Gas/Electricity supplier

Posted 1st Feb
Hi,

I’m currently with British Gas and have been with them all my life, but it seems like I’m getting ripped off as my bills are crazy high. I’ve used the Uswitch checker and it says that I can save between 650-750 per year if I change supplier.

Some names that stand out to me are EDF energy, nPower, Shell, Octopus and British Gas (Energy Plus Protection plan). Can anyone guide me to which company(s) are reliable, trustworthy and just good overall?

PS. I remember seeing on the news that Octopus received a fine for overcharging customers so I’m already a bit sceptical about switching to them.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
I’ve just switched to Bulb Energy early days..
I switched over to igloo energy some months back so far ok Money saving expert also recommends them
I've just switched to Green Energy, straight forward to change, priced were second cheapest for me and so far happy with communication with a couple things
Avoid shell as they are just rebranded first utility and they were an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Also if you dont want a smart meter check the small print.
Think it was OVO Energy that has been fined for overcharging customers?
ncd01/02/2020 11:27

ncd01/02/2020 11:27

You’re right. My bad
Edited by: "hassan1994" 1st Feb
Are there any negatives for getting a smart meter?
Edited by: "hassan1994" 1st Feb
I use uswitch and go with the cheapest each year. Alternate between eon and EDF. Never had any problem and the cashback is paid quickly too.
hassan199401/02/2020 12:06

Plenty, but the reason we won't have one is that you can guarantee they will eventually rip customers off with different rates during the day/night.
British Gas are actually quite competitive now. Have a look at money saving expert cheap energy club and compare.

You can switch for free if you’re out of contract.

If you’re in contract with British Gas, switch to one of their new cheap tariffs online. You don’t get charge to switch to one of their newer deals. I’ve been with British Gas for about a year and have switched three times to newer (cheaper) British Gas deals.
We’re with Octopus & have recently switched to them from Ovo ... all seems good so far, try to find a friend who’s with them as you each get £50-100 credited to your account when they refer you!! Their app & email updates are great too. We pay £70 for both gas & electricity (family of 4)
Edited by: "shelliebish" 1st Feb
My advice is don’t switch to any new unheard of company , I keep seeing loads these going bump , I choose my supplier by the cheapest kw and cheapest standing charge .

I just signed up to SSE which come out cheapest for me , all gone well no issue after 2 month

Every energy firm has nothing but bad reviews just like BB providers and banks so I wouldn’t go off reviews as there all mostly bad .
Edited by: "ashmac" 1st Feb
avro for me,been with them for 4 months ,recently changed to another tariff with them,3 clicks and saved £5 a month and no exit fees
in past been with bulb and pure planet never had issues with them I just change for cheapest
Edited by: "deejaygee" 1st Feb
Not all deals are available in all areas. Join MSE energy club clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che…lub and you get the low down on suppliers on cost and service.
Been with Bulb for just over a year now and am satisfied with their service, unfortunately their prices are no longer the cheapest so will probably looking to move from them soon.
Of the better known companies for me British Gas prices seem to come up on comparison quite favorably at the moment , the other being e on. Double check the comparison site thou as everyone is different and has different needs
Im with Bulb, They do not require smart meters to be fitted.
Most or all of the big want smart meters fitted or you cant have their cheap tariffs.
Buld are great, good customer service and price.
Others are cheaper but smaller companies and as so many have gone bust last year I would be carful. Also I need to claim Warm home discount which only the big ones offer.
Plus Bulb will pay upto £120 of exit fees from old supplier and a £50 referral fee from another member, Paid on the day you switch over.
hassan199401/02/2020 12:06

If you change to another supplier in a year or so, they become dumb.
I think there are "gen 2" meters that can change to a new supplier, but do your own research on that one (and insist on being told in writing which one you'd be getting)
Octopus for me. Service has been v good.
No exit fees and will pay £50 to both when being recommend from another octopus customer.

Have recommended over 10 friends and family
I was with green at my old property and they was fine. I have just moved and are in the process of switching to them again. Currently with utilita and I would stay well away from them.
esar01/02/2020 15:22

If you change to another supplier in a year or so, they become dumb.I …If you change to another supplier in a year or so, they become dumb.I think there are "gen 2" meters that can change to a new supplier, but do your own research on that one (and insist on being told in writing which one you'd be getting)

Not anymore now SMETS2 are being fitted.
MattNorfolk01/02/2020 17:57

Not anymore now SMETS2 are being fitted.

Will they just be binning the old stock?
esar01/02/2020 18:02

Will they just be binning the old stock?

My company only fit the old style in a like for like situation (if there’s an issue with an old one).
uswitch is a good comparison site but do bear in mind that their savings calculations often over state the actual savings as i always do my own calculations after i have gone through their list and it always come out less in savings than uswitch, but the saving is there if it says so, just not as much as they say.

i have been with a few energy suppliers as i chop and change regularly when my fixed tariff comes to an end. EDF, NPower, OVO energy, AVRO energy, GreenEnergy all seem pretty good. Bulb seems to be OK but they don't reply to email enquiries and we haven't phoned them but we may have to if they don't reply to email enquiries.
mutley101/02/2020 18:28

uswitch is a good comparison site but do bear in mind that their savings …uswitch is a good comparison site but do bear in mind that their savings calculations often over state the actual savings as i always do my own calculations after i have gone through their list and it always come out less in savings than uswitch, but the saving is there if it says so, just not as much as they say.i have been with a few energy suppliers as i chop and change regularly when my fixed tariff comes to an end. EDF, NPower, OVO energy, AVRO energy, GreenEnergy all seem pretty good. Bulb seems to be OK but they don't reply to email enquiries and we haven't phoned them but we may have to if they don't reply to email enquiries.

Ovo is a nightmare I wouldn't go with them the amount of people who got ripped off and waited for there money when they took over economy Energy , I think they will be getting a big fine soon.
MynameisM01/02/2020 20:13

Ovo is a nightmare I wouldn't go with them the amount of people who got …Ovo is a nightmare I wouldn't go with them the amount of people who got ripped off and waited for there money when they took over economy Energy , I think they will be getting a big fine soon.

we had ovo energy up until march 2017 and they were really good. always very quick at replying to email enquires and they gave you interest on any credit in your account. they offered to reduce the direct debit amount to use up the credit built but i asked them to keep the credit as i was getting a decent return for the money built up! i built up something like nearly £2,000 when I closed the account with them and got it all paid back immediately.

don't know anything about the economy energy problem. when did that happen?
mutley101/02/2020 22:04

we had ovo energy up until march 2017 and they were really good. always …we had ovo energy up until march 2017 and they were really good. always very quick at replying to email enquires and they gave you interest on any credit in your account. they offered to reduce the direct debit amount to use up the credit built but i asked them to keep the credit as i was getting a decent return for the money built up! i built up something like nearly £2,000 when I closed the account with them and got it all paid back immediately.don't know anything about the economy energy problem. when did that happen?

Last year I think I got paid back after 9 months but some people it's taken longer than that and those who stayed OVO have ripped them off as thy put everyone on a new higher tariff when economy Energy went bust. They billed more units at higher rate aswell and took extra payment for a friend was a total nightmare for him I moved supplier before the announcement but it still took 9 months too get my money back. So I don't have much hope in OVO. Even though I think it's become one of the bigger suppliers know by joining smaller companies together.
MynameisM01/02/2020 22:15

Last year I think I got paid back after 9 months but some people it's …Last year I think I got paid back after 9 months but some people it's taken longer than that and those who stayed OVO have ripped them off as thy put everyone on a new higher tariff when economy Energy went bust. They billed more units at higher rate aswell and took extra payment for a friend was a total nightmare for him I moved supplier before the announcement but it still took 9 months too get my money back. So I don't have much hope in OVO. Even though I think it's become one of the bigger suppliers know by joining smaller companies together.

shame as when i left them they were fine. is the problem for previous economy energy customers rather than ovo customers? were you with ovo or the economy energy that went bust?
mutley101/02/2020 22:23

shame as when i left them they were fine. is the problem for previous …shame as when i left them they were fine. is the problem for previous economy energy customers rather than ovo customers? were you with ovo or the economy energy that went bust?

Economy Energy, but they took so long too refund customers, its obvious the new companies responsibility too sort out issues but they took really long and messed up bills for customers whom stayed with them it was worse. And the watchdog advised people not too change companies till after there accounts were sorted this maybe the reason why they took so long too refund people.
MynameisM01/02/2020 22:31

Economy Energy, but they took so long too refund customers, its obvious …Economy Energy, but they took so long too refund customers, its obvious the new companies responsibility too sort out issues but they took really long and messed up bills for customers whom stayed with them it was worse. And the watchdog advised people not too change companies till after there accounts were sorted this maybe the reason why they took so long too refund people.

i used to work in mergers and acquisitions and the process is always very complex especially with settling money between the two companies so i can understand why it would take so long for previous customers of economy energy to get their money back. it would appear the problem you refer to are to do with economy energy customers being brought into OVO energy and not OVO energy customers themselves.

i was with OVO for quite a few years and as they had a very good interest rate for credit built up in your account i was quite happy for that to keep building up. i only left them because i sold the house. they were very honest and would regularly ask me if i wanted the credit paid back or the direct debit reduced so they were not looking to keep my money, and as i said, when i closed my account with them, the money got paid back straightaway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants