Found 17th Jun 2009
So next door and I share the same gate post for our backgates but its totally rotten. I haven't been able to use my gate for about a six months had to screw it shut just for it to close. I have had a man out today to give me a price for a new post, gate and fitting it the cost is £220 but next doors gate will not be able to be fixed on as it only has 1 out of the 3 hinges left on it and the man said there gate is also rotten. Have tried to speak to them about it but they wont open the door to me even though i can see them. Can I just leave their gate in their garden for them to sort out dont really want to do this but if they wont speak to me and I dont have a number for there landlord what can I do.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments

Banned

can you not add a post of your own, new frame for your own

Drop in a written note to pass it on to the landlord?

Banned

is it just a wooden 6x6 8ft gate post???

ring the local council find out who is responsible for the upkeep of the post

Banned

you could phone the council to fnd out who the property belongs to and then get in touch with the landlord direct

Original Poster

sassie;5517910

can you not add a post of your own, new frame for your own

Its a terrace house and he said no that as soon as my gate comes off the post will fall over

Original Poster

Marina;5517917

Drop in a written note to pass it on to the landlord?

Will do that in the morning if i dont get any answer tonight

Original Poster

gsettle24;5517923

is it just a wooden 6x6 8ft gate post???

he said it was just a standard size gate but think thats 6x3

So who owns the gatepost?

Banned

whose land is the post on? surely he can bodge it up to put their gate back on, rotten or not

Original Poster

Shengis;5518080

So who owns the gatepost?

Its shared so I would say we are both responsible for it. How would I find this out I know the fence between our gardens is theirs as I had to get a new one about 5 years ago

mojo.121;5518128

Its shared so I would say we are both responsible for it. How would I … Its shared so I would say we are both responsible for it. How would I find this out I know the fence between our gardens is theirs as I had to get a new one about 5 years ago

its very rarely shared if the fence is theres odds on the post is too :thumbsup:

foxymissroxy;5518137

its very rarely shared if the fence is theres odds on the post is too … its very rarely shared if the fence is theres odds on the post is too :thumbsup:

Spot on:thumbsup:

Banned

it depends where the boundary is

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;5518137

its very rarely shared if the fence is theres odds on the post is too … its very rarely shared if the fence is theres odds on the post is too :thumbsup:

Oh right so when I find out who the landlord is if he refuses to go halfs with me (dont mind going halfs as i need it fixing) will it be ok just to leave their gate in their garden

Banned

mojo.121;5518207

Oh right so when I find out who the landlord is if he refuses to go halfs … Oh right so when I find out who the landlord is if he refuses to go halfs with me (dont mind going halfs as i need it fixing) will it be ok just to leave their gate in their garden

if its theres then you cannot remove or replace it

sassie;5518230

if its theres then you cannot remove or replace it

Well you can, if you want to be accused of criminal damage :lol:

OP, do you own your house and if so do you have a copy of the land registry plan/covenant? It should say on there who owns what and something along the lines of 'the boundary on the xxx side is the responsibility of xxx and must be kept in good order blah blah blah yada'.

If you have that then you are within your rights to contact the owner of said gatepost and demand they sort it. Then.... Fix your new gate to it :lol:

Original Poster

Shengis;5518288

Well you can, if you want to be accused of criminal damage :lol:OP, do … Well you can, if you want to be accused of criminal damage :lol:OP, do you own your house and if so do you have a copy of the land registry plan/covenant? It should say on there who owns what and something along the lines of 'the boundary on the xxx side is the responsibility of xxx and must be kept in good order blah blah blah yada'.If you have that then you are within your rights to contact the owner of said gatepost and demand they sort it. Then.... Fix your new gate to it :lol:

Yes i do own my house i will get a copy of the land registry plan/covenant and take it from there

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for there advice hopefully It can be sorted quickly

Banned

usually you can tell from your house and garden where your boundary is, although double checking is good

If you are gonna do anything might be worth taking photos before you start to back you up in what you are saying. But if its their gatepost you could still have trouble

Banned

WoolyM;5518390

If you are gonna do anything might be worth taking photos before you … If you are gonna do anything might be worth taking photos before you start to back you up in what you are saying. But if its their gatepost you could still have trouble

yes if it is their gatepost in your property you will have to remove it and give them it back - lol

sassie;5518402

yes if it is their gatepost in your property you will have to remove it … yes if it is their gatepost in your property you will have to remove it and give them it back - lol

And if its heavy you could put your back out LOL :-D

Original Poster

just spoke the guy who is living there said he has been on to the landlord already about it. He has given me his number so i will call him after dinner
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Swimming goggles for 3 year old11
    2. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?78
    4. Whatsup number, confused33

See more discussions