Geekbuying website

Posted 28th Dec 2019
Anybody bought anything from geekbuying dot com? Looking for a phone, how about tax? Are they able to change value off the parcel ?

Thanks
Community Updates
5 Comments
Bought quite a few low value items from the EU warehouse of that site. No delivery / not-as-described issues, although I am aware that warranty servicing would be problematic. Not sure why you would want to evade any import tax that may be due if placing £15+ order from non-Euro warehouse(s).
AndyRoyd28/12/2019 19:42

Bought quite a few low value items from the EU warehouse of that site. No …Bought quite a few low value items from the EU warehouse of that site. No delivery / not-as-described issues, although I am aware that warranty servicing would be problematic. Not sure why you would want to evade any import tax that may be due if placing £15+ order from non-Euro warehouse(s).

The phone is 250 pounds, I’m sure tax would be approximately 50 pounds
ljurgaitis28/12/2019 22:11

£50 import fee (VAT), plus minimum £8 handling fee if the import fee is not pre-paid. Still not sure why you would want the supplier to change the value of the parcel. Reducing the value leaves you open to reduced compensation if anything happens to the item (assuming any compensation would be available); increasing the value means greater import fee; and either option is arguably fraudulent.
ljurgaitis28/12/2019 22:11

Why not consider attempting to source the same handset from a supplier that sorts the import VAT before it hits your doostep? Even if the device costs a few £ extra, it may be money well spent. That marmite merchant recently suspended from HUKD may tick those boxes: no additional import fees with an Eglobalcental purchase. Usual comment to consider an S75-qualifying purchase from any merchant, foreign or local.
Dont HMRC now go more on whats inside the parcel rather than the declared value anyway as they know so many people are trying to defraud them this way? I've certainly noticed it recently that the value on items coming in on packaging doesnt resemble what I'm charged.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions