Gearbest Import Charges?

Found 28th Jun 2017
I'm buying an expensive item via DHL 5 day service from them. Am i likely to get any unexpected charges when it arrives?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Flat Fee of £11 or 2.5% whichever is greater.
DHL deliveries typically attract import fees. Typical fees are 20% (VAT) on the combined value of the item+shipping, plus an additional DHL handling fee of minimum £11
gov.uk/goo…uty
ame2607

Flat Fee of £11 or 2.5% whichever is greater.

If only that was the only cost !
Not just about import charges - just try returning it if you have any issues as there will be no EU warranty . I would never buy an expensive item from them to save a few quid . You may be lucky , but I would never even consider them for anything I couldn't afford to write off .
Yes it DHL's unofficial policy to charge. They undercut the competition using the subsidising of their prices with import charges.
Great, so I'm best just to buy it then as it'll cost £££ when it arrives...
Expensive item and gearbest in the same sentence oO
Avoid avoid avoid
Save yourself the hassle as if it goes wrong gearbest will not be interested
Don't use DHL, always uses the standard slow free shipping to avoid any extra fees.
superfreddy

Great, so I'm best just to buy it then as it'll cost £££ when it ar … Great, so I'm best just to buy it then as it'll cost £££ when it arrives...

Same with any item you import, you will be charged for it because that's the customs rules. Only way to avoid it is bring it on from holiday but get caught and you still have to pay it as you should declare it but most don't.
Can I just add that I've used gearbest & it was my first time not an expensive item about £40 for a sj7000 camera/go pro type thingy, I have to say I experienced first class service & the item was superb for the money, worked a dream on our holidays! I read a mix of reviews about the likes of gearbest & Ali express but I can only speak as I find & it's was faultless, whatever company you purchase from there will always be someone who's had a bad service it happens with all companies!
RiverDragon8

Don't use DHL, always uses the standard slow free shipping to avoid any … Don't use DHL, always uses the standard slow free shipping to avoid any extra fees.

​+1. ordered £140.00 phone on 10/6 presale supposed to ship from China on 23rd. standard shipping, it arrived yesterday, no charge. had loads of phones, tablets, android boxes from them, all standard shipping never been charged.
shadey12

+1. ordered £140.00 phone on 10/6 presale supposed to ship from China on … +1. ordered £140.00 phone on 10/6 presale supposed to ship from China on 23rd. standard shipping, it arrived yesterday, no charge. had loads of phones, tablets, android boxes from them, all standard shipping never been charged.

So you wait around 20 days on average?
superfreddy

So you wait around 20 days on average?

​i bought it as a presale item on the 10th, they were supposed to ship it on the 23rd June.
I received an email on the 15th saying they had shipped with tracking number, tracked to UK delivered yesterday by postman.
I've now bought over 60+ things from China/HK and never paid a penny in extra fees.
RiverDragon8

I've now bought over 60+ things from China/HK and never paid a penny in … I've now bought over 60+ things from China/HK and never paid a penny in extra fees.

​I was going to use the DHL service though, which you said I would be charged?
superfreddy

I was going to use the DHL service though, which you said I would be … I was going to use the DHL service though, which you said I would be charged?

Choose the UK Express 10-20 day standard shipping.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 29th Jun 2017
Don't use gearbest or DHL, just trying to double the trouble for yourself.
So could I choose - Priority Line
10 - 20 business days £0.00
UK Express
10 - 20 business days£0.00

And I shouldn't be charged any import fees or tax? This isn't DHL.
superfreddy

So could I choose - Priority Line10 - 20 business days £0.00UK Express10 … So could I choose - Priority Line10 - 20 business days £0.00UK Express10 - 20 business days£0.00And I shouldn't be charged any import fees or tax? This isn't DHL.

I've gone with uk express in the past with no issues. Just be aware you can still get hit for import fees using this, it's just less likely.
superfreddy

And I shouldn't be charged any import fees or tax? This isn't DHL.

You should be charged regardless of delivery method, that's what the law says after all.

Sometimes it won't be for whatever reason, but you should always buy assuming you'll be charged everything that's due and just consider it a bonus if you're not.
I went with the standard UK Express - NOT DHL.

I also left a note in the order to say to mark the parcel as 'gift' - that's what Gearbest suggest anyway. We'll see.
I also paid via credit card, so if something goes wrong, at least my card company will step in.
superfreddy

I went with the standard UK Express - NOT DHL.I also left a note in the … I went with the standard UK Express - NOT DHL.I also left a note in the order to say to mark the parcel as 'gift' - that's what Gearbest suggest anyway. We'll see.

The problem with gift is that it only works for low priced items. They are still assessed the same way and you will still be liable for customs charges. On top of that the seller will have to mark the value of the package if they fraudulently put a price on it and it gets lost or you need to make a claim that's all you can claim back.
Hi again - if I choose DHL(EU) am I still likely to have to pay fees?

Or, if I get them to put 'gift - value £25' on th epacket, would that avoid fees?
Bradleigh28th Jun 2017

Expensive item and gearbest in the same sentence oOAvoid avoid avoidSave …Expensive item and gearbest in the same sentence oOAvoid avoid avoidSave yourself the hassle as if it goes wrong gearbest will not be interested

I am working on something and getting people opinion would be awesome. Would you prefer to pay a tiny cost so that a UK based company can handle the warranty or repairs if something goes wrong?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions