Groups

GCSE MATHS

Hi there my son has done his first Gcse paper in November, maths module 3, however he got an F-AH!!!!!!! However when we have been speaking to him he has not been showing any working out on the paper - just putting the answer. Does anybody know what marks you have to get to get a F. And any ideas of what to do with him... he is bright but really lazy and was predicted to get an A.

34 Comments

My maths teacher said always show your working.. Probably why he failed?

I got an A in Maths at GCSE.

I didn't revise either. GCSE maths is sooooooo easy.

Offer him a grand if he gets an A, that'll soon perk him up!

as far as I remember it was always only 1 mark for the answer.. and depending on the difficulty you may have got as many as 4 marks for the working out.

Make him show his working, because if the answers wrong but the working out is right he will still get some marks. Thats what we get told anyway

Also if you search for pat papers you will be able to see the mark scheme and see what you get marks for and what you lose them for etc

The JFK;4251499

I got an A in Maths at GCSE. I didn't revise either. GCSE maths is … I got an A in Maths at GCSE. I didn't revise either. GCSE maths is sooooooo easy.

Yeh i got B , maths was my easiest subject lol

yea I have to agree, if the question is worth more than one mark always show your workings thats normally what the other mark(s) count for

I was dreadful at my mocks in maths for exactly the same reason so don't worry to much, half the point of mocks is to show where people need extra help x I would ask to speak to his maths teacher, encorage him to do the working out on the sheets but also see if you can get some mock papers at home for him to try and see how he gets on then x

How did he get on with his other exams? Exams are horrid and nerves often get the better of even the most brainest of students x

Good luck for him and hope he finds an easier path to take for his next exam x x

Not sure that helps?! 'I got an A' and 'I got a B'!!!

Good luck in the re sit :-)

Unless it has changed, then full marks are awarded to correct answers, if the answer is incorrect then marks will be awarded based on the stages of marking, as per the mark scheme. Clearly he must be showing his marking somewhere or making up answers?

You cant get A in module.

I do maths, and just do the 2 papers In summer. Higher Tier.

happygolucky111;4251687

I was dreadful at my mocks in maths for exactly the same reason so don't … I was dreadful at my mocks in maths for exactly the same reason so don't worry to much, half the point of mocks is to show where people need extra help x I would ask to speak to his maths teacher, encorage him to do the working out on the sheets but also see if you can get some mock papers at home for him to try and see how he gets on then x How did he get on with his other exams? Exams are horrid and nerves often get the better of even the most brainest of students x Good luck for him and hope he finds an easier path to take for his next exam x x

Many do modular maths GCSEs now; all the exams count.

MarzBarz;4251666

Yeh i got B , maths was my easiest subject lol

If you got a B in maths and that was your best subject ........... what did you get in others lol.

I find maths so boring.......... but im alright. B when i dont revise and A* when i do

even if he had just put the answer, his answer wudda been wrong, pretty sure an Fisnt the worst grade at gcse tho. Dont see how his teachers can predict him an A when he gets an F........maybe u shud get him a tutor.

i would imagine that an "A" grade student who couldnt be bothered to revise would still be achieving "B" grades with no bother......the jump from A TO F is really extreme, maybe hes not workin hard enough

you can get an A with out showing any working out, i did my GCSE's last year and got a C..... i know its not the best but im proud never the less!

my school sold some CD program for a £2.50 and i think its the best and it got me my grade. Really easy to understand and its practicly a teacher on an interactive whiteboard where you can pause and do what ever you like. I will find out what its called for you in a min.....

Hope it helps, Ben

Original Poster

He is in year 9 and it was the first of his real gsce module exams... hopefully it will be a lesson to him to revise and put All your working out, thanks for your help and support, and yes I have resorted to bribing him anything to make him work!!

"MathsWatch" is what its called

on there site:

only sell to schools and there is a minimum order requirement

however, i go to my secondary schools sixthform and may pick you up a copy if you wish?

i can say hand on heart it will make a diffrence!

You can take a horse to water...

Speak to his teacher about retaking this module? At least you know now, the traditional GCSEs would have meant you didn't know. Maths at GCSE is all about learning a number of fairly fixed steps for a number of specific questions which are made slightly different each time, if you learn the steps you can't fail to do well.

Heppy;4251778

He is in year 9 and it was the first of his real gsce module exams... … He is in year 9 and it was the first of his real gsce module exams... hopefully it will be a lesson to him to revise and put All your working out, thanks for your help and support, and yes I have resorted to bribing him anything to make him work!!

http://www.forumspile.com/Blank-Facepalm.gif

GarlicBread-92;4251759

you can get an A with out showing any working out, i did my GCSE's last … you can get an A with out showing any working out, i did my GCSE's last year and got a [SIZE="6"]C[/SIZE].....

did u just write ur name on the exam then:?

acecatcher3;4251849

did u just write ur name on the exam then:?

LOL.

Just goes to show that there are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't. :thumbsup:

wow there a lot of people on high horses here. no one really cares that you got an a, b, c etc. The op asked a question for help, not for people to flex their egos.

matt3454;4252092

wow there a lot of people on high horses here. no one really cares that … wow there a lot of people on high horses here. no one really cares that you got an a, b, c etc. The op asked a question for help, not for people to flex their egos.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

I'd suggest get a tutor even for a couple of nights just to get him to sit down and do a practice paper making him show his working out and then get the tutor to work through each question showing him the breakdown of the marks so he can see for himself that even in a question that he got lost and ended up geting it wrong he could've had at least some marks. It works really well. I tutor Maths and I do this with all my students but specifically with those who have difficulty with maths because their confidence is non-existant and they end up thinking there is no point even trying.

Banned

Only dropped about 20 marks at a-level a year early...lol

Just do past papers and go through it with mark schemes afterwards seriously it works so well (get them off edexcel website) But to get an F even if he didnt work hes going have to do a lot. good luck

matt3454;4252092

wow there a lot of people on high horses here. no one really cares that … wow there a lot of people on high horses here. no one really cares that you got an a, b, c etc. The op asked a question for help, not for people to flex their egos.

OK, sorry.

I got an 'A' by the way. It was very easy. Too easy some may say.

matt3454;4252092

I did it a year early and got 99%.

There will be opportunities for resits later on so this is not the end of the world. Showing working is extremely important. Another golden rule is to always put the units. Many pupils give the correct numerical answer but forget units and lose a significant number of marks over the papers for this.Finally, always show how you have changed from one unit to another (if you have) eg. cm. to m. etc. and the level of accuracy - to how many significant figures/decimal places.

I had a scientific calculator with a flip case and on it I pencilled in every equation possibly needed in my very own shorthand code, I spent more time devising and learning my own code than studying maths.
    The pencil part was very important as you could only see the writing on the case in a certain light. Thinking back on it, it was pure Geniu0s.

leefal;4252965

I had a scientific calculator with a flip case and on it I pencilled in … I had a scientific calculator with a flip case and on it I pencilled in every equation possibly needed in my very own shorthand code, I spent more time devising and learning my own code than studying maths.The pencil part was very important as you could only see the writing on the case in a certain light. Thinking back on it, it was pure Geniu0s.

A.k.a cheating.

Your power of perception is truly outstanding.

well, module 3 if you're using ocr can only achieve a grade F or E anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?2399
      2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??1111
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764160
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24101

See more discussions