Gearbest EU warehouse xiaomi

Found 30th Jan
I'm looking at ordering the xiaomi redmi note 4 from gearbest. it currently states I can order from the EU warehouse for an extra £14 (£139 in total). Does anyone know whether you are still due to pay a customs charge if you do this? I'm thinking for quickness of delivery to order from EU but if I have to pay customs either way, I may just wait and get it from the HK warehouse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've not ordered from this site before.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
5 Comments
nope,
ive ordered a vacuum, came in about a week from date of purchase (processing time was longer than delivery).
sent via ups (you can rearrange delivery etc if needed)

no taxes paid
Hi,

These guys are good...

www1.techinthebasket.com/xia…tml

I was thinking aboot getting the Note 4X too for my wife.. But in the end went for the 5Plus which is an excellent phone.

As its a UK based company, there were no taxes to pay and it a lot faster delivery than gearbest... I ordered on the 23rd of Jan and the phone arrived on the 27th of Jan.

I hope that helps
No duty (VAT/import taxes) will be due if you purchase from the UK warehouse.

You are at risk of 20% VAT (plus an £8-14 admin charge) if you purchase from China - many items don't get caught in customs!
tmohammad27 m ago

Hi,These guys are good... …Hi,These guys are good... https://www1.techinthebasket.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-32gb-rom-3gb-ram-snapdragon-625-black.htmlI was thinking aboot getting the Note 4X too for my wife.. But in the end went for the 5Plus which is an excellent phone. As its a UK based company, there were no taxes to pay and it a lot faster delivery than gearbest... I ordered on the 23rd of Jan and the phone arrived on the 27th of Jan. I hope that helps

It's the 64gb I'm after, the grey is currently £5 cheaper than gearbest but I can't see anything that specifies if it's the global version - also, they have some dodgy feedback on trustpilot and sitejabber.
Seems it's an international company posing as a UK based one hotukdeals.com/dis…131
EU warehouse so no import VAT to pay. Your contract is still with a Chinese-based company though. However, as the device is over £100, consider paying any foreign (or domestic) merchant directly by UK credit card to benefit from S75 UK-based and UK-enforceable replicated merchant obligations provided by the UK credit card company. Secondary option would be to pay via PayPal and benefit from 6months of whatever "protection" PayPal seems fit.
With S75: "...often if you buy something using a credit card abroad it's much more difficult to get in touch with the retailer. So don't bother, simply make a claim directly against the card company..."
moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ses
Obviously the S75 route is preferable, just don't complicate the "direct" payment to merchant by attempting to use PayPal as a payment intermediary.
My frequent experiences with Gearbest have been generally acceptable to good. I have no concerns buying low value items from this merchant; also have no concerns about buying £100+ items due to the UK-based S75 eligibility. The only grey area for me is say the circa £30 to definitive £99.99 price bracket per item when my purchase would be at the mercy of PayPal's limited 6 months arbitary but generally functional protection.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions