Groups

GeoHot Talks about the removal of OtherOS on the PS3

'A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play... '

I thought it was funny...

15 Comments

Banned

Come on George, give me a reason to not sell my dust gathering PS3.

Original Poster

Jumpingphil;8241127

]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/644292/sony-to-remove-other-os-feature-fro

Yes, this is a follow up to that thread:thumbsup:

Banned

george is after some more publicity for doing shaft all...........again

edit: sorry he did do something.....he was a cause of them removing it in the first place

Original Poster

casparwhite;8241146

george is after some more publicity for doing shaft … george is after some more publicity for doing shaft all...........againedit: sorry he did do something.....he was a cause of them removing it in the first place

He's to blame for sure.

Mallinersha;8241198

He's to blame for sure.

he sure is:x

sorry if im being dumb but what does he mean by CFW ?
    "I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play... "

i have 2 ps3's, a slim and a 60gb original, I think I just might not update the 60gb as i hardly use it now, plus you never know if the ps3 is ever hacked it will push the price up for fatty's with old firmware, might pursuade me to finally part with my king of ps3's, but oh i love the memory card reader, ps2 compatiblity and extra usb's, slowly getting used to the slim not having them though!!

Banned

Jake1983;8241368

he sure is:xsorry if im being dumb but what does he mean by CFW ?"I never … he sure is:xsorry if im being dumb but what does he mean by CFW ?"I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play... "i have 2 ps3's, a slim and a 60gb original, I think I just might not update the 60gb as i hardly use it now, plus you never know if the ps3 is ever hacked it will push the price up for fatty's with old firmware, might pursuade me to finally part with my king of ps3's, but oh i love the memory card reader, ps2 compatiblity and extra usb's, slowly getting used to the slim not having them though!!

Custom firmware.

master_chief;8241373

Custom firmware.

cheers mate, repped:thumbsup: that was bugging me, i knew i knew it lol!

can ps3 games be ripped now or something?

Jack-L92;8241416

No, basically how i understand it ( but correct me if im wrong, im sure someone will lol) a little nerd (who is now famous for hacking the iphone) used linux to slighly hack part of the ps3 and gave his method out online for others to continue the work, sony have got scared and decided to punish all the original adopters of the ps3 by removing the option to install linux os.

Banned

Jake1983;8241433

No, basically how i understand it ( but correct me if im wrong, im sure … No, basically how i understand it ( but correct me if im wrong, im sure someone will lol) a little nerd (who is now famous for hacking the iphone) used linux to slighly hack part of the ps3 and gave his method out online for others to continue the work, sony have got scared and decided to punish all the original adopters of the ps3 by removing the option to install linux os.

correct other than he stole the hack for the iphone......he was part of a team but turned judas

Jack-L92;8241416

PS3 games were ripped a long long time ago. There was just no real way of playing them all. There still isnt but maybe CFW will change all that. ...

I still say patch not remove.

Banned

electriclinux;8242456

I still say patch not remove.

Exactly. MS managed it with the 360 no problem.

You can hardly blame George for the removal of OtherOS. Hackers started work on the PS3 with one eye on exploiting OtherOS from the off. Sony would have known this before releasing the PS3 and continued with the feature anyway.

There will always be hackers and they will succeed usually. Removing whole features because you don't want to spend the time actually patching the problem is just laziness on Sony's part and shows contempt for their (admittedly small) OtherOS user base. What if hackers found an exploit through say the USB storage feature, disable that too?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.78
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1324
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846245
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25102

See more discussions