meter to work?

I know they are supposed to be lol, so far our 2nd gen somehow isn't.... No issue with edf but since we transferred British gas haven't got a single reading off us
Avoid smart meters, there really is very little advantage for the customer anyhow for a smart meter.
davewave19/12/2019 05:22

Avoid smart meters, there really is very little advantage for the …Avoid smart meters, there really is very little advantage for the customer anyhow for a smart meter.

unfortunately not quite true. like you i despise them but you are pretty much locked out of a substantial amount of deals if you dont have/wont take one. I finally succumbed three weeks ago( in the end my wallet out principled my principles)
its a useful gadget no denying.. but its not worth an extra 17% of bills to me :-( agree with your point in principal though!
Edited by: "ogeran" 19th Dec 2019
ogeran19/12/2019 11:40

unfortunately not quite true. like you i despise them but you are pretty …unfortunately not quite true. like you i despise them but you are pretty much locked out of a substantial amount of deals if you dont have/wont take one. I finally succumbed three weeks ago( in the end my wallet out principled my principles)its a useful gadget no denying.. but its not worth an extra 17% of bills to me :-( agree with your point in principal though!

what sort of deal are you referring to? i always get a quote for energy tariff when my tariff comes to an end and i have never come across deals where the tariff is tied into a smart meter installation.
I'm unique, I use yearly average5 kWh a day leccy. And around 50kwh a year Gas. Although you can rightly dismiss my figures as unusual and not representative of most I can assure you it actually highlights the difference in tariffs the energy companies now have to charge to recoup the losses that are enforced upon them . edit: I am also on/always been on prepay as it suits me both financially and convenience wise
Edited by: "ogeran" 19th Dec 2019
ogeran19/12/2019 13:02

I'm unique, I use yearly average5 kWh a day leccy. And around 50kwh a year …I'm unique, I use yearly average5 kWh a day leccy. And around 50kwh a year Gas. Although you can rightly dismiss my figures as unusual and not representative of most I can assure you it actually highlights the difference in tariffs the energy companies now have to charge to recoup the losses that are enforced upon them . edit: I am also on/always been on prepay as it suits me both financially and convenience wise

but i still don't understand the relevance of you having to have a smart meter. i assume you mean because your usage is so different to the average, the energy supplier would not accept your monthly submitted readings because they don't look right, but on a smart meter they know for sure it is correct even if it looks odd?

a prepay tariff is always going to be more expensive than a standard meter tariff. i thought the smart meter were only for standard tariff as i can't see why the supplier would need the readings for a prepay tariff as the cost of the usage is deducted immediately from the prepaid key fob?
Edited by: "mutley1" 19th Dec 2019
In a meeting will reply asap with details.if you have time look at my options online with my usage. ( I pay 0.00 standing/daily charge)
ogeran19/12/2019 13:45

In a meeting will reply asap with details.if you have time look at my …In a meeting will reply asap with details.if you have time look at my options online with my usage. ( I pay 0.00 standing/daily charge)

lol
mutley119/12/2019 14:06

lol

Technically prepay is more expensive, you are indeed correct. However if your usage on average is £1 a day ( I base this on 13 years same flat paying bills)then prepay actually becomes competitive.. well it used to before the meters were foisted upon all the energy companies. I was with ebico who were a non profit company and they had to charge me around 20% more. I say this because when I rang they were honest and said that due to the rising costs of above meters they had nooooo choice but to jack up the prices. I avoided meters by constantly jumping ships supplier wise until they said unless I got a meter they'd charge me more ( in their defence, it was always upfront in their various t&C's) in the end I could only find one single company who would do a zero standing charge and even then I kept them at bay for six months. If you think about it, even a 10p a meter a day increases my costs by 20%, yet alone the average 20p a day. I said before my case is unique. Nonetheless it sums up the reality of meters and options quite starkly. I don't know if you had a chance to look on line but if you can beat a total of £1.21 a day for two meters and 5 units of leccy then you're a better man than me. I pay 21% extra pretty much purely down to meters. Sorry for looooong reply!
ogeran19/12/2019 15:50

Technically prepay is more expensive, you are indeed correct. However if …Technically prepay is more expensive, you are indeed correct. However if your usage on average is £1 a day ( I base this on 13 years same flat paying bills)then prepay actually becomes competitive.. well it used to before the meters were foisted upon all the energy companies. I was with ebico who were a non profit company and they had to charge me around 20% more. I say this because when I rang they were honest and said that due to the rising costs of above meters they had nooooo choice but to jack up the prices. I avoided meters by constantly jumping ships supplier wise until they said unless I got a meter they'd charge me more ( in their defence, it was always upfront in their various t&C's) in the end I could only find one single company who would do a zero standing charge and even then I kept them at bay for six months. If you think about it, even a 10p a meter a day increases my costs by 20%, yet alone the average 20p a day. I said before my case is unique. Nonetheless it sums up the reality of meters and options quite starkly. I don't know if you had a chance to look on line but if you can beat a total of £1.21 a day for two meters and 5 units of leccy then you're a better man than me. I pay 21% extra pretty much purely down to meters. Sorry for looooong reply!

Ps outfox the market technically have a cheaper tartiff but... If you look closely you have to pay up front quite a substantial amount per unit to 'cover' the winter peaks only making it cheaper if I'm with them 8 months maybe even a year..
ogeran19/12/2019 16:16

Ps outfox the market technically have a cheaper tartiff but... If you look …Ps outfox the market technically have a cheaper tartiff but... If you look closely you have to pay up front quite a substantial amount per unit to 'cover' the winter peaks only making it cheaper if I'm with them 8 months maybe even a year..

i put my usage into uswitch when my tariff comes to an end and move to the cheapest energy provider at the time. it is so easy to move energy supplier nowadays that it is always best to do a comparison when a fixed tariff comes to an end. i find that energy tariffs change year on year and providers that may be the cheapest this year will no longer be so the following year, so it is always worth shopping around.

the smart meter will be no good if you move supplier regularly as they will just become a normal meter. the second generation smart meters, which are supposed to be transferable, do not appear to be the case in practice from the comments.

outfox the market did come up on my list a few months ago when i did a comparison but they have very poor customer service and people have had bad experiences with them so i have gone with AVRO, which is slightly more expensive but is a more reliable company. i avoid the bad companies as closing your account with them is not always easy and they can end up taking too much money from you and you will struggle to get it back, Scottish Power, for example, is one to avoid.
mutley119/12/2019 16:33

i put my usage into uswitch when my tariff comes to an end and move to the …i put my usage into uswitch when my tariff comes to an end and move to the cheapest energy provider at the time. it is so easy to move energy supplier nowadays that it is always best to do a comparison when a fixed tariff comes to an end. i find that energy tariffs change year on year and providers that may be the cheapest this year will no longer be so the following year, so it is always worth shopping around.the smart meter will be no good if you move supplier regularly as they will just become a normal meter. the second generation smart meters, which are supposed to be transferable, do not appear to be the case in practice from the comments.outfox the market did come up on my list a few months ago when i did a comparison but they have very poor customer service and people have had bad experiences with them so i have gone with AVRO, which is slightly more expensive but is a more reliable company. i avoid the bad companies as closing your account with them is not always easy and they can end up taking too much money from you and you will struggle to get it back, Scottish Power, for example, is one to avoid.

I agree with everything you say. Scottish power are the devil in disguise, outfox the market awful and probably will be bankrupt by the summer. meters not working when you swap etc .. it is truly a shi*e show out there unfortunately I still have to stand by my original comment about having no meter does limit your options/add expense which is not only no fault of the suppliers but something I really really wish I was wrong on.. believe me I literally paid NOT to have a meter in a real sense but eventually.. sigh.. it's fascinating how the media openly blame the energy companies or at least don't highlight the financial yoke put upon them by the government alone.
At least with HotUKDeals we can collaborate and find deals to help !
mutley119/12/2019 16:33

i put my usage into uswitch when my tariff comes to an end and move to the …i put my usage into uswitch when my tariff comes to an end and move to the cheapest energy provider at the time. it is so easy to move energy supplier nowadays that it is always best to do a comparison when a fixed tariff comes to an end. i find that energy tariffs change year on year and providers that may be the cheapest this year will no longer be so the following year, so it is always worth shopping around.the smart meter will be no good if you move supplier regularly as they will just become a normal meter. the second generation smart meters, which are supposed to be transferable, do not appear to be the case in practice from the comments.outfox the market did come up on my list a few months ago when i did a comparison but they have very poor customer service and people have had bad experiences with them so i have gone with AVRO, which is slightly more expensive but is a more reliable company. i avoid the bad companies as closing your account with them is not always easy and they can end up taking too much money from you and you will struggle to get it back, Scottish Power, for example, is one to avoid.

PS your original question which I forgot! I'm gonna assume you have no smart meter.. just go online and do a comparison on your personal usage.. one with a smart meter and another one without a smart meter. Initially you'll get less options without a meter. Closely followed by no meter but if you agree to install one . I wouldn't be shocked if the comparison wasn't a huge difference financially although I'd be surprised.. I WOULD be shocked however if you don't get less options without a meter.
ogeran19/12/2019 17:24

PS your original question which I forgot! I'm gonna assume you have no …PS your original question which I forgot! I'm gonna assume you have no smart meter.. just go online and do a comparison on your personal usage.. one with a smart meter and another one without a smart meter. Initially you'll get less options without a meter. Closely followed by no meter but if you agree to install one . I wouldn't be shocked if the comparison wasn't a huge difference financially although I'd be surprised.. I WOULD be shocked however if you don't get less options without a meter.

are you using uswitch? i never see the meter question when i use uswitch site to do the comparison.
mutley119/12/2019 17:29

are you using uswitch? i never see the meter question when i use uswitch …are you using uswitch? i never see the meter question when i use uswitch site to do the comparison.

I use several sites including Martin Lewis. There's normally a box you tick on most sites asking do you want to see suppliers not approved by the website .. if you can't find it don't worry ..for the purpose of the exercise simply put in your personal usage with a meter .. then use a different browser for without a meter .. unfortunately you'll get less options for no meter. I normally use around half a dozen of the top websites.. it's a truly fascinating exercise
ogeran19/12/2019 17:34

I use several sites including Martin Lewis. There's normally a box you …I use several sites including Martin Lewis. There's normally a box you tick on most sites asking do you want to see suppliers not approved by the website .. if you can't find it don't worry ..for the purpose of the exercise simply put in your personal usage with a meter .. then use a different browser for without a meter .. unfortunately you'll get less options for no meter. I normally use around half a dozen of the top websites.. it's a truly fascinating exercise

interesting. i do see the question about whether i would like to see suppliers that are not available through direct click on the site, and i always choose this option as the cheapest supplier may then show.

i also have a spreadsheet set up where i put in the units used annually, the unit price and daily standing charge and i calculate the annual cost myself from the unit price quoted against what i am currently offered from my existing provider. i find that the calculations done by uswitch is not always accurate and my own calculations can give a different result as to which is the cheapest provider.

sounds long winded but it isn't really and the saving is worth the effort for me.

i do have a smart meter for the electricity but it is the first generation meter from EDF and so it is not transferable to another provider. i have to give manual readings to AVRO, my existing provider, monthly. the gas meter is not a smart meter, just the old style one.
mutley119/12/2019 17:43

interesting. i do see the question about whether i would like to see …interesting. i do see the question about whether i would like to see suppliers that are not available through direct click on the site, and i always choose this option as the cheapest supplier may then show.i also have a spreadsheet set up where i put in the units used annually, the unit price and daily standing charge and i calculate the annual cost myself from the unit price quoted against what i am currently offered from my existing provider. i find that the calculations done by uswitch is not always accurate and my own calculations can give a different result as to which is the cheapest provider.sounds long winded but it isn't really and the saving is worth the effort for me.i do have a smart meter for the electricity but it is the first generation meter from EDF and so it is not transferable to another provider. i have to give manual readings to AVRO, my existing provider, monthly. the gas meter is not a smart meter, just the old style one.

So have you tried running your figures with as opposed to without a meter?
ogeran19/12/2019 17:45

So have you tried running your figures with as opposed to without a meter?

no. until your comment, i have not come across the smart meter option so never got the tariff details for with and without smart meter. i am on a fixed tariff at the moment as i have only switched recently but when that expires, i will have a look into this meter option that you are referring to as i would install a smart meter if the tariff on offer is cheaper
mutley119/12/2019 17:49

no. until your comment, i have not come across the smart meter option so …no. until your comment, i have not come across the smart meter option so never got the tariff details for with and without smart meter. i am on a fixed tariff at the moment as i have only switched recently but when that expires, i will have a look into this meter option that you are referring to as i would install a smart meter if the tariff on offer is cheaper

To be fair you can do it right now in a few moments.. if I'm right the first search ( with meter) will provide 'X amount' of results .the second search ( no meter) will provide 'z amount' of results.
Which all things going well will hopefully show my first point ( less options) in an instant.
My second point ( more expensive) isn't 100% guaranteed but I reckon in the high 90's .. I check on average once a month as I joined the Martin Lewis energy group online which compares for me once a month but nonetheless I usually do a manual check too. Funnily enough i used to knock on doors selling southern electric when the UK government first introduced the de-regulation of energy suppliers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions