Gastric band hypnosis ?

Found 3rd Mar
this will probably different from every other thread about these you see....
I've actually lost the weight last year, was a hard year but well worth it.

the thing I have trouble with is...I'm never full !

as you can imagine the last thing I want now is to let it slide , but can manage by dieting/eating one week at a time, changing foods to suit , however it kind of means I'm on edge about food permanently !

I would love to get half way through a meal and say " I'm full no more" but it never happens

so any advice here would be welcome and for the sake of a small amount of cash seems like an option
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Drink water with meals.
Green tea
Smaller plate. Trick yourself, you've eaten a full plate, granted it's a smaller amount but your eyes are saying you've finished.
Eat ice or chew gum.
@Douglas_Birks firstly welcome to HUKD.
Since my teens I’ve always struggled with my weight and after reading a full page article in the Daily Mail I flew to France to have a Gastric Band fitted in 2000. I managed to lose 9-10 stone but the band deteriorated and failed in 2015. I started to put on 1-2 stone a month and soon found myself back to where I’d started. Finding myself in such a predicament I became depressed, my self confidence at an all time low, physically out of breath and even tying my shoe laces was difficult I went to my doctor who said that in theory my body had been in starvation mode for all those years and now that I was eating a ‘normal’ diet it was storing fats etc making up for all those years before. He also prescribed me antidepressants which I didn’t take. The problem was my weight not mental status. I managed to get referred for investigations as to why the band had stopped working and from there found a private doctor who said the way forward was a gastric bypass (where they basically take half your stomach away to shrink it). I had the band removed and the bypass done last year and so far I’ve lost over 5 stone.
The gastric band actually restricts the amount of food that can be eaten, that is true, but it only restricts the size not the amount as it has to go through the ring size of the band,. So you can easily eat soup, mashed potato, fish etc.. but not roast potatoes, meat (unless minced) basically anything that you couldn’t fit though a straw. So you can have a whole pan of mashed potato but only 3 mouthfuls of meat. It has no bearing on the size of your stomach and having looked at this Gastric Band hypnosis I wonder how it will work. Unless I’m mistaken it hypnotises you into believing your stomach has been shrunk and you can’t each so much as your brain thinks you’re full. If that is the case it would be better off being called Gastric Bypass hypnosis. Unfortunately by already experiencing being overweight that part of your body that sends the ‘You’re full’ signal to your brain has been turned off. That’s triggered by hormones or something not brain waves or thoughts. Sorry to be such a downer on the idea but I can’t see it lasting anymore than plain willpower.
It’s the decision to put something in your mouth that’s the hardest part to make and now for me (with 4 stone to go) as I’ve hit a plateau I’m thinking of joining a slimming club or something so that I’m accountable for what I eat each week rather than cheating myself.
Eat plenty of lean proteins and fats and go low on carbs... Proteins and fats keep you fuller for longer than carbs; with proteins especially you can eat a lot of then and ingest less calories than if you were to eat a typical meal based around carbs so you won't feel like you're dieting too much and you will be less discouraged.

Don't eliminate fats as a diet of just proteins and no fats or carbs is harmful. If you go low carb you have to have fats.
Did you know that low fat products have more sugar to compensate for the reduction in fat (and taste)so they're not any healthier? You can easily check this is true by looking at the ingredients.

That said, I think the best way to lose weight is by eating less and better and by exercising.

Gastric bypass tends to leave you with tons of loose skin due to the rapid weight loss and can have complications. I know you didn't mean an actual gastric bypass but just wanted to say that.
Edited by: "hearts22" 3rd Mar
i eat a meal i am full, then a hour later i am hungry again 🦊
Banned
Pepsi Max and apples!

Works wonders!
luckily i feel full after eating a small meal so it stops me over eating as there is no more room for the food but it does mean that i feel terrible if i do eat a regular size meal as i have problem digesting the food.

i find that carbohydrate and meat makes me feel full the most and i can eat a lot more sugary products like cakes and biscuits and fruit without feeling too full, but

meat
bread
fish
chips
pizza

makes me feel full very quickly and i stay feeling full until the next day.

there is nothing wrong with thinking about what you eat all the time as being careful about what you eat helps to keep your weight down. exercise is very important in keeping your weight down so make sure that you keep active to burn those calories but if you are out and about doing activities, you have less time to eat
Op’s real problem is that after gaining weight that ‘feeling full’ switch has been deactivated forever and they want to know if hypnosis will help in any way.
Toptrumpet3 h, 19 m ago

Op’s real problem is that after gaining weight that ‘feeling full’ switch h …Op’s real problem is that after gaining weight that ‘feeling full’ switch has been deactivated forever and they want to know if hypnosis will help in any way.

It depends on whether hynosis works. I have never been hynotised so i dont know if it actually works or if it is just bull you know what. The brain can be trained not to eat unless you really do need calories.

As far as i understand, even if hypnosis works, it doesnt work for everyone as some people cant be hynotised
Have you tried eating slower?
The longer it takes you eat the sooner you feel full.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 3rd Mar
Toptrumpet4 h, 32 m ago

Op’s real problem is that after gaining weight that ‘feeling full’ switch h …Op’s real problem is that after gaining weight that ‘feeling full’ switch has been deactivated forever and they want to know if hypnosis will help in any way.

Perhaps what's needed is a change in the way OP thinks about feeling full? Feeling full to me is a bad thing. It means I've eaten too much, it's very unpleasant. I'm not sure it's actually healthy to leave every meal feeling full.
If you have always had never been full then its similar to what I have. I really can eat as much as I want
without ever feeling full or even a hint of feeling sick. I can eat 2 or 3 meals and it would be fine. Not sure if its genetic
as I am the only one that doesn't have that full switch. At our family gathering, I'm the last one to finish eating.
My eat as much as I want are limited to special days and always balance it with light meals like toast until the bad meal comes.

Weight has not been an issue as I cant stand any sweet foods or chocolate. Some days dinner is 4 belvita biscuits
and that is fine. Its catch 22 when you are always thinking about food and get stressed and you eat more.

I use plates as a guide of how much food I am eating.

Good luck with hypnosis
Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies, there is a lot for me to think about , I haven't decided what to do yet, as I would never just chuck money away

Thank again everyone
Douglas_Birks4 h, 53 m ago

Thank you for all your replies, there is a lot for me to think about , I …Thank you for all your replies, there is a lot for me to think about , I haven't decided what to do yet, as I would never just chuck money awayThank again everyone

how much does hypnosis cost? if i had an issue and want to stop eating, in fact i probably do as i can't stop eating even though i am not hungry and often it is only my tummy saying there is no more room, stop it!

i would want hypnosis that tells me to stop eating rather than anything specific. you can train your brain to stop eating but it takes a long time to do so, whereas hypnosis, if it works may train your brain immediately. difficulty would be what sort of trigger would hypnosis need as it is supposed to be triggered so you couldn't say stop eating permanently as that would end up killing you so i don't know if hypnosis could tell you when you are full, from a logical perspective i can't yet work out how it would work for you.

you could certainly ask about how they plan to use the hypnosis to work and how much it would cost. if you have a condition that you think is serious enough it may be worth paying to see if it works. if you do go down the hypnosis route, please come back and let us know if hypnosis actually works as i see tv shows where people are hypnotised to do silly things but i am sure they are all pretend. i would be interested to hear from someone who has been hypnotised as to whether it worked or not.
Years ago I attended a group seminar at Wembley Conference centre run by Paul McKenna himself. There were about 40 overweight attendees and he spoke about self belief and attitudes rather than dieting or tricking your mind. The last hour of the day he got us to relax breathe deeply etc and tried to group ‘hypnotise’ us by imagining ourselves looking into a tall mirror as we looked now and trying to get us to focus ‘on the mirror’ and picking out the bits we liked about our bodies and the bits we didn’t. Then he asked us to look back ‘into the mirror’ and imagine seeing ourselves as the new slimmer self and how different we looked and embracing all the bad bits the we now liked etc... For me I didn’t feel hypnotised just more relaxed, but looking round others were completely in the trance and after I recall how elated some felt after the experience.
I think hypnosis depends on how open minded you are and susceptible to easy persuasion.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 4th Mar
Toptrumpet19 m ago

Years ago I attended a group seminar at Wembley Conference centre run by …Years ago I attended a group seminar at Wembley Conference centre run by Paul McKenna himself. There were about 40 overweight attendees and he spoke about self belief and attitudes rather than dieting or tricking your mind. The last hour of the day he got us to relax breathe deeply etc and tried to group ‘hypnotise’ us by imagining ourselves looking into a tall mirror as we looked now and trying to get us to focus ‘on the mirror’ and picking out the bits we liked about our bodies and the bits we didn’t. Then he asked us to look back ‘into the mirror’ and imagine seeing ourselves as the new slimmer self and how different we looked and embracing all the bad bits the we now liked etc... For me I didn’t feel hypnotised just more relaxed, but looking round others were completely in the trance and after I recall how elated some felt after the experience. I think hypnosis depends on how open minded you are and susceptible to easy persuasion.

in that case, i don't think i could ever be hypnotised as i am sceptical and don't listen. i also have a problem with relaxing. my mind wonders and i can't concentrate on the activity in hand for long before getting bored and wanting to do something else. i googled whether a sceptical person could be hypnotised and came across this interesting article

hypnosisondemand.com/can…ed/

i think to be hypnotised, you have to be willing and want to be so. you need to completely relax and you need to stop thinking and analysing for yourself and you need to listen.
Original Poster
mutley16 h, 14 m ago

how much does hypnosis cost? if i had an issue and want to stop eating, …how much does hypnosis cost? if i had an issue and want to stop eating, in fact i probably do as i can't stop eating even though i am not hungry and often it is only my tummy saying there is no more room, stop it!i would want hypnosis that tells me to stop eating rather than anything specific. you can train your brain to stop eating but it takes a long time to do so, whereas hypnosis, if it works may train your brain immediately. difficulty would be what sort of trigger would hypnosis need as it is supposed to be triggered so you couldn't say stop eating permanently as that would end up killing you so i don't know if hypnosis could tell you when you are full, from a logical perspective i can't yet work out how it would work for you.you could certainly ask about how they plan to use the hypnosis to work and how much it would cost. if you have a condition that you think is serious enough it may be worth paying to see if it works. if you do go down the hypnosis route, please come back and let us know if hypnosis actually works as i see tv shows where people are hypnotised to do silly things but i am sure they are all pretend. i would be interested to hear from someone who has been hypnotised as to whether it worked or not.

If that's what i decide to do, I certainly will come back and let you know, I'm a realist and from Yorkshire so don't really skirt issues I just say it as it is ! So would be honest, think the price was £80 so not a massive sum to lose and for a gamble may be worth it, I did appreciate the comment about thinking about food often which makes me umm and ahh as yes thinking about controlling the food is good in a way but bad as no one should be thinking about what they eat constantly through life, I'm certainly glad I lost the weight , this is more like the awkward part when I Have to figure out a pattern of normal food that is enough and not too much...it's very alien to me !
Douglas_Birks1 h, 58 m ago

If that's what i decide to do, I certainly will come back and let you …If that's what i decide to do, I certainly will come back and let you know, I'm a realist and from Yorkshire so don't really skirt issues I just say it as it is ! So would be honest, think the price was £80 so not a massive sum to lose and for a gamble may be worth it, I did appreciate the comment about thinking about food often which makes me umm and ahh as yes thinking about controlling the food is good in a way but bad as no one should be thinking about what they eat constantly through life, I'm certainly glad I lost the weight , this is more like the awkward part when I Have to figure out a pattern of normal food that is enough and not too much...it's very alien to me !

£80 sounds quite cheap so it may be worth a try if you are concerned about eating too much. if you have read reviews and it is not just some quack pretending to send you to sleep!

you need to work out how many calories you need a day then look at the calorie count on food and work out how much you can eat. this allows you to eat anything you like as long as you don't exceed the calorie count. if you are active or do exercise any day, then you will be able to eat more as you have burned off calories.

obviously there are health issues if you keep eating the wrong food despite not exceeding the calorie count, like me who can't stop eating cake and biscuit, but so far i seem to be fine with not having a balanced diet, but i would not recommend this to anyone.

i always think about food, about what i should eat, what i can and can not eat as i have allergy to most food, and i am paranoid about my weight so weigh myself every day. not done me any harm as i have been slim all my life, but it may be that because i am so paranoid and watchful about my weight that i am able to keep my weight in check.
Original Poster
mutley123 m ago

£80 sounds quite cheap so it may be worth a try if you are concerned about …£80 sounds quite cheap so it may be worth a try if you are concerned about eating too much. if you have read reviews and it is not just some quack pretending to send you to sleep!you need to work out how many calories you need a day then look at the calorie count on food and work out how much you can eat. this allows you to eat anything you like as long as you don't exceed the calorie count. if you are active or do exercise any day, then you will be able to eat more as you have burned off calories.obviously there are health issues if you keep eating the wrong food despite not exceeding the calorie count, like me who can't stop eating cake and biscuit, but so far i seem to be fine with not having a balanced diet, but i would not recommend this to anyone.i always think about food, about what i should eat, what i can and can not eat as i have allergy to most food, and i am paranoid about my weight so weigh myself every day. not done me any harm as i have been slim all my life, but it may be that because i am so paranoid and watchful about my weight that i am able to keep my weight in check.

At the moment I kind of have it under control, if I have a "bad" week I cut down the next week, I've do a nice jog and some swimming which helps, I was expecting this to happen and it's a nice problem to have from the old situation, I don't eat terribly, some veg and fruit but it's a rarity, and certainly something I'm working on with changing my foods now I'm down to a nice weight
Will fully admit it , i did my diet hard ! I lost weight quickly and too quick to change my eating habits in the safe way, to me it was a choice of a tough year diet or a tough 5 years diet, so I got my head down and did it in a year, but I'm getting there , however I know that person that over eats is still there ! I won't let him back ! If this is my life now of diet , eat normally, diet, eat normally then that's a very small price to pay !

Thank you for your replies, it's nice to bounce out these thoughts to someone ,
Check back in with us occasionally and let us know how you’re getting on, or even if you want a bit of encouragement.
Douglas_Birks1 h, 52 m ago

At the moment I kind of have it under control, if I have a "bad" week I …At the moment I kind of have it under control, if I have a "bad" week I cut down the next week, I've do a nice jog and some swimming which helps, I was expecting this to happen and it's a nice problem to have from the old situation, I don't eat terribly, some veg and fruit but it's a rarity, and certainly something I'm working on with changing my foods now I'm down to a nice weightWill fully admit it , i did my diet hard ! I lost weight quickly and too quick to change my eating habits in the safe way, to me it was a choice of a tough year diet or a tough 5 years diet, so I got my head down and did it in a year, but I'm getting there , however I know that person that over eats is still there ! I won't let him back ! If this is my life now of diet , eat normally, diet, eat normally then that's a very small price to pay !Thank you for your replies, it's nice to bounce out these thoughts to someone ,

Try to narrow the margin, if you have a “bad” day, cut down the next day. You can do a lot of damage in a week so try not to let it drag out that long before you do something about it.

i find that admitting you have a problem helps as then you have made a conscious decision that you need to do something about your problem. Having someone to talk to helps. I always make a point of telling my husband when i have eaten too much, not that he needs to know this fact, but it helps me to voice to myself that i have overdone it and so need to eat less the next day.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions