Expired

Gas/Electric quotes

Found 29th JunEdited by:"FUAARRKK"
Hey, I'm doing a price comparision for my parents gas/electric, currently they pay about £70/month for god knows what tariff on an end terrace in london. Can someone suggest what tariff to get on if we haven't a clue as to what our usage maybe? What usually is cheaper, gas electric with same supplier or separate?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
36 Comments
What they pay is irrelevant. Its the unit prices they pay that you need to compare so check the latest bill.
Compare tariffs on a comparison site such as uSwitch, put in as much detail as you can by using previous annual usage from last years bills. Usually getting a dual fuel policy where one supplier supplies both gas and electric will give an additional discount. If you don’t recognise the names of the energy suppliers it gives you (if you search low to high) then just scroll down until you see a well known suppliers name. Also take into consideration customer service ratings as last week I rang my energy company (iresa) only to be told I was 182nd in the queue.
Also, if you/they opt for paperless billing and pay monthly by DIrect Debit this may bring the monthly bill down. Just be aware that the quotation will be a monthly price averaged out over the year, so you may be in arrears by December but back in credit by June as obviously you won’t use the heating in the warmer months.
I’ve just switched back to Sse (Scottish Power), it wasn’t the cheapest (about 6th down the list) but opted to pay a few pounds extra per month with the knowledge that they’ll answer the phone in a timely matter and resolve any problems I might have.
P.S. If you do sign up to a new supplier on a fixed rate tariff (single or dual fuel) you can swap tariffs free of charge within your term as long as you remain with your supplier. Some fixed rates do have an early exit penalty fee, so factor that in as well when making your decision just in case you might want to leave and go elsewhere
And don’t forget to check Quidco and Topcashback as they sometimes have good cashback rates if you do decide to switch energy suppliers
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 29th Jun
Have you not got the bills in hand?

If they are reluctant to change new supplier, just ring up their existing and ask for cheapest fixes tariff
Cisco06060614 m ago

Have you not got the bills in hand?If they are reluctant to change new …Have you not got the bills in hand?If they are reluctant to change new supplier, just ring up their existing and ask for cheapest fixes tariff

Nope, ma used to receive the bills via email and she went a bit ditzy recently and lost access to that e-mail. I think they recently got quoted £65-70 for both utilities.

They will gladly change supplier, just looking for a good quote. Best i've gotten is about £75 via moneysupermarket comparison.
Which supplier is that with?
which supplier is she currently with
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 29th Jun
Toptrumpet4 m ago

Which supplier is that with?which supplier is she currently with

She is with first utility, that was a company called igloo.
We used 12000kwh gas and 4000kwh electric although these figures vary each year. I'd look at ovo as that's who I put outlaws on with and mother in law enters readings on smartphone. That was a surprise. I'm with outfox the market as a punt. Do a search based on the figures above as medium user (about).Outlaws pay £69pm and £250 in credit at mo as use less gas and electricity than us in their 3 bed detached. They don't have dishwasher and only 1 TV. No cable or sat ect. No pc or Internet.
Edited by: "wayners" 29th Jun
If she’s currently with igloo, has she got a smart meter that automatically doesthe meter readings?
Toptrumpet1 m ago

If she’s currently with igloo, has she got a smart meter that a …If she’s currently with igloo, has she got a smart meter that automatically doesthe meter readings?

no sorry she is with first utility, the cheapest quote i got was from igloo of £75
Ok, I think igloo is one of these forward thinking energy companies that will expect you to fit a smart meter. Whilst that may be a good idea (so she doesn’t have to worry about meter readings and she can see the usage herself) the meter fitted will be redundant if say next year she decides to switch supplier again as smart meters are not universally compatible with all the energy companies.
How much is 1st well known energy supplier on the list?
I’m talking Sainsbury’s, Sse, Eon etc..
Toptrumpet7 m ago

Ok, I think igloo is one of these forward thinking energy companies that …Ok, I think igloo is one of these forward thinking energy companies that will expect you to fit a smart meter. Whilst that may be a good idea (so she doesn’t have to worry about meter readings and she can see the usage herself) the meter fitted will be redundant if say next year she decides to switch supplier again as smart meters are not universally compatible with all the energy companies.

I heard the the 1st gen meters will work if you change supplier at some point. We will see but it's what I heard on radio a few months back. Guess it's no help to those that are stuck
wayners2 m ago

I heard the the 1st gen meters will work if you change supplier at some …I heard the the 1st gen meters will work if you change supplier at some point. We will see but it's what I heard on radio a few months back. Guess it's no help to those that are stuck

So, what’s gong to happen? In theory you could end up with 5 different smart meters outside your house or under the stairs? Do any energy companies remove the boxes if you switch
As already mentioned, quotes of £xx per month are generally useless. It's the unit rate per Kw and the daily rate you need to compare.
Toptrumpet11 h, 54 m ago

So, what’s gong to happen? In theory you could end up with 5 different s …So, what’s gong to happen? In theory you could end up with 5 different smart meters outside your house or under the stairs? Do any energy companies remove the boxes if you switch

Keep your SMETS 1 meter and it will work with all the suppliers if you change. No need to get it swapped for the SMETS 2. That's what they said. Not sure if I believe that. Heard on BBC Money Box I think.
chocci14 h, 14 m ago

What they pay is irrelevant. Its the unit prices they pay that you need to …What they pay is irrelevant. Its the unit prices they pay that you need to compare so check the latest bill.

You also have to consider standing charges!
wayners1 h, 8 m ago

Keep your SMETS 1 meter and it will work with all the suppliers if you …Keep your SMETS 1 meter and it will work with all the suppliers if you change. No need to get it swapped for the SMETS 2. That's what they said. Not sure if I believe that. Heard on BBC Money Box I think.

No, they just turn into dumb meters. You manually read them if you change supplier.
Toptrumpet13 h, 3 m ago

So, what’s gong to happen? In theory you could end up with 5 different s …So, what’s gong to happen? In theory you could end up with 5 different smart meters outside your house or under the stairs? Do any energy companies remove the boxes if you switch

They exchange them.
wayners1 h, 24 m ago

Keep your SMETS 1 meter and it will work with all the suppliers if you …Keep your SMETS 1 meter and it will work with all the suppliers if you change. No need to get it swapped for the SMETS 2. That's what they said. Not sure if I believe that. Heard on BBC Money Box I think.

you heard wrong. All smets1 meters will stop working in 2020 when 3G is switched off. A colossal waste of bill payers money as the implementation costs of the meters are passed on to everyone in our bills!

moneyhighstreet.com/why…ed/
Toptrumpet29th Jun

Ok, I think igloo is one of these forward thinking energy companies that …Ok, I think igloo is one of these forward thinking energy companies that will expect you to fit a smart meter. Whilst that may be a good idea (so she doesn’t have to worry about meter readings and she can see the usage herself) the meter fitted will be redundant if say next year she decides to switch supplier again as smart meters are not universally compatible with all the energy companies.

I had a look, they're on First Variable 2.

Electricity:
Unit rate 20.404p per kWh
Standing charge 14.86p per day

Gas:
Unit rate 3.434p per kWh
Standing charge 37.36p per day

The usage might be way higher than actual, I don't think they've had meter readings in a long while + they have solar panels done recently.

What should I look for, variable or fixed? First utility have an online offer on my account page, £68/month for 14 months fixed.

These have been the bills for the past few months:

Jun £30.34
May £43.85
Apr £64.55
Mar £92.24
Feb £99.98
Jan £100.18
Dec 17 £98.41
Nov 17 £74.32
Oct 17 £42.67
Sep 17 £35.97
FUAARRKK1 h, 44 m ago

I had a look, they're on First Variable 2. Electricity:Unit rate 20.404p …I had a look, they're on First Variable 2. Electricity:Unit rate 20.404p per kWhStanding charge 14.86p per dayGas:Unit rate 3.434p per kWhStanding charge 37.36p per dayThe usage might be way higher than actual, I don't think they've had meter readings in a long while + they have solar panels done recently.What should I look for, variable or fixed? First utility have an online offer on my account page, £68/month for 14 months fixed.These have been the bills for the past few months:Jun £30.34May £43.85Apr £64.55Mar £92.24Feb £99.98Jan £100.18Dec 17 £98.41Nov 17 £74.32Oct 17 £42.67Sep 17 £35.97

Wow! That electric unit rate is incredible. Never seen one that high before. I pay 13p per kwh (octopus energy). I will say it again. The monthly payment quoted is irrelevant. You need to compare unit rates (and standing charge).

• ElectricityFlexible Octopus January 2017 v1

Unit rate13.28p per kWhStanding charge18.90p per day

• GasFlexible Octopus January 2017 v1

Unit rate3.15p per kWhStanding charge18.90p per day
Edited by: "chocci" 2nd Jul
FUAARRKK3 h, 43 m ago

I had a look, they're on First Variable 2. Electricity:Unit rate 20.404p …I had a look, they're on First Variable 2. Electricity:Unit rate 20.404p per kWhStanding charge 14.86p per dayGas:Unit rate 3.434p per kWhStanding charge 37.36p per dayThe usage might be way higher than actual, I don't think they've had meter readings in a long while + they have solar panels done recently.What should I look for, variable or fixed? First utility have an online offer on my account page, £68/month for 14 months fixed.These have been the bills for the past few months:Jun £30.34May £43.85Apr £64.55Mar £92.24Feb £99.98Jan £100.18Dec 17 £98.41Nov 17 £74.32Oct 17 £42.67Sep 17 £35.97

there is so much poor information on this thread but some good pieces within, as Chocci said ignore the monthly payments you need your actual usage. Give the company a call and ask how much usage they are using, you should also be able to work it out by their bills.. As their bills are variable it would suggest that they are paying monthly on bill receipt depending on how much they are using. Once you have the actual amounts sign them up to moneysavingexpert.com/che…lub and you can then see what is the best tariff for them.

Depending on their age, they may also get extra help, warm home for example £140 a year on their electric bill, make sure you check this and sign up to a company who will offer it, smaller companies dont as yet.

And dont worry if they are on a smart meter already it will become a non smart one when they change companies but make sure they know how to read the meter so you can give monthly readings.

Just saw they have not given meter readings recently, they need to get into the habit and especially if they have solar panels they should be wanting to see how much they are saving.

Oh and dont compare rates with others, your local area might have better rates than mine, your parents may be using utilities differently my pension age mother uses around £40 a month, I use £120 a months for a family of 4 with all A rates appliances and energy bulbs, still cant get it any lower.

I am guessing that with the solar and a better rate your parents will be paying half they are now., if not more.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Jul
eslick3 h, 10 m ago

there is so much poor information on this thread but some good pieces …there is so much poor information on this thread but some good pieces within, as Chocci said ignore the monthly payments you need your actual usage. Give the company a call and ask how much usage they are using, you should also be able to work it out by their bills.. As their bills are variable it would suggest that they are paying monthly on bill receipt depending on how much they are using. Once you have the actual amounts sign them up to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub and you can then see what is the best tariff for them.Depending on their age, they may also get extra help, warm home for example £140 a year on their electric bill, make sure you check this and sign up to a company who will offer it, smaller companies dont as yet.And dont worry if they are on a smart meter already it will become a non smart one when they change companies but make sure they know how to read the meter so you can give monthly readings.Just saw they have not given meter readings recently, they need to get into the habit and especially if they have solar panels they should be wanting to see how much they are saving. Oh and dont compare rates with others, your local area might have better rates than mine, your parents may be using utilities differently my pension age mother uses around £40 a month, I use £120 a months for a family of 4 with all A rates appliances and energy bulbs, still cant get it any lower. I am guessing that with the solar and a better rate your parents will be paying half they are now., if not more.

I’ve got the electric/gas readings online but I believe it’s highly inaccurate since I don’t recall anyone doing a reading for a long time. I don’t know the true actual usage (or do First utility have these even without readings?).

+ they’ve been less wasteful with appliances/lighting as of recent and with the solar panels it must be a holy different figure to what is quoted on the site. I’ll get the usage amounts imfor the gas/elec
eslick5 h, 42 m ago

there is so much poor information on this thread but some good pieces …there is so much poor information on this thread but some good pieces within, as Chocci said ignore the monthly payments you need your actual usage. Give the company a call and ask how much usage they are using, you should also be able to work it out by their bills.. As their bills are variable it would suggest that they are paying monthly on bill receipt depending on how much they are using. Once you have the actual amounts sign them up to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub and you can then see what is the best tariff for them.Depending on their age, they may also get extra help, warm home for example £140 a year on their electric bill, make sure you check this and sign up to a company who will offer it, smaller companies dont as yet.And dont worry if they are on a smart meter already it will become a non smart one when they change companies but make sure they know how to read the meter so you can give monthly readings.Just saw they have not given meter readings recently, they need to get into the habit and especially if they have solar panels they should be wanting to see how much they are saving. Oh and dont compare rates with others, your local area might have better rates than mine, your parents may be using utilities differently my pension age mother uses around £40 a month, I use £120 a months for a family of 4 with all A rates appliances and energy bulbs, still cant get it any lower. I am guessing that with the solar and a better rate your parents will be paying half they are now., if not more.

This is what I've calc'd from 11-16 to 11-17 as an annual reading from what they've estimated online:

Gas: 19459.33 kWh
Electricity: 46.21 kWh (in hindsight that must be an error? Surely as a family of 4 we use much more, even with solar panels).

I suspect these are much higher than the true values if they were to do readings (which they will now, or throug ha smart meter). That being said they could even be underestimated aswell by the supplier?

I tried the MSE link you suggested and got this as the cheapes variable tarifft:

Gas:

Unit rate 2.740p per kWh
Standing charge 21.000p per day

Electricity:

Unit rate 12.292p per kWh
Standing charge 21.000p per day

from igloo

That does seem a lot better, is this as good as it could get and anything I should be wary of?

thanks
Edited by: "FUAARRKK" 2nd Jul
FUAARRKK3 h, 25 m ago

This is what I've calc'd from 11-16 to 11-17 as an annual reading from …This is what I've calc'd from 11-16 to 11-17 as an annual reading from what they've estimated online:Gas: 19459.33 kWhElectricity: 46.21 kWh (in hindsight that must be an error? Surely as a family of 4 we use much more, even with solar panels).I suspect these are much higher than the true values if they were to do readings (which they will now, or throug ha smart meter). That being said they could even be underestimated aswell by the supplier?I tried the MSE link you suggested and got this as the cheapes variable tarifft:Gas:Unit rate 2.740p per kWhStanding charge 21.000p per dayElectricity:Unit rate 12.292p per kWhStanding charge 21.000p per dayfrom iglooThat does seem a lot better, is this as good as it could get and anything I should be wary of?thanks

Call up the company they are with and give them a meter reading it should be well overdue ask them for the last year numbers.

Dont just consider variable rates rates they might not always be the cheapest might be today but not in a few months. Consider fixing without an exit fee.
eslick25 m ago

Call up the company they are with and give them a meter reading it should …Call up the company they are with and give them a meter reading it should be well overdue ask them for the last year numbers. Dont just consider variable rates rates they might not always be the cheapest might be today but not in a few months. Consider fixing without an exit fee.

So look for a fixed tariff over variable? Could i find a cheap variable and switch once they hike?
eslick35 m ago

Call up the company they are with and give them a meter reading it should …Call up the company they are with and give them a meter reading it should be well overdue ask them for the last year numbers. Dont just consider variable rates rates they might not always be the cheapest might be today but not in a few months. Consider fixing without an exit fee.

With octopus got this fixed rate for 12 months:

Electricity

Unit rate 14.858p per kWh
Standing charge 17.76p per day

Gas

Unit rate 3.203p per kWh
Standing charge 16.80p per day

No early exit fee. This looks pretty good for the projected use?
FUAARRKK4 m ago

With octopus got this fixed rate for 12 months:ElectricityUnit …With octopus got this fixed rate for 12 months:ElectricityUnit rate 14.858p per kWhStanding charge 17.76p per dayGasUnit rate 3.203p per kWhStanding charge 16.80p per dayNo early exit fee. This looks pretty good for the projected use?

As with these things can’t give you advice on whether to fix but we do there is no evidence that prices will go down and variables are to risky.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Jul
eslick1 m ago

As with these things can’t give you advice on whether to fix but we do As with these things can’t give you advice on whether to fix but we do there is no evidence that prices will go down and variables are to risky.

Ok great thanks a lot, either way parents will be saving a fortune compared to what they pay now.
As there’s no exit fees and the daily standing charge is lower than igloo. If you feel that’s a good deal then sign up with them, but keep looking around whilst the switch is going through as you get a cooling off period. As long as they get a better deal than their current variable tariff then it’s a no brainer surely.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 2nd Jul
eslick4 h, 26 m ago

As with these things can’t give you advice on whether to fix but we do t …As with these things can’t give you advice on whether to fix but we do there is no evidence that prices will go down and variables are to risky.

hi eslick, sorry 2 bother once again. Im going nuts finding all the combinations of a cheap deal but this is what I got at the lowest:

Enstronga fixed 12 months
Electric unit charge = 14.050p
Electric standing charge = 15.33p

Gas unit charge = 2.620p
Gas standing charge = 23.50p

Projected for 19500 kWh gas and 700 kWh electricity annually is coming to £738.93 (- £30.50 cashback).

Does this look reasonable? The company has good/dodgy reviews like most small ones, and has £50 exit charge for 2 fuels.

Otherwise I have Octopus fixed 12 months:
Electric unit charge = 14.858p
Electric standing charge = 17.76p

Gas unit charge = 3.203p
Gas standing charge = 16.80p

Same usage, coming to £854.62 - (£28 cashback) but better reviews and free exit anytime.
FUAARRKK35 m ago

hi eslick, sorry 2 bother once again. Im going nuts finding all the …hi eslick, sorry 2 bother once again. Im going nuts finding all the combinations of a cheap deal but this is what I got at the lowest:Enstronga fixed 12 monthsElectric unit charge = 14.050pElectric standing charge = 15.33pGas unit charge = 2.620pGas standing charge = 23.50pProjected for 19500 kWh gas and 700 kWh electricity annually is coming to £738.93 (- £30.50 cashback). Does this look reasonable? The company has good/dodgy reviews like most small ones, and has £50 exit charge for 2 fuels.Otherwise I have Octopus fixed 12 months:Electric unit charge = 14.858pElectric standing charge = 17.76pGas unit charge = 3.203pGas standing charge = 16.80pSame usage, coming to £854.62 - (£28 cashback) but better reviews and free exit anytime.

It’s one of the things with small or new companies deciding if their feedback can put you off. For me I like to keep mine and my mother’s account on no exit fees to allow us to leave but it just depends on you. You lock yourself in for a year and don’t have to worry but if something cheaper comes along you can’t move saying that that doesn’t happen very often. And don’t worry about service that much as long as you give meter readings what’s the worst that can really happen.
eslick2nd Jul

It’s one of the things with small or new companies deciding if their f …It’s one of the things with small or new companies deciding if their feedback can put you off. For me I like to keep mine and my mother’s account on no exit fees to allow us to leave but it just depends on you. You lock yourself in for a year and don’t have to worry but if something cheaper comes along you can’t move saying that that doesn’t happen very often. And don’t worry about service that much as long as you give meter readings what’s the worst that can really happen.

Fair enough, thats what I was thinking. As long as I get the provided rates and I give readings it shouldn't go wrong. Price wise does it look about right for a west london end terrace or shall I keep looking? (I've checked all price comparison sites and it came down to this company Estronga).
Could your parents be entitled to the warm home discount? That's usually a £140 discount/credit every year but you have to apply for it in winter. Only some energy companies are on the scheme so bare that in mind.
.MUFC.2 h, 5 m ago

Could your parents be entitled to the warm home discount? That's usually a …Could your parents be entitled to the warm home discount? That's usually a £140 discount/credit every year but you have to apply for it in winter. Only some energy companies are on the scheme so bare that in mind.

No I think they have a combined household income greater than £16000 and don't receive any kind of benefit.

I've found a very good unit/s charge with "utility point":

Electricity:
12.1695p per kWh
11.02p per day

Gas:

3.0377p per kWh
11.02p per day

for a fixed 12 month agreement, think i will go for it with this company instead of going crazy looking about
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants