Get rid of a cold?

Found 23rd Nov 2017
So I've got a runny nose and a headache, was wondering what can I use to get rid of this, I know drinking plenty of fluids help.

There's one thing I've seen but don't know what it's called, it's like nasal spray but you have to breathe in
Community Updates
Ask
32 Comments
There is nothing you can do to speed the recovery time up. You can only ease the symtoms with various drugs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I find ibuprofen works best out of everything= 35p from boots. Also a pack of jakemans throats and chest cough sweets (I only like the yellow ones and the blueberry ones) 59p in Savers. Can combine with cheap paracetamol too and you'll feel much better. The cough sweets really make you be able to breat as they have eucalyptus in and it clears everything and makes you feel much better. Nothing's gonna help it go quicker though. Just eat healthily to get vitamins and you'll be good in no time feel better soon
ianhookk26 m ago

There is nothing you can do to speed the recovery time up. You can only …There is nothing you can do to speed the recovery time up. You can only ease the symtoms with various drugs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That is not the case in my personal experience. I hate taking medication so i try to avoid unless i am at deaths door, so i have tried to survive a cold without medication and with. I find that if i take lemsip, my cold goes away a lot quicker.

also if i rest, eat a lot more, especially soups and hot drinks, and keep warm, i recover a lot faster
LeahsMintytoutou8 m ago

I find ibuprofen works best out of everything= 35p from boots. Also a pack …I find ibuprofen works best out of everything= 35p from boots. Also a pack of jakemans throats and chest cough sweets (I only like the yellow ones and the blueberry ones) 59p in Savers. Can combine with cheap paracetamol too and you'll feel much better. The cough sweets really make you be able to breat as they have eucalyptus in and it clears everything and makes you feel much better. Nothing's gonna help it go quicker though. Just eat healthily to get vitamins and you'll be good in no time feel better soon

Ibuprofen is great for pain and headaches, but i find it doesnt speed up recovery for a cold, whereas lemsip tablets do so for me. I think paracetamol works better for a cold for me, which is in lemsip
mutley16 m ago

Ibuprofen is great for pain and headaches, but i find it doesnt speed up …Ibuprofen is great for pain and headaches, but i find it doesnt speed up recovery for a cold, whereas lemsip tablets do so for me. I think paracetamol works better for a cold for me, which is in lemsip

The second part I don't have an issue with but Lemsip does not speed up recovery time, only symptoms. Medical research is built on what you can prove, not your anecdotal experience.
Edited by: "ianhookk" 23rd Nov 2017
Lemsip and a decongestant to help get to sleep. I like otrivine.co.uk/

My old man swore by onions. Wee egg and onion sarnie.
mutley115 m ago

That is not the case in my personal experience. I hate taking medication …That is not the case in my personal experience. I hate taking medication so i try to avoid unless i am at deaths door, so i have tried to survive a cold without medication and with. I find that if i take lemsip, my cold goes away a lot quicker.also if i rest, eat a lot more, especially soups and hot drinks, and keep warm, i recover a lot faster

That's your own conclusion, doesn't make it true, there's nothing in lemsip that fights a virus, it's just paracetamol and a decongestant.
The only thing I use is paracetamol for aches and pains, plenty of fluids for sore throat and airwaves for blocked nose, I also get the dissolvable 1000mg vitamin c tablets from aldi which you just put in a glass of water. I used to buy lockets and tunes etc but all they did was make your mouth and teeth sticky and I'm sure could lead to tooth decay. If you get aching leg muscles I put on a pair of 300 denier tights under my trousers, this keeps them warn and eases the aching. direct.asda.com/geo…tml
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 23rd Nov 2017
Make your own lemsips to ease any sore throat symptoms. I just buy a few lemons and a bottle of honey. Tea spoon or two of each with the powder from two paracetamol capsules poured in with some hot water and they work great. Add half a tea spoon of sugar if you want to make it a little sweet.
My doctor has always recommended to avoid losengers and the likes, simply because you're just spreading the germs around. Not sure how accurate that might be but I find they don't work enough anyway so usually avoid them.
mutley121 m ago

Ibuprofen is great for pain and headaches, but i find it doesnt speed up …Ibuprofen is great for pain and headaches, but i find it doesnt speed up recovery for a cold, whereas lemsip tablets do so for me. I think paracetamol works better for a cold for me, which is in lemsip

Ewwww can't stand lemsip, it's just a little bit of paracetamol made to taste worse then it does in tablet form lol and there's less of it in the lemsip. Ibuprophen brings down all the inflammation in the sinus. It's my goto for everything lol
Steaming and plenty of vitamin C and D. I think the idea of steaming is kill off bacteria and viruses sensitive to high temperatures.
Make your own cold-smasher tea with ginger, honey and lemon. Oh and eat lots of garlic.
chantelle31026 m ago

My doctor has always recommended to avoid losengers and the likes, simply …My doctor has always recommended to avoid losengers and the likes, simply because you're just spreading the germs around. Not sure how accurate that might be but I find they don't work enough anyway so usually avoid them.

The cold virus is only contracted through the nose, your not sticking them up your nose are you
kester7617 m ago

Steaming and plenty of vitamin C and D. I think the idea of steaming is …Steaming and plenty of vitamin C and D. I think the idea of steaming is kill off bacteria and viruses sensitive to high temperatures.

Vitamins in a pill form are a complete waste of money. There is zero proof they work.
Pure_Evil44 m ago

Lemsip and a decongestant to help get to sleep. I like …Lemsip and a decongestant to help get to sleep. I like https://www.otrivine.co.uk/My old man swore by onions. Wee egg and onion sarnie.

I think I'd prefer it without the wee!
Lots and lots of hot whiskey if it doesn't work you forget you have the cold
Just got through a cold. Different things work for different people but plenty of fluids, a lemsip every 6 hours and hot baths with radix bath salts work for me. Plenty of rest is a must aswell.
My personal reach to, drug of choice is Actifed to relieve the symtom (only available over counter in chemist).

32528393-fvPGZ.jpg
4Real20162 h, 19 m ago

That's your own conclusion, doesn't make it true, there's nothing in …That's your own conclusion, doesn't make it true, there's nothing in lemsip that fights a virus, it's just paracetamol and a decongestant.

hence i said in my personal experience, that is, what i have found works for me. i have tried to go through a cold without taking medication and it lasts longer than when i take the lemsip tablets so i always take the lemsip tablets now, even though i hate taking any medicine, but that is less of an evil than having a long lasting cold for me.
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 13 m ago

Ewwww can't stand lemsip, it's just a little bit of paracetamol made to …Ewwww can't stand lemsip, it's just a little bit of paracetamol made to taste worse then it does in tablet form lol and there's less of it in the lemsip. Ibuprophen brings down all the inflammation in the sinus. It's my goto for everything lol

i can't drink the lemsip drink, i would rather just suffer a cold longer than have to drink that disgusting stuff. i buy the tablet form, which is fine as it has a plastic coating that makes it tasteless and easy to swallow. my husband on the other hand refuses to take the tablet form and will only drink the lemsip drink. he actually likes the taste, OMG

i find paracetamol tablets do nothing at all for me when i have a cold.
ianhookk3 h, 30 m ago

Vitamins in a pill form are a complete waste of money. There is zero proof …Vitamins in a pill form are a complete waste of money. There is zero proof they work.

You sure about that as I would of thought it would be more published.
'First defence' taken at first symptoms works for me
ianhookk5 h, 9 m ago

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20161208-why-vitamin-supplements-could-kill-youhttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/14/multivitamins-a-waste-of-money-and-just-create-very-expensive-urinehttps://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/17/vitamin-supplements-waste-money-scientistshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vitamin-pills-are-a-waste-of-money-experts-warn-8wpfldkjngj

None of those articles said you shouldn't take extra vitamin D & C when fighting a cold.
kester763 h, 45 m ago

None of those articles said you shouldn't take extra vitamin D & C when …None of those articles said you shouldn't take extra vitamin D & C when fighting a cold.

Really?! They also didn't say you shouldn't eat chocolate when climbing a volcano. There's a billion things it didn't say. There about 5 links there, telling you vitamins don't work. Why would they suddenly work when you have a cold? Use your brain for christs sake.
Edited by: "ianhookk" 24th Nov 2017
Colds really do me in as I can't take anything stronger than paracetamol or ibuprofen. If I so then I can't work - not the greatest problem in the world, but then I end up letting down the people I work with. Sudafed is an absolute no no and I can't even take Lemsip due to one of the ingredients as well.
ianhookk25 m ago

Really?! They also didn't say you shouldn't eat chocolate when climbing a …Really?! They also didn't say you shouldn't eat chocolate when climbing a volcano. There's a billion things it didn't say. There about 5 links there, telling you vitamins don't work. Why would they suddenly work when you have a cold? Use your brain for christs sake.

I was led to believe that your immune system burn't through vitamin c and d when fighting infection.
kester765 m ago

I was led to believe that your immune system burn't through vitamin c and …I was led to believe that your immune system burn't through vitamin c and d when fighting infection.

And you're most likely correct. The difference being a dried up old pill vs fresh fruit and vegetables. A pill has not yet been proven to provide the human body with vitamins despite what the vitamin companies want you to think.
ianhookk16 m ago

And you're most likely correct. The difference being a dried up old pill …And you're most likely correct. The difference being a dried up old pill vs fresh fruit and vegetables. A pill has not yet been proven to provide the human body with vitamins despite what the vitamin companies want you to think.

So what's the difference, why would processing damage the structure of the vitamin. I assume it has been used in the past to prevent scurvy and that should show how effective it is.
kester763 m ago

So what's the difference, why would processing damage the structure of the …So what's the difference, why would processing damage the structure of the vitamin. I assume it has been used in the past to prevent scurvy and that should show how effective it is.

You assume wrong. Ships carried lemons and limes to prevent scurvy. Why don't you read those articles? Everything is explained. The human body has evolved to take vitamins along with all the other ingredients in fruit and veg. Singling out a vitamin and putting it in a pill doesn't work.
ianhookk24 m ago

You assume wrong. Ships carried lemons and limes to prevent scurvy. Why …You assume wrong. Ships carried lemons and limes to prevent scurvy. Why don't you read those articles? Everything is explained. The human body has evolved to take vitamins along with all the other ingredients in fruit and veg. Singling out a vitamin and putting it in a pill doesn't work.

How about in a drink ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions