Groups
    EXPIRED

getting a car tax refund?

Hi,

to cut a long story as short as possible we ended up getting 12 months tax on a car then selling the car before the 12 months even started. (cam belt went)

He didn't want the tax on it (in case he couldn't fix it) so we sent it back to the DVLA for a refund and sent the log book stuff off to inform them that we had sold the car.

They eventually told us that a letter was on it's way to us explaining why the refund was refused (this letter still hasn't arrived) but it was refused because they claim they never received the log book and that the car was still registered to us.

Once we eventually sort this mess out can we still get the whole 12 months back - they have said on the phone that it's not backdated so we have lost 2 months already and don't seem to be any closer to sorting the mess out.

The guy we sold the car to has sold it again already and it's back on the road now - presumably taxed so wouldn't they see that it has been taxed continuously and refund us? I don't really know what to do next?

Thanks for any pointers.

10 Comments

I sold my car, but the new owner failed to send the log sheet, that you should have signed at time of transaction. I had to chase new owner to sort it out! You should get some refund but I think they dont if there is only a few months outstanding. good luck!

Banned

Why would you send the log book? Its a SORN declaration you need to state its not on the road for road tax issues.

EDIT: My bad..... hadn't finished reading.

Seems most odd!

Original Poster

we sold it to a mechanic who was fixing it over the weekend - still before the old tax disc had run out - then he was either going to scrap it or tax and sell it.

He managed to fix it so it's been sold and taxed again.

It was never in a SORN off road state - well technically it was for 1 weekend but was still coverd by the old tax disc for that period?

You only get complete months back, so you need to send it today otherwise you loose another month !

Banned

guess the new owner is using your tax then. Just ring and explain situation and they can check who car is now registered with. If you have the tax disc then you should be able to return it for a pro-rata refund.

and ALWAYS send docs to DVAL via recorded mail

Original Poster

we don't have the tax disc anymore it was sent to the DVLA 2 months ago

they seem to think they havn't received it and they don't seem to be able to get letters to us either because every letter they claim to have sent has never reached us. They think the car is still registered to us.

oh and

and ALWAYS send docs to DVAL via recorded mail

I will in future!!

Ah right , did you get proof of postage ?

Othewise i think you have no chance, could be lost in the post

Original Poster

no we didn't get any proof - stupid I know.

It's more likely it's lost on some morons desk!

I don't really see how it matters though - assuming the new person has taxed it wouldn't the computer show that the same car is taxed twice so make a refund to the old owner obvious?

worto03;7966066

no we didn't get any proof - stupid I know. It's more likely it's lost on … no we didn't get any proof - stupid I know. It's more likely it's lost on some morons desk!I don't really see how it matters though - assuming the new person has taxed it wouldn't the computer show that the same car is taxed twice so make a refund to the old owner obvious?

If the new owner has taxed it ?.

worto03;7966066

no we didn't get any proof - stupid I know. It's more likely it's lost on … no we didn't get any proof - stupid I know. It's more likely it's lost on some morons desk!I don't really see how it matters though - assuming the new person has taxed it wouldn't the computer show that the same car is taxed twice so make a refund to the old owner obvious?

Did you use the correct refund form? if not you will not get a refund.

Correct form is a V14.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1329
      2. word association Game72744170
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892630
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial79

See more discussions