Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Get a refund or stop paying car tax if not using it for a few months!

Posted 30th Mar
If you are not using one or more of your cars due to COVID19 and the cars are not parked on the road declare them SORN off road and receive a tax refund. DO IT BEFORE 31st MARCH to stop or refund April payment. Just go online and re-tax once this business is over with

gov.uk/mak…orn
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
saj8230/03/2020 14:34

Cold, will invalidate your insurance!

it didnt mine i rang them and they said as long as it stays on my drive they will cover it
41 Comments
Just be careful doing this as some insurances will only cover your car if you have Tax and MOT on your car.

Yes there is a government exemption on MOTs but nothing released for car tax.
Edited by: "cliosport65" 30th Mar
Wonder if you can stop paying tax on a company car if not used....

it didnt mine i rang them and they said as long as it stays on my drive they will cover it
mercslkman30/03/2020 14:36

it didnt mine i rang them and they said as long as it stays on my drive …it didnt mine i rang them and they said as long as it stays on my drive they will cover it

I would tend to agree with saj82, it would be unlikely that your normal car insurance would cover this without amending the policy.
cliosport6530/03/2020 14:41

I would tend to agree with saj82, it would be unlikely that your normal …I would tend to agree with saj82, it would be unlikely that your normal car insurance would cover this without amending the policy.

well before i did it i rang them and they said it is covered for theft fire damage whilst on the drive but if i take it off the drive it wont be insured that was with aviva and i did the same with my motorhome i am with comfort for that and they said the same
mercslkman30/03/2020 14:45

well before i did it i rang them and they said it is covered for theft …well before i did it i rang them and they said it is covered for theft fire damage whilst on the drive but if i take it off the drive it wont be insured that was with aviva and i did the same with my motorhome i am with comfort for that and they said the same

Just bear in mind what they say and do are 2 different things. I'm not disagreeing with you as I said in my comment just be careful as some don't cover it and will depend on the insurance company T&Cs.

People will just see this tread think its a good idea to save an average of £20 a month but could invalidate their insurance by doing so.
Are you stupid or trying.
Depending on the value of your car you could put your insurance on hold until you are ready to put it back on the road.

If you drive the car without tax. You can insure a car without MOT or Tax so long as you don't drive it. It is all about interpreting the small print.
I have just SORN'd my weekend car this morning. Brimmed with fuel and 45PSI in tyres, cleaned and parked in garage on trickle charge.

*EDIT* - Just checked all my docs online at Elephant and no mention of MOT or VED/Tax in any of the pages.
Edited by: "jrw" 30th Mar
Looking forward to claiming back a fiver!
voicon30/03/2020 14:34

Wonder if you can stop paying tax on a company car if not used....

I’d be interested to see what info comes on this
My Grandson has a £500 car and pays £180 a month insurance he is also insured for his mothers car so in 3 months it will save him a lot of money.
Higuys30/03/2020 15:25

My Grandson has a £500 car and pays £180 a month insurance he is also i …My Grandson has a £500 car and pays £180 a month insurance he is also insured for his mothers car so in 3 months it will save him a lot of money.

Wow! I pay that a year for a 370BHP Golf R! In fact, it costs more to tax than to insure!
cliosport6530/03/2020 14:50

Just bear in mind what they say and do are 2 different things. I'm not …Just bear in mind what they say and do are 2 different things. I'm not disagreeing with you as I said in my comment just be careful as some don't cover it and will depend on the insurance company T&Cs.People will just see this tread think its a good idea to save an average of £20 a month but could invalidate their insurance by doing so.

That's unlikely to be in any insurance policy. So long they don't drive it, it'll 100% be covered by insurance, Doesn't even need an MOT etc..

If you're a tenant you might want to check your tenancy agreements though as some tenancies specify that any vehicles should be in road legal condition etc.. A sorn vehicle isn't etc.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 30th Mar
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:02

That's unlikely to be in any insurance policy. So long they don't drive …That's unlikely to be in any insurance policy. So long they don't drive it, it'll 100% be covered by insurance, Doesn't even need an MOT etc..If you're a tenant you might want to check your tenancy agreements though as some tenancies specify that any vehicles should be in road legal condition etc.. A sorn vehicle isn't etc.

Incorrect actually some insurance T&Cs state you must an MOT, Road Fund License and have the vehicle properly maintained ie servicing for the vehicle to be fully insured
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:05

Incorrect actually some insurance T&Cs state you must an MOT, Road Fund …Incorrect actually some insurance T&Cs state you must an MOT, Road Fund License and have the vehicle properly maintained ie servicing for the vehicle to be fully insured

You find me some t&c's that specify that.
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:05

Incorrect actually some insurance T&Cs state you must an MOT, Road Fund …Incorrect actually some insurance T&Cs state you must an MOT, Road Fund License and have the vehicle properly maintained ie servicing for the vehicle to be fully insured

Irrelevant now because of Government actions.
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:06

You find me some t&c's that specify that.

I know of 4
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:20

Post the t&c's here of just 1.

Read your own
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:17

What are you confused about? Government actions overrule any insurance terms & conditions.
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 21:24

What are you confused about? Government actions overrule any insurance …What are you confused about? Government actions overrule any insurance terms & conditions.

If that's what you believe they haven't said anything about road fund license
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:20

Read your own

3. Caring for your Car You, or any person in charge of your Car, must protect it from damage or loss. • Alarms, immobilisers and tracking devices must be on and working when your Car is left unattended • Your Car must be fully locked and secured and any Keys that unlock your Car must be removed when it’s left unattended or unoccupied You should maintain your Car in an efficient and roadworthy condition and have a valid Department for Transport Test Certificate (MOT) if one is needed by law • If the condition of the Car causes or contributes to an incident, cover won’t be provided under the Policy. Your Insurer’s responsibility will be restricted to meeting obligations as required by Road Traffic Law. In those circumstances, they will recover from you, the driver, or any party responsible for the condition of the Car, all sums paid (including all legal costs), whether in settlement or under a judgement, of any claim arising from the accident • You must give your Insurer access to examine your Car and if asked send them evidence of a valid MOT and/or evidence your Car was regularly maintained and kept in a good condition.

It's the way it's interpreted. If you're car is sorn you don't need an MOT by law and that's the key point.
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:29

3. Caring for your Car You, or any person in charge of your Car, must …3. Caring for your Car You, or any person in charge of your Car, must protect it from damage or loss. • Alarms, immobilisers and tracking devices must be on and working when your Car is left unattended • Your Car must be fully locked and secured and any Keys that unlock your Car must be removed when it’s left unattended or unoccupied • You should maintain your Car in an efficient and roadworthy condition and have a valid Department for Transport Test Certificate (MOT) if one is needed by law • If the condition of the Car causes or contributes to an incident, cover won’t be provided under the Policy. Your Insurer’s responsibility will be restricted to meeting obligations as required by Road Traffic Law. In those circumstances, they will recover from you, the driver, or any party responsible for the condition of the Car, all sums paid (including all legal costs), whether in settlement or under a judgement, of any claim arising from the accident • You must give your Insurer access to examine your Car and if asked send them evidence of a valid MOT and/or evidence your Car was regularly maintained and kept in a good condition.It's the way it's interpreted. If you're car is sorn you don't need an MOT by law and that's the key point.

I think your missing the point its about a SORN vehicle and the insurance
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:28

If that's what you believe they haven't said anything about road fund …If that's what you believe they haven't said anything about road fund license

Road full license is not a legal requirement & never has been a legal requirement for vehicles not driven on the public highways.
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 21:33

Road full license is not a legal requirement & never has been a legal …Road full license is not a legal requirement & never has been a legal requirement for vehicles not driven on the public highways.

OK I stop paying then Thanks
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:31

I think your missing the point its about a SORN vehicle and the insurance …I think your missing the point its about a SORN vehicle and the insurance

I actually think you are missing the point. This matter of SORN, Road Tax, MOT & Insurance has been debated many many times before on HUKDs. I suggest you actually have a read of them.
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 21:36

I actually think you are missing the point. This matter of SORN, Road Tax, …I actually think you are missing the point. This matter of SORN, Road Tax, MOT & Insurance has been debated many many times before on HUKDs. I suggest you actually have a read of them.

OK I stop paying Thanks
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:31

I think your missing the point its about a SORN vehicle and the insurance …I think your missing the point its about a SORN vehicle and the insurance

Yes, it would still be covered by the insurance as being SORN means that the car doesn't need an MOT, Tax or insurance. It's no longer a legal requirement hence if you kept the insurance it'd be covered if it got stolen or damaged etc..
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:37

Yes, it would still be covered by the insurance as being SORN means that …Yes, it would still be covered by the insurance as being SORN means that the car doesn't need an MOT, Tax or insurance. It's no longer a legal requirement hence if you kept the insurance it'd be covered if it got stolen or damaged etc..

If your vehicle is sorn then it would only be covered for fire and theft?
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:40

If your vehicle is sorn then it would only be covered for fire and theft?

And vandalism, Third party etc..
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:43

And vandalism, Third party etc..

I see thanks buddy
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:44

I see thanks buddy

Please don't drive it on the road though, Being French instantly makes them "unroadworthy"
.MUFC.30/03/2020 21:46

Please don't drive it on the road though, Being French instantly makes …Please don't drive it on the road though, Being French instantly makes them "unroadworthy"

it's never on the road too many electrical faults
cliosport6530/03/2020 21:47

it's never on the road too many electrical faults … it's never on the road too many electrical faults

Sure I told you last time " Buy the basic model " less to go wrong
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions