Genetic map reveals how British, Irish and European we really are......

18 replies
Found 3rd Aug 2016
The study carried out by genealogy website Ancestry obtained DNA samples from participants through saliva-based home testing kits.

The technique allowed researchers to trace the ethnic make-up of people as far back as 500 years.

The results of a test of two million people around the UK showed that on average......

In England, the average citizen is 37% British, with a smaller Irish heritage of 20%.

Scots are significantly closer to the Irish, with a 43.84% Celtic share mixed with 26.18% British, 13.05% from Europe west, as well as a Scandinavian element of 7.19%.

The Welsh have a more even combination, with an average British stock of 36.15%, compared to 31.99% Irish.

N. Ireland is made up of 48.49% Irish (Celtic) and 23.64% British (Anglo-Saxon).

1. Misc
  2. Map
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Map
18 Comments

Map,pie charts

Original Poster

thewongwing101

Map,pie charts

I know, sexy huh!!! X)

I concur

My maternal side
My 8th great-grandfather was born in Staffordshire Moors in 1640 and my Gt Grandmother was born in Dublin in 1875

and

My paternal side
My 3rd great-grandfather was born Lincolnshire in 1786 as where the majority of my fathers family history

So does that mean that when the usual racist posters come along here later on tonight moaning about immigration, we can tell them that they need to "go back to where they came from" before they ask everyone else to?
Edited by: "t_kaay" 3rd Aug 2016

Original Poster

t_kaay

So does that mean that when the usual racist posters come along here … So does that mean that when the usual racist posters come along here later on tonight moaning about immigration, we can tell them that they need to "go back to where they came from" before they ask everyone else to?

I would be very surprised to see any of the far right in here. There really is no such thing as ethnically British (Anglo Saxan is the closest we've got as the true early Britons were celts) as demonstrated by the survey, so all of their arguments are null and void from the get go.
Edited by: "Shaydog" 3rd Aug 2016

Any chart that cover imigration figures for the last 10 years.

Shaydog

I would be very surprised to see any of the far right in here. There … I would be very surprised to see any of the far right in here. There really is no such thing as ethnically British (Anglo Saxan is the closest we've got as the true early Britons were celts) as demonstrated by the survey, so all of their arguments are null and void from the get go.

British people are people from great Britain. if you are ethnically English. Scottish or Welsh then you are a British. English,Scottish, Welsh are the native ethnic groups. why do you think on the census they do every 10 year there is no option to have a black English or black Scottish? it's the same reason a white person in south Africa wouldnt claim to be a zulu
Edited by: "brendanhickey" 4th Aug 2016

my mother comes from the isle of skye and my family speak gaelic. i did a 23andme DNA test and it comes back

British and Irish 90.4%
Scandinavian 1.5%
French German 0.6%
Broadly north western European 7.2%

i am 100% north western european.

So not many "natives" here then, nearly all EU people originally.

brendanhickey

my mother comes from the isle of skye and my family speak gaelic. i did a … my mother comes from the isle of skye and my family speak gaelic. i did a 23andme DNA test and it comes back British and Irish 90.4% Scandinavian 1.5% French German 0.6% Broadly north western European 7.2%i am 100% north western european.

​What about the 0.3% left over?

Anything surprising about these numbers?

Original Poster

brendanhickey

British people are people from great Britain. if you are ethnically … British people are people from great Britain. if you are ethnically English. Scottish or Welsh then you are a British. English,Scottish, Welsh are the native ethnic groups. why do you think on the census they do every 10 year there is no option to have a black English or black Scottish? it's the same reason a white person in south Africa wouldnt claim to be a zulu

You are confusing ethnicity which is a social & cultural construct with race & genetics which has no element of influence or choice. Ethnicity is nation & tradition based and since it is socially determined is always at least partially self constructed.

If you were found years ago by the Zulu as a tiny white baby and had no contact with other people would you be any less Zulu than them by the age of 30? Of course not, you would be ethnically Zulu but genetically caucasion.

If I found a kitten in a crate of oranges would it be an orange?

Original Poster

If I compare fruit to animals during a conversation about race and genetics, would it make for a plausible argument?

Shaydog

If I compare fruit to animals during a conversation about race and … If I compare fruit to animals during a conversation about race and genetics, would it make for a plausible argument?

If you where talking about a fruit fly maybe.

Original Poster

123thisisme

If you where talking about a fruit fly maybe.

Lol, nearly mate X)

craigstephens

​What about the 0.3% left over?

​they are unknown
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    3. word association Game74244916
    4. Add one, leave one game54415442