Groups

gb energy early

hi all
    in may I switched to GB energy on a fixed rate for a year, and I've had an email to say my DD payments will be going up 30%. which I'm not happy about.
    as there's no way I know that im not using or will be using this extra energy which means it will put me in credit.
    I don't want to be in credit by the end of the contract cos people are having trouble getting their money back, Ive tryed ringing and email and just can't seem to get through, can anyone tell me if there are any exit fees before leaving ?

thanks

23 Comments

The price of the power is fixed but maybe you are using more than the figures you gave them . Contact their customer support (keep trying ) I'm sure there will be exit fees there are with the majority of fixed rate deals .

Always remember the monthly DD amount may or may not cover your bill (presumably they consider it wont) it isn't your usage just an estimate . Remember winter is coming and most use more gas /electric during the next 6 months .

i got the same price rise email, but as far as i know gb energy doesnt do fixed energy prices.

also they dont tend to do exit fees.

i would call them up if i were you

Original Poster

rogparki

The price of the power is fixed but maybe you are using more than the … The price of the power is fixed but maybe you are using more than the figures you gave them . Contact their customer support (keep trying ) I'm sure there will be exit fees there are with the majority of fixed rate deals .Always remember the monthly DD amount may or may not cover your bill (presumably they consider it wont) it isn't your usage just an estimate . Remember winter is coming and most use more gas /electric during the next 6 months .

​thanks for your reply, we are definitely not using more energy than usual in fact less than this time last year due to it being so mild.
    I'm not the only one with the same problem as I've seen loads of customers leaving due to the same price hike.
    I understand with winter coming but even still for a 30% increase its ridiculous. I've been in credit all the time I've been with GB energy so I know I'm not using the energy they assume I am.

Original Poster

ricky7

also they dont tend to do exit fees. i would call them up if i were you

​ive been trying to call them since 10am this morning been waiting for 30 mins but nobody ever picks up. shocking customer service sent emails no reply, even twitter doesn't seem to do the job anymore.

nicki1987

​thanks for your reply, we are definitely not using more energy than u … ​thanks for your reply, we are definitely not using more energy than usual in fact less than this time last year due to it being so mild. I'm not the only one with the same problem as I've seen loads of customers leaving due to the same price hike.I understand with winter coming but even still for a 30% increase its ridiculous. I've been in credit all the time I've been with GB energy so I know I'm not using the energy they assume I am.

Remember its not a "price hike" you will still only pay the fixed price on your contract for your usage . Whilst being in credit can be a pain it is far better than being in arrears . If customer service wont answer you now try them again in a couple of months when your winter usage will be more visible and they should reduce your DD.
    Edited by: "rogparki" 31st Oct 2016

they send all information by email. try and find your first welcome email regarding your tariff or on the side of any bill. think i got the price hike email about ten days ago. i sourced an alternative provider last week - will take upto a month to transfer my supply. Also got my direct debit credit back from gb energy (but didnt mention i was planning on leaving - my new provider can tell them when they ask for the supply!)

Original Poster

rogparki

Remember its not a "price hike" you will still only pay the fixed price … Remember its not a "price hike" you will still only pay the fixed price on your contract for your usage . Whilst being in credit can be a pain it is far better than being in arrears . If customer service wont answer you now try them again in a couple of months when your winter usage will be more visible and they should reduce your DD.

​if it isn't a price hike then why the extra DD bill? doesn't make any sense these are the only energy supplier I've been with in which this has happened. I could understand if I was using a lot of energy but I know I am not.
    makes me wonder if this company is getting ready to go bust.

GB Energy are a very 'slick' company. They draw you in with an enticing price. You pay a couple of months DD's and then they rack up the monthly payments on the pretext that the original monthly payments aren't enough and they also wish to 'protect' you from debt by ensuring you have enough in your account to service an unexpected high bill. All laudable stuff but when I finally extracted myself from their clutches after some 13 months with them they owed me over £700 Not an insignificant amount considering my total bills for gas and electricity were only just over a grand. Getting the overpayment out of them wasn't as straight forward and quick as I would of hoped - two months from moving supplier!! There were no exit fees.

A company I wouldn't deal with again.

Edited by: "Dumbstruck" 31st Oct 2016

Original Poster

Dumbstruck

GB Energy are a very 'slick' company. They draw you in with an enticing … GB Energy are a very 'slick' company. They draw you in with an enticing price. You pay a couple of months DD's and then they rack up the monthly payments on the pretext that the original monthly payments aren't enough and they also wish to 'protect' you from debt by ensuring you have enough in your account to service an unexpected high bill. All laudable stuff but when I finally extracted myself from their clutches after some 13 months with them they owed me over £700 Not an insignificant amount considering my total bills for gas and electricity were only just over a grand. Getting the overpayment out of them wasn't as straight forward and quick as I would of hoped - two months from moving supplier!! There were no exit fees. A company I wouldn't deal with again.

​thanks for your reply this isn't the first time I've heard people having difficulty getting their money back, they were so good to begin with customer service was quick but now it all seems to have gone out the window.
    I was a bit unsure at first when joining this company as I had never heard of them .
    if there are no exit fees then I will definitely be moving.

I joined them earlier this year on the variable tariff and got an email telling me that my price was going up but i could switch to a fixed rate tariff for less.
    I switched to that tariff and then last week i got an email saying my monthly d/d was going to be reduced as i was paying too much
    I asked them to leave my d/d as it was as it is the winter and my usage will be going up

I dont really see it as a big deal. edf and npower have both upped my DD. I just contacted them they did a check and reduced it. Npower tried to charge me a DD of 5 times my usual spend. Cant you get a refund of any in credit balance anytime you want?

Cancel your DD and they will contact you in no time. Send them email before that you are doing that 'cos you can't get through.

Pigmejs

Cancel your DD and they will contact you in no time. Send them email … Cancel your DD and they will contact you in no time. Send them email before that you are doing that 'cos you can't get through.

Great way of destroying your credit rating

chocci

Great way of destroying your credit rating

​Alrighty then... I didn't know that. Seems like just mentioning of credit rating can destroy it.

Pigmejs

​Alrighty then... I didn't know that. Seems like just mentioning of c … ​Alrighty then... I didn't know that. Seems like just mentioning of credit rating can destroy it.

any unpaid direct debits reduces your credit ratings. thought that was pretty obvious but there you go

They started my supply on the 3rd october 2016, and on the 21st october 2016 they contacted me to say my DD is increasing. No reason at all to do this since they have not even taken a meter reading since my start reading so i dont know how they can justify it. I have not spoke with them yet as theyre always busy but i will be switching, I have my origional contract and it says its a fixed tariff but no exit fees.

ok I assume if 30 percent Increase is a burden u may possibly be a person whom is eligible to warm home discount scheme so if u basically are earning under 16k not the east amount and get tax credits u should be able to get that it's worth around 140 pounds a year gb energy are cheapest for me for electric but I'm stuck with eon as they are providing this discount gb on theory should do it but they are only offering to the core group maybe that's one of the reasons they are hiking ur price by 30 percent move to a company whom maybe 50 60 pounds more but still offer the warm home discount

do a comparison with say energylinx and u can claim 17 pounds cashback on each gas and electricity on top . also do both as dual fuel and as separate aswell a lot of people don't check the 2 as separate supplies as they assume duel fuel is cheapest and most of the time it's not most likely dali gas will be cheapest for gas for a user from 12000kwh plus and not sure for electric my be iresea

chocci

any unpaid direct debits reduces your credit ratings. thought that was … any unpaid direct debits reduces your credit ratings. thought that was pretty obvious but there you go

​It's very nice how companies can do whatever they want with our DD but we have no leverage as anything we do ends up lowering our credit rating.... Ah well I have nothing to worry about as my credit rating is in shambles anyway thanks to Halifax.

Pigmejs

​It's very nice how companies can do whatever they want with our DD but w … ​It's very nice how companies can do whatever they want with our DD but we have no leverage as anything we do ends up lowering our credit rating.... Ah well I have nothing to worry about as my credit rating is in shambles anyway thanks to Halifax.

You have all the leverage. Ring and refuse the increase and cancel your contract if they refuse. Just did similar with virgin media

Original Poster

just an update I managed to speak to.somebody through Facebook and they've agreed to keep my DD the same. so I won't be having the increase. GB energy do not offer the warm home discount and I wouldn't get it anyway.
    I've looked around for other suppliers but unfortunately at the moment if I moved would mean I'm paying more.
    I will still be keeping my eye on this company as the customer service is appalling

well looks like they were having cash flow problems and its all over now
    BBC News
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions