Geekbuying sent the wrong phone

Found 4th JulEdited by:"Owens93"
Hi, i bought a redmi note 5 4gb 64gb from geekbuying, even paid extra to get it from the UK warehouse.
A few days later they delivered a redmi 5 plus and are now saying that I have 7 days to return the phone to china, that I am responsible for all shipping fees, and if I decide to keep the phone I can only get 5% compensation despite a £70 price difference.

I've gone through paypal for a refund, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of returns to this company, how long will I be waiting and will I ever actually get a full refund for the phone and delivery?

Edit: they also stated in their email that they can only process the return as a "disliked item" which seems like they're trying to blame me for this, as if it's my problem and i should just be happy with what they sent.

I'm also beginning to doubt that they ever had my phone in the UK to begin with, they probably just lied on the store page and sent the much cheaper product knowing how hard it would be for me to return it once I realised.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I would state in your eBay case that you are happy to return the handset they sent in error however as it is their error that they should arrange collection and pay for the collection of the item sent out as it was their mistake. You ordered the goods in good faith and they have supplied the incorrect items.

Explain that they warehouse was listed as UK and therefore you would expect it to return to the UK however the seller has provided a Chinese address. Tell PayPal that the seller has also informed you that it’s your responsibility to post the item back and you disagree as had the seller sent the correct item you would not be returning it.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Jul
18 Comments
In my experience you’re up ship creek without a paddle. PayPal won’t help you because they have offered you a refund if you return the phone.
It’s in the sites terms and conditions that the buyer pays return shipping and paypal agree with it.
Either accept 5% refund or pay an exorbitant amount to send it back and then learn the lesson to never buy anything from China over £10.

I’m looking at you gearbest, you shady mofo’s.
Edited by: "migavupe" 4th Jul
migavupe2 m ago

In my experience you’re up ship creek without a paddle. PayPal won’t help y …In my experience you’re up ship creek without a paddle. PayPal won’t help you because they have offered you a refund if you return the phone. It’s in the sites terms and conditions that the buyer pays return shipping and paypal agree with it. Either accept 5% refund or pay an exorbitant amount to send it back and then learn the lesson to never buy anything from China over £10.I’m looking at you gearbest, you shady mofo’s.

Buyer paying return shipping shouldn't apply though if they've made an error and sent the wrong item, should it?
I would state in your eBay case that you are happy to return the handset they sent in error however as it is their error that they should arrange collection and pay for the collection of the item sent out as it was their mistake. You ordered the goods in good faith and they have supplied the incorrect items.

Explain that they warehouse was listed as UK and therefore you would expect it to return to the UK however the seller has provided a Chinese address. Tell PayPal that the seller has also informed you that it’s your responsibility to post the item back and you disagree as had the seller sent the correct item you would not be returning it.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Jul
As Cmdr_elito states but a bit more specific is you need to state you have not received the item purchased and therefore the sale does not conform to the contract formed.

You are happy for the vendor to supply the correct item or issue a full refund - neither is forth coming.

You are also happy for the vendor to arrange collection of the goods you did not order and are prepared to look after them until such time that the do although you are unprepared to incur costs on their behalf for something outside the terms of the contract formed. You need to be amenable to them making reasonable requests (sending goods you did not order back to china is far from that)

This is an easy win for you and a double loss to the seller if they do not play ball.
Looks like they're trying it on with you. I'd keep with paypal dispute as you bought it in the UK you can return it to the same address it dispatched from.
Have you opened a case on Paypal, if so, which type (INR or SNAD).

You will have to pay the returns if you are going via a Paypal case. Be aware that it must be tracked, viewable online and must show as delivered before Paypal will process the return.

Did you buy it though eBay?
Original Poster
I opened a significantly not as described case with paypal as I received a phone, just not the one I paid for. I bought it from the geekbuying site, not ebay.

My problem isn't so much that they sent the wrong phone, i can understand how a redmi note 5 and a redmi 5 plus could get mixed up, but I ordered it from a UK warehouse and expecting me to ship it all the way to China at my own expense is completely unreasonable, especially considering they don't guarantee a refund and even threaten a 20% charge if they deem it to not be in perfect condition.

This would all be simpler if they would just collect the phone and make an exchange.
Play them at their own game...send back a weighted box recorded delivery
Owens9335 m ago

I opened a significantly not as described case with paypal as I received a …I opened a significantly not as described case with paypal as I received a phone, just not the one I paid for. I bought it from the geekbuying site, not ebay.My problem isn't so much that they sent the wrong phone, i can understand how a redmi note 5 and a redmi 5 plus could get mixed up, but I ordered it from a UK warehouse and expecting me to ship it all the way to China at my own expense is completely unreasonable, especially considering they don't guarantee a refund and even threaten a 20% charge if they deem it to not be in perfect condition.This would all be simpler if they would just collect the phone and make an exchange.

That's a big problem. Paypal will want the online tracking for delivery to the address the seller requests. Paypal will expect you to fund the tracking. You can get help with "returns on us" from Paypal (google it) as you will get £15 towards the postage but I imagine a tracked and insured carrier will be expensive - some won't cover phones due to the battery.
FYI these are the terms you are abiding by seems they have you tied up you will get your money back after sending the item back. PayPal don’t care about anything other than a delivered tracking info. (Got and old phones lying around )

Items Wrong on Arrival

If the item you received is completely different from the one you ordered, e.g. different color, different model etc.
1. Email us with pictures attached of the received items/package and detailed information to describe the issue.
2. After verifying all the required information, we will send you the correct item on the original order
3. Alternatively, if the customer is willing to keep the received wrong item, we would happy to provide a 5% compensation of the order amount.

Note:
1. There is a possibility that we may require to ship the defective/wrong item back first before sending a new replacement. All the returned defective items are sent back to China for repair since the factory and maintenance points locate there.
2. DO contact our customer support for RMA before returning. GeekBuying will not be responsible for any returning without notifying us.
3. Kindly please contact our customers support for help before raising any dispute or chargeback. We are always here to help and provide solutions.

Return Shipping Fee

The return shipping fee responsibility depends on the usage period of the item. For details:
1.14 Days Disliked item-Customer (replacement or refund warranty)
Customers are responsible for returning shipping fee if you want to return the disliked item. After receiving the returning, we will either refund you (shipping fee excluded) or send exchange item, depending upon your requirement.
2. Dead on arrival-GeekBuying (replacement or refund warranty)
GeekBuying will be in charge of the returning shipping fee if it is a DOA item. After receiving the returning, we will either refund you or send exchange item, depending upon your requirement.
3. Within 1 month-GeekBuying (free repair warranty)
GeekBuying will be in charge of the shipping fee in the form of partially coupons and partially refund to your PayPal account.
4. Within 1 ~ 6 months-GeekBuying & customer share (free repair warranty only)
Items should be returned at customer’s cost for free repair and GeekBuying will pay for the shipping fee of sending the repaired item to customer.
5. Within 6~ 12 months-Customer (free repair warranty only)
Customers shall cover the returning shipping fee to get the free repair warranty within 1 year warranty period
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 4th Jul
Door, horse, bolted, but for future ref: believe Geekbuying accept direct credit card payment. If the mechant had been paid for this item directly by credit card the customer would file straightforward S75 claim in UK for simple 100% re-imbursement with none of this Paypal wishy-washy might do / might not / pay your postage to China / might get refund rubbish.
Are the specs different?

saw this as I remembered in some countries it was replaced by redmi 5 plus.

Click me.

Google and you will see plenty of articles. I'm not an expert on the new phones as still on my redmi note 3.
Original Poster
Yes the specs are different, they have different cameras, different android versions, and mainly the redmi note 5 which i ordered has a snapdragon 636 processor while the redmi 5 plus they sent has an older 625. Also, I ordered a 4gb 64gb version while the redmi 5 plus is 3gb 34gb.

Honestly, I'd keep the phone if they refunded the difference as my old phone broke and I can't wait what could potentially be months for them to send me what I ordered, but their terms and conditions only offer a 5% compensation if I keep the phone which is pretty disgraceful considering the price difference.
You could play them at their own game, weigh the phone and something on equal weight, send them their item back, PayPal just cares about the shipping tracking not what's inside

Or if you want to keep it, don't take the 5% push for more
Just deal with it on PayPal, it's their fault so I don't think you'll be told to pay any returns since it isn't your fault, if you do they pay up £15 for returns (but since it's the wrong item PayPal will make seller pay in my experience)
Edited by: "Norseg" 4th Jul
miikeyblue5 h, 49 m ago

Buyer paying return shipping shouldn't apply though if they've made an …Buyer paying return shipping shouldn't apply though if they've made an error and sent the wrong item, should it?

That's what I was thinking
Paypal will not make the seller pay for the return. Paypal make the buyer pay but they do offer a reimbursement IF you register (returns on us programme).
windym16 h, 4 m ago

Paypal will not make the seller pay for the return. Paypal make the buyer …Paypal will not make the seller pay for the return. Paypal make the buyer pay but they do offer a reimbursement IF you register (returns on us programme).

Seriously doubt it is possible to send an item such as this to China with necessary insurance and tracking within the max £15 reimbursement PayPal offers.
AndyRoyd6 h, 58 m ago

Seriously doubt it is possible to send an item such as this to China with …Seriously doubt it is possible to send an item such as this to China with necessary insurance and tracking within the max £15 reimbursement PayPal offers.

No, I doubt it's possible. My point being, the buyer pays the full cost, if they register with Returns On Us they get £15 towards it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions