Gearbest & Yodel help

Found 1st Apr 2017
Good morning everyone.

Thanks for reading.

A few weeks ago I ordered two Xiaomi Band 2 from Gearbest. I paid a little extra for quicker delivery, ("British Priority") which consequentially means the courier for the package when it reaches the U.K. is Yodel, instead of Royal Mail.

Yodel have disappointed me several times in the past with completely failed deliveries and poor communications. If I'd have known at the time of ordering, I would have stuck with standard delivery.

Anyway, I tracked the parcel as delivered earlier this week. I got home and the parcel was nowhere to be seen. I spent an hour and a half talking with Yodel on the phone and on web chat. Web chat said they have raised the issue with the depot and that I should web chat again 24 hours later. (Why can't they contact a customer?!)
Anyway, the next day the web chat quote the depot and the driver's description of where he delivered the parcel. It was not taken to my house. It was taken to a neighbour, and left outside. I live on a converted farm area so address are similar, but even so it's quite a walk for me to check where they said.
I ask my neighbours to look for me and I look myself and there is no parcel to be found. I tell Yodel to update their log that they have lost the item. And I contact Gearbest, explaining everything.

(Gearbest asked for my address which I accidentally typed wrong and they say that's the reason it wasn't delivered and it's my fault. I then correct them and say the delivery address was correct)

Gearbest then say that the item is tracked as delivered and admit it could have been stolen or lost locally, and that I should seek compensation from Yodel.

Am I right in thinking this isn't going to work? I didn't pay anything to Yodel so they won't compensate me. What are my next steps?
I've used Gearbest a few times and always been happy, but this is really frustrating, and I've told them this, and that they are going to lose a customer. This is also the start of me not longer recommending the company to others. Granted they haven't caused the issue, but they haven't resolved it in the correct way in my eyes.
Can anyone please advice where I stand and what I should do next?

Thank you
James
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
How did you pay on GB? If via PayPal, start a PayPal claim ... usually the quickest way to get a refund. Have Yodel agreed it's been lost? PP may want to see this.
It's Gearbest's responsibility until you have the package in your hands. If it has not been signed for then there is no proof it has ended up with you. Gearbest arranged delivery- the package hasn't reached you- it's them that needs to sort it out with Yodel and seek compensation.

A similar thing happened to me with ASDA (granted they may be better on the customer service front)- they immediately sent out a replacement and said they will sort the compensation issue out with Yodel for the missing item themselves.

As you say though, Yodel is a dreadful delivery company.

My advice would be to go back to Gearbest and not let them fob you off with the 'it's your problem not ours' line.
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 1st Apr 2017
Alice the gearbest Rep is sometimes on here, don't know about weekend though.
+1 on yodel being garbage, I had a parcel track from China to their Leeds warehouse, then it didn't move. someone basically stole it.
Alice the GB rep sorted it.
Original Poster
Hello, thank you for all your responses.

Yodel have described where they left the parcel. The description matches a nearby house. I have been to the house and looked around, and also spoken with the resident. (who is a very friendly, honest man in his 90s who my family care for) I have assumed he hasn't stolen my fitness tracker. I suspect the couriers never came and just have a description from a previous delivery.

Luckily, I did pay with Paypal on this occasion, which is lucky.

I believe with them not being a UK company they can get away with lesser customer service. A few years ago a £300 iPod touch went missing. HMV gave a refund straight away. I know this item is a lot cheaper but it's principal, obviously, and one of the items is for a friend.

I will go through Paypal's resolution centre, and push a little harder with Gearbest. I will also look out for Alice.

Thank you for all the advice, can't believe I didn't think of Paypal myself. It's because I've paid by card in the past.

I've just come off the phone with yodel, I asked them to update the tracking so it says "lost" rather than delivered so Gearbest can see that. I then said I'm very disappointed with the courier and the cs advisor said "okay". So I asked if there was an apology and she claimed she didn't hear what I said. And then I repeated it. And she said "oh I didn't hear you. Well I'm sorry for the inconvenience." It was a very insincere apology. This company needs shutting down. Big time.
How on earth do you get your own address wrong when contacting someone.. I think that was the root of your problem. oO

Are you sure you didn't accidentally type it wrong when ordering or web chatting to the delivery company?

Do you know how many parcels Yodel successfully deliver each day? To say they need shutting down because your £18 fitness tracker didn't arrive sounds very selfish. With that attitude you would not be getting a sincere apology from me either.
Edited by: "Dawsy" 1st Apr 2017
ytfc_nick

It's Gearbest's responsibility until you have the package in your hands.

It would be if gearbest were a UK company, but as they're based in Shenzhen it would be Chinese laws that apply and I'm not sure what those say.

Gearbest's T&Cs state:

"Both parties agree that, following order dispatch, transportation is the sole responsibility of the third-party logistics company. During this stage, full ownership of the product(s) belongs to the buyer; all associated liability and risks during transportation shall be borne by the buyer. "
Original Poster
Dawsy,
I typed my address wrong (chatting with Gearbest customer service afterwards) because sometime it is referred to as "XYZ Farm" and other times it appears as "XYZ Farm House". This is not the root of my problem as it happened after the parcel was "delivered". It wasn't typed wrong when I ordered it because the postcode finds the address.

No I don't know. Do you? I know that is was one less than it should have been this week.
Yodel are notorious for poor service nationwide. Perhaps it was an exaggeration that they need shutting down, I was expressing how frustrated I am. It would be better if they delivered parcels, and/or admitted fault, and/or communicated with customers better.
It was two fitness trackers.

Thank you for your unhelpful response.
For me Yodel has been flawless, but this was back when I used to live in London, haven't ordered anything using them since I moved. It's good you payed with PayPal, you will most likely get your refund through them.
EndlessWaves

It would be if gearbest were a UK company, but as they're based in … It would be if gearbest were a UK company, but as they're based in Shenzhen it would be Chinese laws that apply and I'm not sure what those say.Gearbest's T&Cs state:"Both parties agree that, following order dispatch, transportation is the sole responsibility of the third-party logistics company. During this stage, full ownership of the product(s) belongs to the buyer; all associated liability and risks during transportation shall be borne by the buyer. "

Ah right, I hadn't realised they were based abroad. It just seems crazy that the buyer is the one that has to do all the sorting out despite the seller being in control over the companies they choose to deliver the goods. I suppose in other countries there are delivery companies even worse than Yodel are standard and stuff goes missing all the time.
As others have said, raise a paypal dispute stating non delivery and delivery company have admitted loss. Let them argue it out with Gearbest.
Original Poster
Thanks for your responses, most of you.

I've raised it with Paypal. Gearbest have said they will send another package for $20 but I'm not doing that. I've not responded yet but I'll politely reject the offer.

I don't think I'll be using Gearbest again but fingers crossed Paypal can fix this for me.
Dear jmn16091990,

Nice day ! I hope you are well
Sorry for my lateness to response as i just come back from a holiday

Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?

let me check my email and talk to my colleagues in the relevant department
Hopefully, i can help you to get the best solution. Cheers !

Hope to hear from you soon

Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
You can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com
Original Poster
Gearbest1

Dear jmn16091990,Nice day ! I hope you are wellSorry for my lateness to … Dear jmn16091990,Nice day ! I hope you are wellSorry for my lateness to response as i just come back from a holidayCould you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?let me check my email and talk to my colleagues in the relevant department Hopefully, i can help you to get the best solution. Cheers !Hope to hear from you soonGearbest Store Rep.AliceYou can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com

Thank you Alice. Hope you had a nice break. I have emailed you
I have exactly the same issue - Yodel lost my parcel, marked it as delivered and now Gearbest don't want to know. Paypal also don't seem to want to uphold my dispute as the parcel was 'delivered'. Alice can you please help? I have evidence from courier that they mislaid the parcel.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants