Groups

General HD Plasma advice

Hi all,
    I was looking to buy a new TV anytime soon. Ideally a 40" or 42" 1080p plasma.

Now my budget is about £600-700. I probably wont get the spec I want for that price so really my question is that is it worth getting a 1080p TV in order to save money?

Can you really tell the difference? How about Sky HD, or XBOX 360, do you need a 1080p TV to get the best out of that? I don't have much idea when it comes to TV's.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Woz

11 Comments

there was a sony 40" LCD on here earlier for £599 - with 5 yr warranty

If you haven't really got a clue about TVs then no, you really won't be able to tell the difference.
    Not at that size anyway.

richersounds.com/sho…00U

40" Bravia with 5yr warranty £657.90 or 1 yr warranty £597.95

richersounds.com/sho…TAR

If you decide that 720p is enough, theres a 50" LG plasma (got a few left in the warehouse apparently) for under £700 (£692.90) WITH 5 yr warranty . . .

As you probably have guessed, i use Richer Sounds a fair bit and the service has always been great

I prefer LCD i had a Plasma and it lasted only 2 years! and it was a LG not a budget set

mikebike;3378983

I prefer LCD i had a Plasma and it lasted only 2 years! and it was a LG … I prefer LCD i had a Plasma and it lasted only 2 years! and it was a LG not a budget set

It's a matter of opinion as to which is best (plasma for me) but for a 50" tv with 5yr guarantee for under £700 sounds like a good deal to me. ;-)

mikebike;3378983

I prefer LCD i had a Plasma and it lasted only 2 years! and it was a LG … I prefer LCD i had a Plasma and it lasted only 2 years! and it was a LG not a budget set

was it the plasma screen that was faulty or just the circuitry?

Original Poster

Thanks for the replys guys but its not really answered my questions

I see the prices but its more the questions I need to know for say XBOX and Sky HD. I dont want to be replacing my TV in two years time.

Banned

in a nutshell, if you are going to be sitting within 6 foot of the TV, then there would be a noticeable difference on a 42". But i still wouldnt pay the extra and would rather go for the £700 50" with 5 yr warranty (which I did).

Seen a friends Samsung LCD, and whilst its fine for gaming, SD broadcast through sky was pretty ropey.

Equivalent Panasonic Plasma was excellent with SD broadcast.

I know people prefer one over the other, but TBH i am only using it for normal TV viewing so the Panasonic wins by a longshot.

what i will say is that pop down to places like Currys/John Lewis and look at the sets in action before buying. Don't rely on peoples opinions.

I am hoping to get a Panasonic either the 1080p model or the freesat model very close to christmas or soon after

Banned

kunjoosewala;3394742

....what i will say is that pop down to places like Currys/John Lewis and … ....what i will say is that pop down to places like Currys/John Lewis and look at the sets in action before buying. Don't rely on peoples opinions.

good advice. Try take a laptop with some good quality video on to play back on each tv as their feeds are carp

csiman;3395824

good advice. Try take a laptop with some good quality video on to play … good advice. Try take a laptop with some good quality video on to play back on each tv as their feeds are carp

and Especially with Curry, DONT let them pressure you into buying a TV or the extra guarantee.

JL tend to be better because the staff are not on commision and more knowledgible on the products
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc37
      2. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      3. Best IPTV Paid service?1721
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please46

See more discussions