Get out of TalkTalk contract for free

Found 29th Aug 2013
Just received email from talktalk this morning about price increases. It mentions at the bottom you have 30 days to leave penalty free!!

Read email below

Your TalkTalk Account Number: *************

Dear **********************,

These days most homes are doing more online – working, streaming, Skyping, downloading and staying in touch. So this summer, we’re upgrading to stay ahead of the game. And we’re making some commitments - better broadband at low prices.

Faster, better broadband

Behind the scenes we're working to make your broadband faster, safer and more reliable. With us, you get:

• Totally Unlimited Broadband. Be online as much as you like. We're the only provider to deliver
    totally unlimited broadband on all our packages, no caps, no extra charges.
• Superpowered Fibre Broadband. Over a million homes can get our faster fibre broadband, and yours
    is one of them. So you can do more online, all at the same time.
• Britain’s safest connection. Our HomeSafe® protection comes as part of the package. We help stop
   viruses before they get anywhere near your home, and protect your children from inappropriate
   content.

An increase to some of our prices

To bring you improvements and new services we occasionally need to put up our prices. Please note, If you have a special offer at the moment, it’s still valid*

We’re changing our prices from October 2013:

• Your line rental will be £15.40 a month from your October bill. This is still cheaper than BT.
• Any calls you make outside your bundle will be slightly higher from 1st October 2013. Find all
    the details at talktalk.co.uk/cal…ces

If the changes significantly impact your bill, you have the right to cancel your contract without penalty within 30 days of receiving this notification.

Thanks for being a TalkTalk customer.

Yours sincerely,

Nigel Pearson
Senior Director, Customer Services
Community Updates
39 Comments
ooh im glad u posted this!!!

i got the letter but didnt bother reading it properly

so bad i know

but im desperately awaitng july 2014 so i can end my horrible contract with TT

gonna call them now

dcx will no doubt be along shortly to defend their honour.
ok, on hold to cancellation team

please God, let me be free of this horrific company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
magicbeans

ok, on hold to cancellation teamplease God, let me be free of this … ok, on hold to cancellation teamplease God, let me be free of this horrific company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we to expect a running commentary while you cancel the contract? X)
RossD89

Are we to expect a running commentary while you cancel the contract? X)

yes u do...currently i am enjoying the sounds of to saxophone music *shudder*

still on hold

How does this work? Do you have to cancel your contract and then have to cease service with them, or can you cancel your contract but carry on paying the monthly charges for the service meaning you aren't limited to a specific term?

I think the key wording here is 'If the changes significantly impact your bill'.

You will probably have to prove that it will change your bill significantly, and I guess that 'significant' figure can be quite subjective.
mceverready

I think the key wording here is 'If the changes significantly impact your … I think the key wording here is 'If the changes significantly impact your bill'. You will probably have to prove that it will change your bill significantly, and I guess that 'significant' figure can be quite subjective.

damn it, i paid 12month value line rental!!!!

curses!!!!

this isnt going to impact me is it?!

dannnng it

oh well still on hold..oh no, they cut me off

oh well will try again but i dont think it applies to me

**sob**
magicbeans

damn it, i paid 12month value line rental!!!!curses!!!!this isnt going to … damn it, i paid 12month value line rental!!!!curses!!!!this isnt going to impact me is it?!dannnng itoh well still on hold..oh no, they cut me offoh well will try again but i dont think it applies to me **sob**

I guess if you can prove that the increase is significant to you then you may be able to get out of it?

Say it goes up even £1 per month, you could draw up some income and expenditure forms demonstrating that you calculate your entire outgoings to the £1 and if they were to increase it would effect your ability to pay out on something else (I am sure you can be inventive with it). This is likely to significantly impact you!
shes letting me cancel????????????
mceverready

I think the key wording here is 'If the changes significantly impact your … I think the key wording here is 'If the changes significantly impact your bill'. You will probably have to prove that it will change your bill significantly, and I guess that 'significant' figure can be quite subjective.

It was similar with the Orange thread when they changed their price plan, in fact almost worded identically. I never went over my allowance in 8 months so kept getting fobbed off with ''oh this wont affect you sir'' ... with the help from MSE they eventually knew they had no choice but to cancel it when threatened with ofcom or whoever deals with such things. It took many people a few attempts to get it cancelled but it got done.

The thread is still here in fact

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…=21
mceverready

I guess if you can prove that the increase is significant to you then you … I guess if you can prove that the increase is significant to you then you may be able to get out of it?Say it goes up even £1 per month, you could draw up some income and expenditure forms demonstrating that you calculate your entire outgoings to the £1 and if they were to increase it would effect your ability to pay out on something else (I am sure you can be inventive with it). This is likely to significantly impact you!

thing is i have paid my line rental upfront at a discounted rate

im letting her go ahead and let me disconnect and once im with the new company i will chase them up for a refund on my line rental if they dont send it themselves

woo

ok i need a RELIABLE boradband and phone company. not talktalk.

so far i found virgin the best but they dont do FO in my area. so its either BT or sky

shes taking ages writing these notes...hope she hasnt discovered i have paid my line rental already!!!!!!!
magicbeans

shes taking ages writing these notes...hope she hasnt discovered i have … shes taking ages writing these notes...hope she hasnt discovered i have paid my line rental already!!!!!!!

Good luck!!
disconnected again

ringing third person
magicbeans

disconnected againringing third person

TalkTalk living up to their normal standards of customer care..
at first i was
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_manz27iJuQ1r76lino1_250.gif

and now im

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/smith1.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc9ebkpEjI1rii545o1_500.gif

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/will-and-carlton-dance.gif

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/jasminealexandrea/tumblr_lcty2lHdpU1qctmlc.gif

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

thank u OP! sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
@magicbeans if you have paid line rental upfront you should be due a refund as you have paid in advance for services you won't be receiving.

Glad you got out of contract
Reading all this makes me wonder what I have just done...

Joined talktalk earlier this month for tv, phone and broadband @ a very good price and paying the line rental up front. So far (touch wood) except for the very poor customer service the actual broadband and tv have been very reliable.

Should I be wary about the next 18 months?

golemsmate

Reading all this makes me wonder what I have just done... Joined talktalk … Reading all this makes me wonder what I have just done... Joined talktalk earlier this month for tv, phone and broadband @ a very good price and paying the line rental up front. So far (touch wood) except for the very poor customer service the actual broadband and tv have been very reliable.Should I be wary about the next 18 months?

Na youll be fine if you dont need CS. My parents are with them and have no issues as i deal with any tech support they need
Edited by: "ZedEx" 29th Aug 2013
Does anyone have the answer to my previous comment please?

Can I just be released from the contracted term or do I have to cease all service with them?
talktalk is still the cheapest unlimited broadband
pcangeldust

talktalk is still the cheapest unlimited broadband

it's absolutely terrible though

pointless having unlimited broadband which is crap
dataload

it's absolutely terrible thoughpointless having unlimited broadband which … it's absolutely terrible thoughpointless having unlimited broadband which is crap

It is neither terrible nor crap for us - paid about £25 a month for bt infinity for 18 months,now paying £3.25 for talk talk and can't see any difference. I regularly stream videos too.
dataload

it's absolutely terrible thoughpointless having unlimited broadband which … it's absolutely terrible thoughpointless having unlimited broadband which is crap

Mines a constant 30mb... uploads at about 4mb...

Cant really complain...
daturastorm

Does anyone have the answer to my previous comment please?Can I just be … Does anyone have the answer to my previous comment please?Can I just be released from the contracted term or do I have to cease all service with them?

i think cease it all. no harm in asking
I wish sky let me end the contract
Thought I was free of the contract as I had this email and paid my final monthly installment and thought that was it. Then I received another bill for £124 as a termination fee. I was straight onto them as I was already with another provider. They said because they had offered me deals after Sky had contacted them to tell them I was switching and then I spoke to them myself saying I didn't want any enhanced deal and wanted to cancel as per the email "Free of charge" they had the right to charge a termination fee. What a load of xxxxxxxx. Anyway I asked to speak to the guys manager, again in the Indian call center. This guy said he would put a smile on my face and started offereing me deals.ie: £50 off the £124 termination fee and then another £20 off. I didn't agree. He then asked me what I wanted to pay. I said "Like a mug" to get them off my backs I would give them £20 as a termination fee, they eventually agreed to this. I still fel like I've been robbed and will never use TT again. I'm saving £10 a month with my Sky BB account so will get the £20 back in 2 months. But t's still wrong and their email is misleading if not illegal/
Magicbeans - or anyone I have read and believe that I can cancel my tslktdlk(I hope anyway) when did you sign up magic beans?was it before the 23 rd of January 2014 ?? As I have been with talktalk for years and am fed up on terrible broadband speeds ,and awful tv box!!please say when u phone up tmoz it will be all good!!!.......:)
This email I received earlier today has been an absolute godsend, if anyone was looking for a "get out of jail free card" it has arrived. I have 8 months remaining on my contract and have been dreading the idea of waiting until it expired and suddenly an email stating I could cancel without charge. I called them today to verify that it would be in fact Fee Free and it is. Still haven't cancelled yet, going to wait a few more weeks. Good Times!!
I genuinely avoid this company purely due to online comments
Everyone ....get out while you can,bad broadband speeds at peak times,terrible hardware compared to bt supplied gear, youview supplied box especially (on my second 1) customer service terrible as can't understand them,get out of free indeed,I'm going to bt as they supply award winning humax box and award winning router,plus topcashback offering £157 cash back and bt give you £50 sainsburys gift card if you sign up before Sunday ....I know where I'm going!!!bye bye talktalk!!!
I wish people would stop telling Talk Talk customers to leave. I've had nightmares with Sky BT and Supanet and loved Talk Talk. Everyone has their own experiences so stop telling everyone to jump ship coz believe me the grass ain't always greener. Plenty of happy customers on here. I have had excellent customer service broadband speed and value for two years and couldn't be happier.
Edited by: "redhot999" 23rd Apr 2014
redhot999

I wish people would stop telling Talk Talk customers to leave. I've had … I wish people would stop telling Talk Talk customers to leave. I've had nightmares with Sky BT and Supanet and loved Talk Talk. Everyone has their own experiences so stop telling everyone to jump ship coz believe me the grass ain't always greener. Plenty of happy customers on here. I have had excellent customer service broadband speed and value for two years and couldn't be happier.

Couldn't agree more!
tonyman80

Magicbeans - or anyone I have read and believe that I can cancel my … Magicbeans - or anyone I have read and believe that I can cancel my tslktdlk(I hope anyway) when did you sign up magic beans?was it before the 23 rd of January 2014 ?? As I have been with talktalk for years and am fed up on terrible broadband speeds ,and awful tv box!!please say when u phone up tmoz it will be all good!!!.......:)

yes it was, i joined them april 2012
been on bt infinity since and they have been amazing, seriously impressed as previously hated bt broadband in my old house. but didnt have the choice of virgin fibre optic here.
magicbeans

yes it was, i joined them april 2012 been on bt infinity since and they … yes it was, i joined them april 2012 been on bt infinity since and they have been amazing, seriously impressed as previously hated bt broadband in my old house. but didnt have the choice of virgin fibre optic here.

It would be lovely to have the choice of fibre but not an option for everyone unfortunately.
Well, about 3 weeks ago i decided to go to talk talk for my fibre as it was finally available in my area. I chose talk talk as i was aol with my bb for years and wierdly, had zero issues.

It was an ok deal and slightly cheaper than BT (only other privder in my area) and i negociated a deal with talk talk to get 4 months fre. perfect as the full package with 76mb fibre and tv was £48 a month.

Today was the day that the engineer was to come to install the fibre, or so I thought.

The appointment was from 8am to 1 pm so natually you assume it was 1pm they will turn up. 1pm went and gone and went onto the phone to custmer support to get an answer on why im still waiting.

6 people later and 1 hang up, i managed to get some someone telling me there was a "fault" on the line and needed to be sorted in the exchange and there will be a delay with no time frame.

There was no communication before hand to let me know it was delayed and wasted a day off work and what was worse that at 10am i asked a call centre staff to check when time they were coming to only tell me he couldn't find my account!

so all things happening before even having a service from them to i cancelled the order. that took aaaaagggggeeeesss and trying to offer me good will but with lack of anything from talk talk, i am now opting for BT and see how they go

Never Ever go to TalkTalk!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants