Groups
    EXPIRED

    Get rid of mould

    My parents for whatever reason have neglected this and I've only picked up on it now. The mould only exists upstairs, in the toilet and in a room directly opposite the toilet. They're pretty bad looking black spores.

    I'm desperate to get rid of them, I see HG mould remover is recommended but is there anything else that I should get such as a specific brush or something?

    Cheers

    21 Comments

    I've sprayed kitchen bleach cleaner on mould and left it to do it's thing - wipe it down afterwards

    hg mould spray will do the job but I wouldn't recommend it if they have asthma or other chest complaints. it is very strong smelling and will knock you off your feet if you don't have enough ventilation. if you want a safer option I use a mixture of tea tree oil and water to kill the mould then wipe off the next day with hydrogen peroxide and water to remove black stains. I hope this helps.

    If you're using sprays etc I would wear a face mask when doing it and make sure no one else is in the vicinity: once you disturb them they are at their worst, and you really don't want this stuff on your lungs.

    Is there a shower where the toilet is? Could be the culprit in which case look into better insulation. Sometimes clothes drying (esp. on radiators) can be a big cause.

    Lots of suggestions here - but I am sure bleach cleaner will do the job: howtoremoveblackmold.com/how…tml

    This is all very sensible too - wear gloves, goggles etc. From the NHS: nhs.uk/chq…873

    once cleaned install an extractor fan in the toilet either in ceiling or through the wall

    Original Poster

    thanks guys.

    no one is asthmatic. I'm 100% sure it's caused or at least accelerated by my mums cooking style coupled with not opening windows after hot showers.

    would a makeshift towel rapped around my mouth/face suffice?? lol, I really want to get rid of this crap but don't have the equipment to do it properly.

    ukting

    thanks guys.no one is asthmatic. I'm 100% sure it's caused or at least … thanks guys.no one is asthmatic. I'm 100% sure it's caused or at least accelerated by my mums cooking style coupled with not opening windows after hot showers. would a makeshift towel rapped around my mouth/face suffice?? lol, I really want to get rid of this crap but don't have the equipment to do it properly.



    Get mould remover from homebase or b&q and use rubber gloves and a sponge to remove the mould. If you are concerned about breathing in the spores then pick up dust masks, which are quite cheap.

    You need to investigate the cause of the mould, which will be lack of ventilation or damp, which for you being upstairs, may mean there is a leak in the roof letting water into the toilet and the room opposite.

    HG mould has worked well for me in the past, in bathrooms.

    Take all precautions mentioned on the bottle!! Gloves, mask, the whole shebang.

    Look into how you can ventilate the area better as you're probably right that lack of ventilation is the source of the problem.

    Also encourage your mum to use an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom.

    Good luck!

    Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these amazon.co.uk/Vit…ask

    sickly sweet

    Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these … Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitrex-Cup-Masks-Pack-VIT331003/dp/B008N8YAWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1471793530&sr=1-2&keywords=Mask


    These don't provide protection against mould spores, you need FFP2 or FFP3.
    Product description also states "Disposable DO NOT use these products where a device complying with European Directive 89/686 or 89/656 is required."

    1st thing is to check your guttering and the felt on the end roof tiles. If your ceiling and wall is damp/wet it's never going to go. Also check for leaks and dry rot. You should never get mould in a toilet. Bathroom, ensuite maybe on sealant and grouting but never in a toilet. Mould on your walls mean you have a major issue.

    Original Poster

    kester76

    1st thing is to check your guttering and the felt on the end roof tiles. … 1st thing is to check your guttering and the felt on the end roof tiles. If your ceiling and wall is damp/wet it's never going to go. Also check for leaks and dry rot. You should never get mould in a toilet. Bathroom, ensuite maybe on sealant and grouting but never in a toilet. Mould on your walls mean you have a major issue.


    woops, pardon my wording. I refer to the bathroom as the toilet exchangeably. There is no mould in the toilet itself.

    Theres mould on the roof and parts of the tiles. Certain parts of the grouting has very bad mould. This is just the bathroom. Then there is moulding in my own room which is a box room, specifically between the window and the blinding and nowhere else. I believe this is because I'm very reluctant to open my windows so the cat doesn't get in. Then there is mould scattered in small quantities elsewhere.

    Think Im going 2 avoid being a cheapskate and go into b&q/screwfix and get all the stuff I need to get the job done properly or I'll probably end up hurting myself!! The cause is very likely poor habits but it could be a leak or damage which I'll also get checked out.

    HG is the business. Used it in the past. Does a fantastic job. Do wear a mask when spraying it and removing the mould. You don't wanna inhale those spores.

    2 cups of water mix in 2 teaspoons of pure essential tree tree oil then put in spray bottle. spray on mould & wipe off with cloth.

    Tea tree oil is better than any bleach or disinfectant at killing germs bacteria fungus etc.

    you can also add 4 drops to your detergent drawer for every wash to stop mould forming in your washing machine & to disinfect your clothes naturally (doesn't leave smell) plus kills the pong in the washing machine.

    Saro

    2 cups of water mix in 2 teaspoons of pure essential tree tree oil then … 2 cups of water mix in 2 teaspoons of pure essential tree tree oil then put in spray bottle. spray on mould & wipe off with cloth. Tea tree oil is better than any bleach or disinfectant at killing germs bacteria fungus etc. you can also add 4 drops to your detergent drawer for every wash to stop mould forming in your washing machine & to disinfect your clothes naturally (doesn't leave smell) plus kills the pong in the washing machine.


    Tea tree oil also tends to strip paint...

    sickly sweet

    Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these … Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitrex-Cup-Masks-Pack-VIT331003/dp/B008N8YAWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1471793530&sr=1-2&keywords=Mask



    moneybag

    £1.99 for a suitable mask … £1.99 for a suitable mask http://www.screwfix.com/p/respair-p3ve-disposable-valved-mask-ffp3/7290k



    While these may make you psychologically feel better they will be next to useless for mold spores, you might as well hold a hankie over your face. you need one like below to give protection. Organic particle rated.

    screwfix.com/p/3…859

    sickly sweet

    Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these … Get the mould spray from Amazon and then add a pack of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitrex-Cup-Masks-Pack-VIT331003/dp/B008N8YAWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1471793530&sr=1-2&keywords=Mask

    moneybag

    £1.99 for a suitable mask … £1.99 for a suitable mask http://www.screwfix.com/p/respair-p3ve-disposable-valved-mask-ffp3/7290k


    What are you on about? The HSE and the largest producer of respiratory protection products in the UK disagree with you...

    hse.gov.uk/pUb…pdf

    multimedia.3m.com/mws…pdf

    You need to remove the mold by washing it, then improve the air circulation even if just having the window slightly open rather shut all the time. Finally wipe the surfaces with white vinegar or very weak bleach. Might want to seal any tile grout too. Pointless removing mold without rectifying why it's being encourage to breed.

    moneybag

    What are you on about? The HSE and the largest producer of respiratory … What are you on about? The HSE and the largest producer of respiratory protection products in the UK disagree with you...http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg53.pdfhttp://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/797417O/disposable-respirators-low-pdf.pdf



    If you had bothered to check the links that I was referring too you would have read neither were rated for organic particulates which includes mold spoor.

    Argoj

    If you had bothered to check the links that I was referring too you would … If you had bothered to check the links that I was referring too you would have read neither were rated for organic particulates which includes mold spoor.


    If you read my links, you would see that the FFP3 rated mask is correct for mould.
    Post a comment
    Avatar
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. DVD storage22
      2. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?77
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door11
      4. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget22

      See more discussions