Gearbox began crunching in 2ns

Posted 19th Oct
I’ve had a new refurbed gearbox put in my Toyota about year ago (or less).
Has been running fine. Until yesterday it has began crunching in 2nd gear! Sometimes crunches from 1st to 2nd. Crunches more when down shifting.

I really don’t want to spend a fortune on another gearbox, because I’ve had to spent £££! on several different repairs.

Do you guys have suggestions on how to pro long the life or even rid the crunching.

I’ve put too much money and time into the car to give it up.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Does it do it when you switch gears only? If so it's more likely to be clutch. Could be something as simple as an adjustment needed on the clutch or as expensive as a new clutch. Go to a garage and ask them to diagnose the fault.
Double declutching = likely free solution.
Ringfinger19/10/2019 13:55

Does it do it when you switch gears only? If so it's more likely to be …Does it do it when you switch gears only? If so it's more likely to be clutch. Could be something as simple as an adjustment needed on the clutch or as expensive as a new clutch. Go to a garage and ask them to diagnose the fault.

It had a new clutch about 15k ago. Shall I try bleeding the clutch?
Warranty on the clutch? If so tell them it's faulty. They will at least diagnose the problem for you.
Have you checked the fluid levels, maybe best take it too garage whom fitted clutch or gearbox too see what they say.
You haven't bought new mats, have you? (stopping clutch going right to the floor)
MynameisM19/10/2019 21:32

Have you checked the fluid levels, maybe best take it too garage whom …Have you checked the fluid levels, maybe best take it too garage whom fitted clutch or gearbox too see what they say.

Ah just checked. Been over a year. I doubt the mechanic will have much to say. As I sourced the gearbox.
esar20/10/2019 02:37

You haven't bought new mats, have you? (stopping clutch going right to the …You haven't bought new mats, have you? (stopping clutch going right to the floor)

I haven’t. I’ll try bleed the clutch! Is it the same as bleeding brakes?
AndyRoyd19/10/2019 14:19

Double declutching = likely free solution.

After doing some oil changes with no avail. I decided to learn how to double clutch. Wasn’t too hard to learn. Is it necessary to press the accelerator pedal between the shift when double clutching?
expandingmaan20/10/2019 09:05

I haven’t. I’ll try bleed the clutch! Is it the same as bleeding brakes?

You'll have to Google that one or try YouTube
You can drive without a clutch quite easily - the knack is matching the clutch speed with the necessary engine speed. So going up the gears don't touch the throttle, just apply gentle pressure on the gearstick and when the speeds match it will slip in.
Going down the gears apply gentle pressure and a quick, gentle, 'blip ' on the throttle and it will slip in.
The fact that double clutching works suggest that the clutch needs adjustment or the clutch plate is worn. Which if this is after only a year suggests you need to adjust your driving style - possibly driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal or riding the clutch on junctions for a long time rather than using the handbrake. No idea what your driving habits are, but these are the main causes of excessive wear on a clutch.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 20th Oct
Ringfinger20/10/2019 19:31

You can drive without a clutch quite easily - the knack is matching the …You can drive without a clutch quite easily - the knack is matching the clutch speed with the necessary engine speed. So going up the gears don't touch the throttle, just apply gentle pressure on the gearstick and when the speeds match it will slip in.Going down the gears apply gentle pressure and a quick, gentle, 'blip ' on the throttle and it will slip in.The fact that double clutching works suggest that the clutch needs adjustment or the clutch plate is worn. Which if this is after only a year suggests you need to adjust your driving style - possibly driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal or riding the clutch on junctions for a long time rather than using the handbrake. No idea what your driving habits are, but these are the main causes of excessive wear on a clutch.

Interesting you mention that. I actually don’t ride the clutch. And leave it in neutral when coming to junctions. I do my very best to avoid wearing the clutch! Because I have paid for one too many clutch jobs over my last two vehicles.

Im under the impression the gearbox is at some fault or is generally weak. The first gearbox magically knackered after the clutch change.
The gearbox on the avensis t25 aren’t the best and do suffer from problems.

However I have down geared and ripped it a few times. I assume this has been the cause.

Had also bled the clutch. No luck
I think 'new refurbished' gearbox is the clue...
I wonder how much of the internal WERE new, or is it just an old 'box with maybe a few new bearings in..?
How much was the 'box?...JUST the 'box excluding fitting?
Genuine (manufacturers) gearbox gears/synchros are typically blinking expensive, so, often a rebuilt box will be an amalgamation of multiple old(scrap) gearboxes..
I have seen NEW manufacturers gearboxes costing insane amounts -literaly half the price of a new VEHICLE!!!
renoman21/10/2019 03:36

I think 'new refurbished' gearbox is the clue...I wonder how much of the …I think 'new refurbished' gearbox is the clue...I wonder how much of the internal WERE new, or is it just an old 'box with maybe a few new bearings in..?How much was the 'box?...JUST the 'box excluding fitting?Genuine (manufacturers) gearbox gears/synchros are typically blinking expensive, so, often a rebuilt box will be an amalgamation of multiple old(scrap) gearboxes..I have seen NEW manufacturers gearboxes costing insane amounts -literaly half the price of a new VEHICLE!!!

I think you are correct. I paid £250 to £300 if I remember correctly.

And it’s usually the bearing which go on then, so doubt everything was changed in it.

Oh well, will have to drive it. I don’t fancy forking out again for a new gearbox.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants