GearBest How much is the import Tax China to UK?

Found 20th Nov 2017
I've ordered a ZTE Axon 7 mobile phone from GearBest using the DHL delivery option and the phone cost £194. The customer service at GearBest messaged me and said the price for the import fee would be significantly high to my country in the UK if I chose the DHL delivery option. Just how much will this import fee cost me about? Anyone know?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

It is not only the duty - there will also be 20% VAT and customs clearance charges plus the fact that you will effectively have no warranty as you will be responsible for exorbitant return cost if it needs repair. Every item I have bought from this company has had at least one major defect for which they will offer you a few dollars in your wallet to spend with them but you will always have a defective product. Problems I have had include poor wifi connection, poor sound and finally a totally dead notebook after 8 months for which they are offering $60 credit out of about $170 paid and I have a dead product. True I could pay about £55 to return it and they will then repair it. I have so far avoided duty, etc by using cheapest method of delivery.

around £45 (rough guess) + handling fee from DHL

edit: this includes VAT
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 20th Nov 2017

The handling fee is about £10-15. I still don’t know why this site pushes the Chinese deals so much. It’s not a good deal for expensive item

Original Poster

Well you see the thing is, this ZTE Axon 7 phone has nothing but positive praise anywhere you look. The phone is £393.34 on Amazon UK amazon.co.uk/ZTE…FLY and I can't seem to find it anywhere else but GearBest which is selling it for £194. So even if the import fees did cost me around £55 I'd still be saving a lot of damn money. But now you have me worried saying that GearBest are known for selling defective goods. Has anyone actually had a good experience buying an expensive item from GearBest before?
Edited by: "ChronosChris" 20th Nov 2017

I have bought many items from Gearbest (and Banggood) - mostly cheaper items. I have had just two issues - one device stopped working after a couple of days and I was refunded promptly. On another item I had ordered 3 but two were received - they sent a replacement. There are threads on HUKD where people have had problems (empty packages) but again these are the minority.

I would video the opening of the package on receipt in case of any problem.

I would also avoid the use of DHL if there is another secure delivery method. DHL's admin charge is approx £11 if I remember right - they find this makes it worth their while to search through the packages to throughly identify the those due VAT/duty. Other carriers appear to be more lax and it is possible you may not be charged.

I think Gearbest have been decent in advising you all this.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, I'll reconsider.

ChronosChris31 m ago

Well you see the thing is, this ZTE Axon 7 phone has nothing but positive …Well you see the thing is, this ZTE Axon 7 phone has nothing but positive praise anywhere you look. The phone is £393.34 on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-126661101003-126661101003-Axon-7-Smartphone/dp/B01I092FLY and I can't seem to find it anywhere else but GearBest which is selling it for £194. So even if the import fees did cost me around £55 I'd still be saving a lot of damn money. But now you have me worried saying that GearBest are known for selling defective goods. Has anyone actually had a good experience buying an expensive item from GearBest before?

Phone I'm typing this on came from gearbest, as did quite few others.
Never had anything other than cheapest delivery and never had customs charges on 20-30 orders.

Original Poster

You've all convinced me to cancel my order and refund. Think I'll be buying straight from UK / EU warehouses from now on. This whole importing lark sounds like risky business. Now it's back to the drawing board of finding a good smartphone deal. Shame though, the ZTE Axon 7 had a 2k amoled display and dual stereo speakers. Is there anything that compares around the £300 mark? :P Probably not.
Edited by: "ChronosChris" 20th Nov 2017

Everything you need to know in one place gov.uk.
Edited by: "Voltix" 21st Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions