Gearbest Tablet - Stolen in Post

Found 28th Nov 2017
My first order from Gearbest has not been the best experience. Ordered a Onda V10 tablet for £75 with standard delivery. 3 and half weeks later the package turned up with a Royalmail 48hr Tracked delivery sticker, but after opening there was only a case in the package and a large empty space where the tablet should have been.

Looking at the package its cleary been tampered with a cut along the top which has been taped over and the tablet missing.

So most likely been stolen by a Royalmail employee or could be at the Gearbest UK warehouse where the Royalmail lable was applied, since item was originally ordered from China Warehouse not their EU Warehouse

Anyone else ever had a similar experience. I have paid by paypal do you reckon i will get a refund or not becuase the package was signed for.

Gearbest have said they will make claim to Royalmail but that should not delay me in getting a refund. Do you think i should wait or raise a claim now?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
I'd give Gearbest a chance first - see what they do. If not already done so, take photos of what is left of the packaging and send these to Gearbest.

I had a parcel from Banggood where I had ordered 3 items and could feel only 2 - so I video'ed the opening of the parcel and sent them that - they sent me the missing item.

Because of the time delay, Gearbest are likely to reply to you in the early hours of the morning hence a few emails exchanged can take a few days to sort. If no resolution is in place by say Friday I would then contact Paypal.
My experience of Gearbest warranty was very poor and left me with a dead laptop after 8 months and they are likely to take weeks with Royal Mail before they say sorry - not our fault. Did you take out the extra cost insurance when you purchased the item? If no then I would rate your chances as very low and would waste no time in making a Paypal claim.
If the item shows as delivered on the tracking you won't win an INR claim. You could file a SNAD but would need to return the 'received item' at your cost via an online trackable means.
This is a common and long-standing issue with Gearbest. They'll blame it on the courier (whichever it might be) and stonewall you in the refund, so give them one more opportunity to give you your money back, and if they continue to deny it, then claim a chargeback from your credit card provider. They're not worth wasting any time with.
Whenever signing for things I always write “item unchecked in packaging” just incase it’s helpful to counter the argument “well you signed for it therefore you’ve agreed it was delivered”
HUKD has a resident GearBest support rep. It might be a good idea to ask her to assist you in the refund/replacement process.

@Gearbest1
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Nov 2017
Thanks all for your responses.

Thanks Summoner, will try Gearbest1
Hi uk316,

Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?

Let me help you to look at this issue

Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
You can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com
Gearbest16 h, 7 m ago

Hi uk316,Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking …Hi uk316,Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?Let me help you to look at this issueGearbest Store Rep.AliceYou can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com

Alice,

Why does this keep on happening with Gearbest purchases? This forum frequently sees Gearbest customers complaining that their purchases have been stolen from their boxes, and that Gearbest has denied responsibility, has refused to issue a refund, and has blamed it all on the courier company. This, however, happens regardless of courier company, and appears to be an issue which affects Gearbest pretty much exclusively. So, why is this happening, and what is Gearbest doing to investigate and prevent it?

Or, are you really just going to pretend that it isn't your own staff stealing these goods, and continue to rip people off forever?
Gearbest129th Nov

Hi uk316,Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking …Hi uk316,Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?Let me help you to look at this issueGearbest Store Rep.AliceYou can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com

Hi Alice, i have emailed you the details
dxx29th Nov

Alice,Why does this keep on happening with Gearbest purchases? This forum …Alice,Why does this keep on happening with Gearbest purchases? This forum frequently sees Gearbest customers complaining that their purchases have been stolen from their boxes, and that Gearbest has denied responsibility, has refused to issue a refund, and has blamed it all on the courier company. This, however, happens regardless of courier company, and appears to be an issue which affects Gearbest pretty much exclusively. So, why is this happening, and what is Gearbest doing to investigate and prevent it? Or, are you really just going to pretend that it isn't your own staff stealing these goods, and continue to rip people off forever?

This was my initial suspicion since the packet i received has some large width clear tape all over the package with the Royalmail shipping lable on top - the lable is fully intact and not ripped or shows any sign of being tampered with. Yet at the top of the packet there has clearly been a cut made and taped over using the same tape. This is why i initially emailed gearbest and advised i think the package has been tampered with in their UK warehouse where the Royalmail lable is applied.

Ill post an update here once there is a resolution and confirm how Gearbest handled this.
uk3161 h, 22 m ago

Hi Alice, i have emailed you the details

OK. let me check my email message right now
WB1711200433406674
I've had the same issue yesterday, placed an order for the Lenovo p8 tablet with UK priority shipping, didn't pay for insurance. It turned up yesterday via royal mail, didn't look like it was tampered with from the outside, inside the tablet was missing from the bubble wrap, only a UK adapter was inside with the tempered glass screen protector which I had ordered as well. Not expecting Gearbest to resolve it as only the bubble wrap looks like it was tampered with.
I said this on the Axon 7 thread. Though I don't know if Royal Mail has tightened up security measures since those days (this is circa mid-1990s)

Re the Gearbest tampered packages - who is to blame, I don't know (and it's worrying to read through that thread) but it reminds me of a story of an old stoner I used to know (who I went to school with/grew up with and encountered again in adulthood).

He told me he and his mates often did the "casual" work before Xmas with Royal Mail. One guy turned up at his house and emptied an entire sack at his flat, they all picked out the giros, birthday cards with money in, and all other randomness that they thought was worth nicking.

This was years ago, of course, but I wonder if some of the temporary Xmas workers Royal Mail take on are part of the equation.

There must be some additional handling required in the UK when the Royal Mail sticker is being applied - so where in the delivery process does it get tampered? That's the million dollar question.

*I should point out that of course I don't condone this behaviour, but the karma is for him to deal with!
louiselouise9 h, 38 m ago

I said this on the Axon 7 thread. Though I don't know if Royal Mail has …I said this on the Axon 7 thread. Though I don't know if Royal Mail has tightened up security measures since those days (this is circa mid-1990s)Re the Gearbest tampered packages - who is to blame, I don't know (and it's worrying to read through that thread) but it reminds me of a story of an old stoner I used to know (who I went to school with/grew up with and encountered again in adulthood).He told me he and his mates often did the "casual" work before Xmas with Royal Mail. One guy turned up at his house and emptied an entire sack at his flat, they all picked out the giros, birthday cards with money in, and all other randomness that they thought was worth nicking.This was years ago, of course, but I wonder if some of the temporary Xmas workers Royal Mail take on are part of the equation.There must be some additional handling required in the UK when the Royal Mail sticker is being applied - so where in the delivery process does it get tampered? That's the million dollar question.*I should point out that of course I don't condone this behaviour, but the karma is for him to deal with!

My package came with a UK returns address, so Gearbest must have a UK facility or Warehouse where the Royalmail lable is applied and where any returns are sent
uk31644 m ago

My package came with a UK returns address, so Gearbest must have a UK …My package came with a UK returns address, so Gearbest must have a UK facility or Warehouse where the Royalmail lable is applied and where any returns are sent

They do, though not sure who does the labelling.

You've probably seen this thread already, but this is the company (One World Express) who deal with Gearbest's EU Warehouse items hotukdeals.com/com…865

The new HUKD website gimps some links but here's the Google Maps link quoted on that thread: google.co.uk/map…=en

Not sure who handles the "from China/Hong Kong" items when they hit the UK, though.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 3rd Dec 2017
dxx29th Nov

Alice,Why does this keep on happening with Gearbest purchases? This forum …Alice,Why does this keep on happening with Gearbest purchases? This forum frequently sees Gearbest customers complaining that their purchases have been stolen from their boxes, and that Gearbest has denied responsibility, has refused to issue a refund, and has blamed it all on the courier company. This, however, happens regardless of courier company, and appears to be an issue which affects Gearbest pretty much exclusively. So, why is this happening, and what is Gearbest doing to investigate and prevent it? Or, are you really just going to pretend that it isn't your own staff stealing these goods, and continue to rip people off forever?

dxx29th Nov

Nasir_Saleem-1091032065972nd Dec

WB1711200433406674I've had the same issue yesterday, placed an order for …WB1711200433406674I've had the same issue yesterday, placed an order for the Lenovo p8 tablet with UK priority shipping, didn't pay for insurance. It turned up yesterday via royal mail, didn't look like it was tampered with from the outside, inside the tablet was missing from the bubble wrap, only a UK adapter was inside with the tempered glass screen protector which I had ordered as well. Not expecting Gearbest to resolve it as only the bubble wrap looks like it was tampered with.

Hi Nasir_Saleem-109103206597,

OK. thanks for letting me know. and let me look into this issue for you based on your order number WB1711200433406674

You will receive a reply from my relevant colleagues within 1-2 business days

Best regards,
Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
Alice@gearbest.com
I have already been in touch with support@gearbest.com with attached pictures of the parcel but they've been unhelpful.
Because I've opened a PayPal case they're not interested anymore.
It's sad if this how Gearbest are treating their loyal customers. I have ordered a xiaomi mi max 2 and I'm worried that it also might get stolen.
Nasir_Saleem-1091032065973 h, 25 m ago

It's sad if this how Gearbest are treating their loyal customers. I have …It's sad if this how Gearbest are treating their loyal customers. I have ordered a xiaomi mi max 2 and I'm worried that it also might get stolen.

When something gets stolen from you who do you call or report the incident to?
Theft is a crime......
And who do you report crimes to?
Gatchaman53 m ago

When something gets stolen from you who do you call or report the incident …When something gets stolen from you who do you call or report the incident to?Theft is a crime...... And who do you report crimes to?

That's not really relevant in this instance. Gearbest is a Chinese retailer, so our laws and our police can't do anything to them. Your only recourse when they send you empty boxes is to go to your card provider to initiate a chargeback.
dxx9 m ago

That's not really relevant in this instance. Gearbest is a Chinese …That's not really relevant in this instance. Gearbest is a Chinese retailer, so our laws and our police can't do anything to them. Your only recourse when they send you empty boxes is to go to your card provider to initiate a chargeback.

You are correct.
Nasir_Saleem-10910320659720 h, 48 m ago

I have already been in touch with support@gearbest.com with attached …I have already been in touch with support@gearbest.com with attached pictures of the parcel but they've been unhelpful.

My team kindly request you reply this ticket E17120202845 asap
Please rest assure your issue will be finally well-solved

Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
You can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com
Edited by: "Gearbest1" 5th Dec 2017
For my initial issue Gearbest did resolve for me and as an exception a replacement was posted to me.
Came by DHL in 4 days. So im happy with how Gearbest have handled this issue.

My advice for anyone buying phones tablets or other expensive goods make sure you pay a little extra for shipping insurance and go for the DHL shipping method since the package is tracked daily in different locations. You may be hit with a customs charge, i was'nt but worth paying a little extra for a more secure delivery method
Edited by: "uk316" 13th Dec 2017
uk3162 m ago

For my initial issue Gearbest did resolve for me and as an exception a …For my initial issue Gearbest did resolve for me and as an exception a replacement was posted to me.Came by DHL in 4 days. So im happy with how Gearbest have handled this issue.My advice for anyone buying phones tablets or other expensive goods make sure you pay a little extra for shipping insurance and go for the DHL shipping method since the package is tacked daily in different locations. You may be hit with a customs charge, i was'nt but worth paying a little extra for a more secure delivery method

- plus you know when its DHL turning up at your door and you can inspect the pacakge to make sure full contents are there before signing
uk31619 h, 43 m ago

For my initial issue Gearbest did resolve for me and as an exception a …For my initial issue Gearbest did resolve for me and as an exception a replacement was posted to me.Came by DHL in 4 days. So im happy with how Gearbest have handled this issue.My advice for anyone buying phones tablets or other expensive goods make sure you pay a little extra for shipping insurance and go for the DHL shipping method since the package is tacked daily in different locations. You may be hit with a customs charge, i was'nt but worth paying a little extra for a more secure delivery method

hi uk316 im glad they solved your problem for you. im assuming alice got involved? if so what did she do for you as im not getting anywhere with my order and they are giving me the complete run around. feel free to read my post if you like. thanks
Yes Alice did help out. Maybe try contacting her by sending a PM. It may be because you raised a paypal case, but i would wait and let them resolve because Paypal don't accept a claim usually where seller has provided tracking that shows you signed for delivery
Edited by: "uk316" 14th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants