Gatwick Airport Duty free no longer much of a saving and the majority (except cigarettes) available to all travellers.

Found 19th Jun 2013
Business takes me frequently through Gatwick and over the last few months I have seen a marked increase in the prices of Alcohol and cigarettes. Some months ago 2 litres of basic booze (Gordons. Grouse, Smirnoff, Bacardi etc) were 2 for £18 (up from £16). They are now at £22 with all other drink also up considerably, probably because the majority of them are available for all travellers to buy with only a small range of basics for people leaving the EU, whereas before it was the other way round. Cigarettes were around £60/600 and they are now around £90/600 (but not for travellers within the EU). It might have something to do with the CAA hiking Gatwick's charges up and they are trying to recoup some of this from the travelling public.
Community Updates
13 Comments
Hmm going holiday in a few weeks, was hoping to take advantage of some of the duty free stuff.. doesn't bode well!
Banned
always cheaper to buy at the destination or on the plane in my experience
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

so instead of putting ticket prices up they have tried to pass the cost … so instead of putting ticket prices up they have tried to pass the cost onto people like you, excellent news

If only; the CAA run Gatwick airport and this increase is to increase the revenue from the traveller. The other increases that the CAA are charging the airlines you and I and everyone else are already seeing in increases in ticket prices, eg BA now charge for hold bags 'on certain routes' out of Gatwick. Thin edge of the wedge, that one.
kingy58

Some months ago 2 litres of basic booze (Gordons. Grouse, Smirnoff, … Some months ago 2 litres of basic booze (Gordons. Grouse, Smirnoff, Bacardi etc) were 2 for £18 (up from £16).

When the High Street price is around £18 for 1 x 1 litre bottle, you're not going to be getting much sympathy here!
Original Poster
ceres

When the High Street price is around £18 for 1 x 1 litre bottle, you're … When the High Street price is around £18 for 1 x 1 litre bottle, you're not going to be getting much sympathy here!

Most of us who get away and have the opportunity to get some Duty Free's will get some. I was merely observing that, whilst they are obviously going to be cheaper than the high street, they aren't as much of a bargain as they were. Also that within EU travellers can now buy the majority of drink too. I wasn't looking for sympathy as I neither smoke and am able to get the spirits I need legally and considerably cheaper than they are offering at Gatwick.
I thought the whole point of it being called "duty free" is it saves you the VAT of 20%. Looking at the prices of your comparisons of the bottles compared to a high street shop it looks like your making a greater saving than the VAT 20%.
djwilliams100

I thought the whole point of it being called "duty free" is it saves … I thought the whole point of it being called "duty free" is it saves you the VAT of 20%. Looking at the prices of your comparisons of the bottles compared to a high street shop it looks like your making a greater saving than the VAT 20%.

Duty free has been around longer than VAT.

The duty on alcohol and tobacco is much more than 20%, the total duty (inc. VAT) on a pack of cigarettes is between £5-7 (80%).
Edited by: "attackofthe50stonewoman" 11th Jul 2013
An even bigger rip off is the price of mens fragrances & after shaves You can buy most of them in high street Discount perfume shops a damn site cheaper
If travelling to the USA don't buy duty free scotch. A litre and three quarter bottle of Johnny Walker will cost about $33 including tax which works out around 20 quid.
LGW Gatwick Airport dutyfree is a rip off for alcohol. Bombay Sapphire is cheaper in UK supermarket sales at £15 pounds than Gatwick's £20. For comparison Holland America in Med offer 2 x 1L Bombay Sapphire for US$40.
Dated November 13, 2015
LBA smirnoff 1L £14
PMI same thing £10.30
Were mugs over here.
romet

LGW Gatwick Airport dutyfree is a rip off for alcohol. Bombay Sapphire … LGW Gatwick Airport dutyfree is a rip off for alcohol. Bombay Sapphire is cheaper in UK supermarket sales at £15 pounds than Gatwick's £20. For comparison Holland America in Med offer 2 x 1L Bombay Sapphire for US$40.Dated November 13, 2015

You joined up to reincarnate a two year old thread to post that? oO
here it was in the paper a whle back - itys shown that the retailers dont pass on the savings they get to the customer

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions