Groups

geforce gtx 950 mini gddr5 2gb Is it worth SLI as I got two of them?

HI Guys,

Another question for you, I picked up the Asus GTX 950 mini GDDR5 2GB model the other day, well 2 of them on sale from a chap clearing them out. I paid £65 odd each for them new!

Here is some of the info from a website if that helps
    Specification:
    - Core Clock: 1026MHz (Maxwell)
    - Core Boost Clock: 1190MHz
    - Memory: 2048MB GDDR5
    - Memory Clock: 6610MHz (Effective)
    - Memory Interface: 128-Bit
    - Processing Cores: 768
    - Bus Type: PCI-Express GEN 3.0 (Backwards compatible)
    - Display Connectors: 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x HDMI & 1x DisplayPort
    - HDCP Capable
    - G-Sync Support
    - DirectX 12 Support
    - OpenGL 4.5 Support
    - Maximum Display: 4
    - NVIDIA Surround Enabled
    - Extremely Lower power consumption (Maximum consumption 90 watts at stock speed)
    - PCIE Connector: 1x 6Pin
    - Warranty: 3 Years

I have a Asrock 990 Extreme3 mobo with a AMD FX6300 CPU, 16gb ram and

XFX550w pro psu with the following info

Fixed FDD : One Connectors, Fixed (Molex): 6 (2x Triple Molex Cables), Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin, Fixed ATX12V / EPS12V : One 4+4-pin, One EPS 12V 8-pin, Fixed Motherboard Connector : 20+4-Pin,
    Fixed SATA : Up to 9 Connectors (3 Triple SATA Cables)

I did notice the GPU require 6pin, does my PSU cover SLI or do I need to get a extra attachment?

Gaming wise I don't play any current high level games as still going through many old ones from 3+ years ago or older classics skyrim, bioshock, dragonage (not even started them yet) warcraft3 (yip still not finished it)!

I don't plan to change the cards for a while, but they are going to be a upgrade from a old AMD HD6700!

If not, will the extra card then fit into a Dell T20 Poweredge, I picked up from the servers direct cashback under £100 deal, that will replace a older HP N36L. Seems overkill to use a server/kodi/plex/backup hookup to the 55" TV. I could just reuse the AMD HD6700 in it - if it fits, anyway, that's another question ASK!

Any advice please

10 Comments

seen a couple of reviews on 950 in sli and apparently it holds its own very well and at £65 each you should have a rather capable 1080p setup although the 2gb may be a slight drawback if your playing games like skyrim, fallout etc with mods. but worth a shot.

mcon

seen a couple of reviews on 950 in sli and apparently it holds its own … seen a couple of reviews on 950 in sli and apparently it holds its own very well and at £65 each you should have a rather capable 1080p setup although the 2gb may be a slight drawback if your playing games like skyrim, fallout etc with mods. but worth a shot.

​ps your 550 watt psu will be fine.

Original Poster

great news that, as I thought the sli might not of worked, but the box said it does! He wanted £150 for the two and waved £130 cash and the deal was done. Real happy with the purchase, just need to get it in action.

The 550W and this 6pin - The PSU mentions ''Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin'' How do I get around the 6 pin issue with both cards?

I will be adding a hyper 212 or noctua D14 to cover any extra work on the cpu. Just checking case info and what will work best with PSU.

Anyone got any links on setup with the pins in a sli?

godzillafan

The 550W and this 6pin - The PSU mentions ''Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x … The 550W and this 6pin - The PSU mentions ''Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin'' How do I get around the 6 pin issue with both cards?

What issue? Each card only needs a single 6-pin connector and you've got two of them.

Original Poster

The PSU states - Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin,

unless I got something wrong, psu specs says I only have 1 x 6pin!

godzillafan

The PSU states - Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin,unless I … The PSU states - Fixed PCI-E Connectors : 1x 6-pin, 1x 6+2-pin,unless I got something wrong, psu specs says I only have 1 x 6pin!

A 6+2 pin connector is a standard 6-pin connector accompanied by a small extra connector (with 2 pins) next to it on the wire that can be combined for hardware with an 8-pin socket.

https://****/images/MP1GJ6

one of these is a six+2 pcie if you look at your pcie connector with 8 pins total, two at the end should unclip to become a six pin. hope this helps

Original Poster

Good it, will take the case apart and locate all the connections, just getting all the hardware and bits in place first.

SSD done and now the cards, cpu cooler is nxt

glad that the sli will work

mcon

https://****/images/MP1GJ6 one of these is a six+2 pcie if you look at … https://****/images/MP1GJ6 one of these is a six+2 pcie if you look at your pcie connector with 8 pins total, two at the end should unclip to become a six pin. hope this helps

​sorry broken link

google.co.uk/sea…524

Original Poster

mcon

​sorry broken link h … ​sorry broken link https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=6%2B2+pin+pcie&safe=off&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZgbi35ZbPAhUIDsAKHT15C4UQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=524

cheers for that, just figured that out! Looks like the sli will work
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which android box?23
      2. Virgin media sign up55
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?710
      4. BT sport on sky boxes512

See more discussions