Gearbest Paypal or Credit card?

Found 12th May
I'm looking to get the Mi Notebook Pro laptop from Gearbest and was wondering should I pay via Paypal (debit card) or Credit card for better protection in case anything happens?
Community Updates
AskPayPal
13 Comments
Just for warranty purposes I’d not touch gearbest especially for a laptop. Add 20% vat on that price which you could get hit with and see if it’s still a good price for a 1080p laptop with no warranty from a known shady company.

If you are going theough with it pay paypal hell use your credit card too.
If its between £100 and £30,000, pay on Credit card direct (not through an intermediary site such as Paypal).

The Credit Card merchant is equally liable under UK Consumer law to the same extent as the business who sold the item. That would include the 6 year period of Durability.

Which?, Martin Lewes and others will all provide info via Google.

Paypal is not UK Consumer law. Look through this forum and others to find plenty of cases where Paypal have tried to get the buyer to shut up or settle to the seller's disadvantage.

I no longer use Paypal other than for postage and trivia since having, on more than one occasion, had to explain to them why they are wrong, why UK law governs the transaction and what the correct action is.. They have always complied so they know the facts but only if you push them hard.

And it doesn't have to be over £100 to be a problem. Where a seller provides goods that are not 'as described, not 'fit for purpose' or damaged in transit, it is the sellers problem and expense to recover them. In my experience, Paypal will always tell the buyer to return the goods at the buyers expense.
Hook your credit card up to your PayPal account for maximum protection .
dezbo888824 m ago

I'm afraid you have been misinformed . As soon as you do that the CC company are no longer liable under S75 , as there is no direct relationship between the CC company and the seller .

Take your pick Paypal protection OR S75 protection , you cant have both

I really hope you haven't been labouring under the delusion that you can have both ?

Best solution is to leave dodgy Chinese websites well alone and buy from an EU retailer , then you will not be liable for import duties and a have full manufacturers warranty .
ccnp3 h, 43 m ago

If its between £100 and £30,000, pay on Credit card direct (not through an …If its between £100 and £30,000, pay on Credit card direct (not through an intermediary site such as Paypal).The Credit Card merchant is equally liable under UK Consumer law to the same extent as the business who sold the item. That would include the 6 year period of Durability.Which?, Martin Lewes and others will all provide info via Google.Paypal is not UK Consumer law. Look through this forum and others to find plenty of cases where Paypal have tried to get the buyer to shut up or settle to the seller's disadvantage. I no longer use Paypal other than for postage and trivia since having, on more than one occasion, had to explain to them why they are wrong, why UK law governs the transaction and what the correct action is.. They have always complied so they know the facts but only if you push them hard. And it doesn't have to be over £100 to be a problem. Where a seller provides goods that are not 'as described, not 'fit for purpose' or damaged in transit, it is the sellers problem and expense to recover them. In my experience, Paypal will always tell the buyer to return the goods at the buyers expense.

True, only problem is that you have to give Gearbest your card details...
I wouldnt risk it with either.
Due to the distance the warranty is next to useless and the price after vat and fees your likely to get lumped with is high.
Absolutely direct credit card payment to (any) merchant for any purchase of a single item value £100+ to qualify for UK court enforceable S75 replicated merchant obligations in UK with no need to ever contact the original merchant. Only time this of zero value is when the merchant offers little or no warranty (cos litlle or no warranty would be replicated in UK = kinda useless!).
For typical Gearbest purchases, the merchant warranty is 12months so that is the replicated warranty that is available and serviced in UK via S75. The Gearbest warranty terms that would be replicated in UK via S75 are stated here: gearbest.com/abo…tml although effectively I suspect any legitimate warranty claim via S75 would typically result in refund.
rogparki16 h, 53 m ago

I'm afraid you have been misinformed . As soon as you do that the CC …I'm afraid you have been misinformed . As soon as you do that the CC company are no longer liable under S75 , as there is no direct relationship between the CC company and the seller . Take your pick Paypal protection OR S75 protection , you cant have both I really hope you haven't been labouring under the delusion that you can have both ?Best solution is to leave dodgy Chinese websites well alone and buy from an EU retailer , then you will not be liable for import duties and a have full manufacturers warranty .

I never knew this
rogparki17 h, 10 m ago

I'm afraid you have been misinformed . As soon as you do that the CC …I'm afraid you have been misinformed . As soon as you do that the CC company are no longer liable under S75 , as there is no direct relationship between the CC company and the seller . Take your pick Paypal protection OR S75 protection , you cant have both I really hope you haven't been labouring under the delusion that you can have both ?Best solution is to leave dodgy Chinese websites well alone and buy from an EU retailer , then you will not be liable for import duties and a have full manufacturers warranty .

All correct but if OP wants this specific laptop they can't buy it officially from the EU as it's not sold officially here so has to be imported.
jamie01515 h, 25 m ago

True, only problem is that you have to give Gearbest your card details...

Reasonably sure Gearbest don't see the card details - only their gateway/merchant processor sees them. Happy to be corrected if my recollection is trousers.
"only problem is you have to give" your card details to someone...
AndyRoyd50 m ago

Reasonably sure Gearbest don't see the card details - only their …Reasonably sure Gearbest don't see the card details - only their gateway/merchant processor sees them. Happy to be corrected if my recollection is trousers."only problem is you have to give" your card details to someone...

I always pay by PayPal still - look at what happened to OnePlus.
dezbo888812th May

Section 75 does not apply when paying through a third party, it has to be a direct payment.
st8mike7 h, 48 m ago

Section 75 does not apply when paying through a third party, it has to be …Section 75 does not apply when paying through a third party, it has to be a direct payment.

Via PayPal account yes, but PayPal as a gateway is (should be) OK for S75, same as any other payment gateway. Summary: if the cc statement states the merchant name and not an intermediary name, all should be OK.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions