General Accident Car Insurance - Telemetrics/Black Box Policy!

Posted 2nd Apr 2019
Ok, wanted to moan about the above but wasn't sure where or who to moan to, so thought I would vent on here for a minute or two

Unfortunately, with the cost of insurance these days the only way for most young/newly qualified drivers to get on the road is to have a "black box" policy?
Or you could just not bother and save yourself thousands?? (not condoning that at all, but it makes you feel that way sometimes?!)

Eldest son has just taken out a policy with General Accident (who are a trading arm of Aviva these days)
Because of his age and that he's only been driving a year, the insurance seemed expensive, unless he wanted a policy with a black box that almost halved the price, not from the same company though.

Ok, decision made, Black Box policy it is, the difference will or should cover just about all his expenses of running the car for the next year, including the petrol.
They tell him that he will hear about the black box and fitting it in due course, which he duly does.
Unlike previously, the black box supplied by this insurer is a self fit unit, small and compact and simply plugs into the OBD port and links to an app on your phone to monitor your driving style/habits.
Knew all that so, so far, so good.

Anyway, long story short, he's changed his car.
Expected there to be some charges associated with doing so but wasn't prepared for a £70 removal fee and a £70 fitting fee for the black box!!!!

I get there would be charges for someone else to do those things if they'd been "fitted" as such, but to charge him £70 for him to locate the OBD port and insert the black box into it seemed excessive!!
To then charge him another £70 for him to remove said black box from the OBD port seemed excessive again!!
And there's nothing he can say or do about it as it's in his policy, that there may be a charge for the fitting and removal of the black box!!

Just a word of warning if you're or someone you know is in the market for this type of insurance, General Accident will charge you for working for them?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

13 Comments
Ive just joined Bymiles car insurance.
They use an OBD2 device, Mine is on an extention lead due to fitting issues.
This is so called black box insurance, aimed at low milage users.

I just moved and was looking at my insurance doubling to over £600.00 a year, Now will be only about £300.00.
Lower than my renewal at old house.

With Bymiles.
You pay a fee for Parking your car at home- then a per mile charge when you drive.
IE £200 fully comp with legal cover protected bonus then 3.2p a mile for me any way.
No time restrictions on driving + you get a free built in tracker could come in handy.
Also I can make 3 changes a year for no fees.( if i changed car I might have to pay a bit more or less )

This might not help your son, but might help others on hotukdeals.
It is possible they are using the £ 70 for the cost of de registration of the old car and new £70 for registration of the new. They may also point out administrative costs. But both of these are very excessive or a own fit item.
bigwheels37 m ago

Ive just joined Bymiles car insurance.They use an OBD2 device, Mine is on …Ive just joined Bymiles car insurance.They use an OBD2 device, Mine is on an extention lead due to fitting issues.This is so called black box insurance, aimed at low milage users.I just moved and was looking at my insurance doubling to over £600.00 a year, Now will be only about £300.00.Lower than my renewal at old house.With Bymiles.You pay a fee for Parking your car at home- then a per mile charge when you drive.IE £200 fully comp with legal cover protected bonus then 3.2p a mile for me any way.No time restrictions on driving + you get a free built in tracker could come in handy.Also I can make 3 changes a year for no fees.( if i changed car I might have to pay a bit more or less )This might not help your son, but might help others on hotukdeals.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they only quote for drivers over 25 by which time I hope he will be free of “black box” driving?
They (bymiles) recommended another company but they couldn’t quote either, probably because of his age??
grommachine6 m ago

It is possible they are using the £ 70 for the cost of de registration of …It is possible they are using the £ 70 for the cost of de registration of the old car and new £70 for registration of the new. They may also point out administrative costs. But both of these are very excessive or a own fit item.

Thats sort of the gist of it, they’re not administration charges as he’d already been told there wasn’t any, but it’s a processing charge instead??
We’re awaiting the complaints paperwork/numbers (not that I think we’re going to get very far?!?),as £70 a time for HIM to fit/remove something for them is ridiculous!!
It seems mad, But some times its cheaper for young drivers to buy a brand new car, say a fiat 500 when they give 1 or 2 years free insurance included.
As 2 years insurance for young drivers is almost as much as the new car.
Had this with Flux insurance on my daughters car. It was sat on the driveway while we were on holiday last year, and the sun must have softened the adhesive used to attach it to the windscreen. She received an email that her black box was 'not working correctly' so got my dad to pop round and check it. He reattached it, but unfortunately rotated it 90 degrees. When we got home Flux had messaged to say it was now incorrectly fitted and her insurance would be cancelled. One panicked phone call later we had to pay £75 for a new box as they would not accept us resetting the original box the right way round.
On a happier note her second years insurance went down to £450 from £1500 and now black box free thank god!
Edited by: "walrus4" 2nd Apr 2019
Complain or send them a bill for say £300. Pounds for him fitting it if they are charging a fitting charge surely they should be paying the fitter to fit it which vwas your son. Orcthry shouldn't call it a fitting charge. I would complain and take it too higher up it shouldn't be charged. Insurance companies are known for these things but it should be reasonable costs and no have been incurred by them .
MynameisM10 m ago

Complain or send them a bill for say £300. Pounds for him fitting it

Yeah, that will surely work.
Both my sons had to start off with a black box. First son now has 3 years no claims and was advised he would not need a box but it’s recorded with an app, he has just bought a new car and they won’t insure it. Far too sporty a car so he had to cancel his insurance and go with a new one, pain in the backside as he’s half way through a year. We were told by old company he would be lucky to get a quote with anyone else, funny as we got 15 quotes with lowest being only £100 a year more.

2nd son has two years no claims and also no box now but the app, we get regular notifications that he is speeding. Yeah he is speeding alright because it’s flipping picking up train journeys!
Hes parking car in car park so app picking up journey but then it’s not disconnecting.
absolute nonsense! They have both decided that they will not be insuring with a box/app next hear.
Youngsters should always be the additional driver. This way their insurance will go down when they try to apply for one themselves a few years later.
zworld02/04/2019 23:07

Youngsters should always be the additional driver. This way their …Youngsters should always be the additional driver. This way their insurance will go down when they try to apply for one themselves a few years later.

We did try going that route but it made my insurance more for me with him on it than it was for him to have his own policy on his car and me to have my policy on my car, if that makes sense?
I started my driving journey with third party, fire and theft but even that was more expensive than comprehensive
defgimp34 m ago

We did try going that route but it made my insurance more for me with him …We did try going that route but it made my insurance more for me with him on it than it was for him to have his own policy on his car and me to have my policy on my car, if that makes sense?I started my driving journey with third party, fire and theft but even that was more expensive than comprehensive

When I started driving, I was additional driver on mum's car, a 2001 1.6l Focus. Our insurance was £950. Five years later, I now pay £400 for a 2l Focus. Being automatic, the insurance is a bit higher.
zworld13 h, 49 m ago

Youngsters should always be the additional driver. This way their …Youngsters should always be the additional driver. This way their insurance will go down when they try to apply for one themselves a few years later.

Youngsters should only be an additional driver if that is genuinely what they are. If they’re using the car more than anyone else then they should be insured as the main driver. Fronting is illegal.

I would rather my kids had their own policies, they prefer that too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants