Groups

GB just beat Canada in Davis Cup after Default unbelievable

The Canadian player has hit a tennis ball which has hit the umpire in the face
    This is the tweet
    GREAT BRITAIN WINS! #Shapovalov is defaulted trailing @kyle8edmund 63 64 2-1 after hitting the umpire with a ball.

37 Comments

We shouldn't be happy or proud about it - but the rules are the rules -accidental or not .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Feb

Original Poster

rogparki

We shouldn't be happy or proud about - but the rules are the rules … We shouldn't be happy or proud about - but the rules are the rules -accidental or not .

did you watch it trying to find a vid to upload trying to work out if the ball hit the umpire directly or did it bounce first
    Edited by: "archer1204" 5th Feb

OMG!!!

archer1204

did you watch it trying to find a vid to upload

I watched it live. Definitely an accident but no excuse, he wanted to smash the ball out of the stadium but got it horribly wrong.

That's good, how did he do it?

Kyle Edmund had just broken serve to lead 6-3 6-4 6-1 when frustration … Kyle Edmund had just broken serve to lead 6-3 6-4 6-1 when frustration got the better of Shapovalov.

Original Poster

Firefly1

I watched it live. Definitely an accident but no excuse, he wanted to … I watched it live. Definitely an accident but no excuse, he wanted to smash the ball out of the stadium but got it horribly wrong.

Ah ok cheers

archer1204

did you watch it trying to find a vid to upload

Was on the BBC live stream ,probably on the I Player and high ? lights are on BBC2 shortly .

Original Poster

Poor umpire
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C376ZngWMAA2VcE.jpg

deeky

OMG!!!

Did you watch it

Looked to see if it was on Sky sports 1 ,but there appears to be some overhyped minority Yank "Sport" on there

brilly

Did you watch it

No, but it sure sounded dramatic!! oO

Lol ball was already out of play, what an incredible shot, what are the chances lmao

Original Poster

Davis Cup ‏@DavisCup 21s22 seconds ago
    Chair umpire Arnaud Gabas has bruising & swelling of the left eye. He is going to Ottawa General Hospital for precautionary evaluation (1/2)

Is Shapovalov a traditional Canadian name?

Although it was accidental that type of aggression (sulky spoilt brat takes anger and frustration out on a tennis ball for missing his target) deserves to lose the match.

It could of blinded anyone

Just a pity some other sports are not as stringent - imagine how clean football would become if you knew that anyone going in with a two foot challenge could cause the whole team to lose the match by default.

philphil61

Although it was accidental that type of aggression (sulky spoilt brat … Although it was accidental that type of aggression (sulky spoilt brat takes anger and frustration out on a tennis ball for missing his target) deserves to lose the match.It could of blinded anyoneJust a pity some other sports are not as stringent - imagine how clean football would become if you knew that anyone going in with a two foot challenge could cause the whole team to lose the match by default.

Not the first time and I don't recall this guy being known as a sulky brat
    independent.co.uk/spo…tml
    Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 6th Feb

deeky

No, but it sure sounded dramatic!! oO

Do you like tennis

brilly

Do you like tennis

That's a really good impression tbh X)

tempt

Is Shapovalov a traditional Canadian name?

​yes

Gotta hand it to the ref (umpire) ... he showed some amazing restraint!

If some jumped up little 17 yr old had smacked a ball into my face... I'd have leapt off my perch and shoved his racket up his arris....................... round end first!!!!!!!!!
    Edited by: "arcangel111" 6th Feb

psychobitchfromhell

Not the first time and I don't recall this guy being known as a sulky … Not the first time and I don't recall this guy being known as a sulky brathttp://www.independent.co.uk/sport/henman-and-bates-are-disqualified-in-doubles-1588962.html

Well he sulked in that clip otherwise why have a tantrum and smack a ball in an uncontrolled manner?

If at work (say telesales or checkout) and you make a big mistake what would happen if you then threw your monitor or till out the window?

It doesn't seem like he was going to win anyway

philphil61

Well he sulked in that clip otherwise why have a tantrum and smack a ball … Well he sulked in that clip otherwise why have a tantrum and smack a ball in an uncontrolled manner? ;)If at work (say telesales or checkout) and you make a big mistake what would happen if you then threw your monitor or till out the window?

I don't know what your own experience is but I think that there is a considerable difference between competing at a high level in any sport and doing a mundane job like telesales or being a checkout operator.

I'd guess that you probably don't get too much of an adrenaline rush making phone calls or scanning cornflake packets.

philphil61

Well he sulked in that clip otherwise why have a tantrum and smack a ball … Well he sulked in that clip otherwise why have a tantrum and smack a ball in an uncontrolled manner? ;)If at work (say telesales or checkout) and you make a big mistake what would happen if you then threw your monitor or till out the window?

Such behaviour is unacceptable in any situation. Like you said, should be enforced in football

RonChew

I don't know what your own experience is but I think that there is a … I don't know what your own experience is but I think that there is a considerable difference between competing at a high level in any sport and doing a mundane job like telesales or being a checkout operator. I'd guess that you probably don't get too much of an adrenaline rush making phone calls or scanning cornflake packets.

So your excuse to accidentally cause harm to anyone (or have a tantrum) is adrenaline?
    I can just see it now
    "Yes Judge I hit the copper with a metal bar because I was having a tantrum and my adrenaline levels were sky high"

or

"Yes bossI I threw the till out the window and accidentally killed that man because my adrenaline levels were sky high (according to the scientific data and law of the well known and respected ROFLMAOChew) therefore you can't sack me"

philphil61

So your excuse to accidentally cause harm to anyone (or have a tantrum) … So your excuse to accidentally cause harm to anyone (or have a tantrum) is adrenaline?I can just see it now"Yes Judge I hit the copper with a metal bar because I was having a tantrum and my adrenaline levels were sky high"or"Yes bossI I threw the till out the window and accidentally killed that man because my adrenaline levels were sky high (according to the scientific data and law of the well known and respected ROFLMAOChew) therefore you can't sack me"

How did you manage to reach that conclusion from my comment? You should try reading what people write before launching into some irrelevant tirade.

All I said was that you couldn't compare the actions of a sportsman in a competitive game with those of telesales operators and checkout assistants. I suspect that you have never played any sport at any sort of competitive level so you really know absolutely nothing about the intensity of competition. Yet you feel able to make ludicrous comments comparing sportsmen with those in mundane jobs.

RonChew

How did you manage to reach that conclusion from my comment? You should … How did you manage to reach that conclusion from my comment? You should try reading what people write before launching into some irrelevant tirade.All I said was that you couldn't compare the actions of a sportsman in a competitive game with those of telesales operators and checkout assistants. I suspect that you have never played any sport at any sort of competitive level so you really know absolutely nothing about the intensity of competition. Yet you feel able to make ludicrous comments comparing sportsmen with those in mundane jobs.

How did you manage to reach that conclusion from my comment? You should … How did you manage to reach that conclusion from my comment? You should try reading what people write before launching into some irrelevant tirade.

there is a considerable difference between competing at a high level in … there is a considerable difference between competing at a high level in any sport and doing a mundane job

You are attempting to excuse a sportsmans actions by using adrenaline
    I on the other hand can't excuse them
    As for my sporting prowess/achievements what has that got to do with anything?
    But I will add I'm ex military where you are trained physically and mentally to "bring on" and "control" adrenaline

But I know nothing and you of course know it all and must be heard and must be listened to and therefore you must have your chance to comment.

philphil61

You are attempting to excuse a sportsmans actions by using adrenaline I … You are attempting to excuse a sportsmans actions by using adrenaline I on the other hand can't excuse them As for my sporting prowess/achievements what has that got to do with anything?But I will add I'm ex military where you are trained physically and mentally to "bring on" and "control" adrenalineBut I know nothing and you of course know it all and must be heard and must be listened to and therefore you must have your chance to comment.

I have not attempted to excuse what any sportsman did. I was merely saying that your comparison of a sportsman with a telesales operator or a checkout assistant was ludicrous and demonstrated a basic lack of knowledge of a subject on which you were offering your opinion.

There really isn't any need for you to spit out your dummy any time your view is challenged; it's not good for your health.

archer1204

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5wEorq-1fY

better one

youtube.com/wat…igs

RonChew

I have not attempted to excuse what any sportsman did. I was merely … I have not attempted to excuse what any sportsman did. I was merely saying that your comparison of a sportsman with a telesales operator or a checkout assistant was ludicrous and demonstrated a basic lack of knowledge of a subject on which you were offering your opinion.There really isn't any need for you to spit out your dummy any time your view is challenged; it's not good for your health.

Hear hear.

Basically the Canadian 'kid' was being battered by the plucky Brit.

And because he was crap he couldn't even hit a ball into the stands in anger....

The correct decision by the Match Ref. The kid learns the hard way. The umpire is lucky not to suffer a serious eye injury.

No need to be overly harsh to the kid. Hopefully he'll come back a bit more mature once he's ridden out the initial storm

And he's been fined £7k

Gollywood

Basically the Canadian 'kid' was being battered by the plucky Brit.And … Basically the Canadian 'kid' was being battered by the plucky Brit.And because he was crap he couldn't even hit a ball into the stands in anger....The correct decision by the Match Ref. The kid learns the hard way. The umpire is lucky not to suffer a serious eye injury.No need to be overly harsh to the kid. Hopefully he'll come back a bit more mature once he's ridden out the initial storm

ok, thanks for the update. what is it he's meant to learn?

CookinBat

Something that some (including HUKD members) need

Discipline and respect

He should now understand you can't have a tantrum just because you made a mistake - something his parents should have instilled in him as a child but unfortunately like many today when they can't get their own way they become unacceptable human beings

CookinBat

​If you have to ask......
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1229
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions