Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Getting a cat

Posted 29th May
Im interested in getting a cat now i have moved into a bigger place i was thinking of getting one from a rescue but my partner has some allergies i have seen online there are some that are more hypoallergenic than others has anyone found this to be true
I have seen some claims about Siberian’s could anyone recommend a good breeder or places you would recommend getting one from
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I can confirm Bengal cats are hypoallergenic.
local rescue
sussexroyal29/05/2020 21:34

local rescue

This.

They will take it back if your partner is allergic to it.
Always rescue, there are far too many unwanted cats!
Scientifically i have no idea but between myself and my close family we have always been cat people and always had 3-4 each at all times. Some come with what we would describe at itchy fur and some that dont have that effect at all. This is across not only the same breed but the same litter. We had 3 pure whites and although almost identical in looks the fur felt very different and one would make me itch and react the other two would not. This would be immediately obvious by stroking the cat and then touching your face. So many factors at play its really a case of stroke before you buy.
Pecoleye29/05/2020 21:30

I can confirm Bengal cats are hypoallergenic.

I have a full snow bengal and she sheds hair, its all over the blinds. I also see it floating in the air too.
I’d go for a savannah f1 if I was to get a cat 🐈
I was allergic to cats.

When my (now wife) girlfriend moved in with me she bought her 2 cats with her. After about a month of mild reactions I never had any again.

I now work in a cattery and never have any reactions. It's weird!

So might be worth trying but don't give up straight away if some reactions occur.
Norwegian Forest and siberian are, we have two siberian and my wife is super sensitive to cats but has zero problems with these. there are plenty of breeders on line, you may have to wait as all the pedigree ones are on long wait usually.
sillyoldbear30/05/2020 10:19

Norwegian Forest and siberian are, we have two siberian and my wife is …Norwegian Forest and siberian are, we have two siberian and my wife is super sensitive to cats but has zero problems with these. there are plenty of breeders on line, you may have to wait as all the pedigree ones are on long wait usually.

Is there any siberian breeders you can recommend i saw maria bunina and gave her a email she told me to ring her but guessing she charges £600 plus as do some of the others ive seen ideally i would prefer a rescue but if it is going to make a difference with the allergies it will be worth it in the long run
Edited by: "sd13" 30th May
sd1330/05/2020 12:48

Is there any siberian breeders you can recommend i saw maria bunina and …Is there any siberian breeders you can recommend i saw maria bunina and gave her a email she told me to ring her but guessing she charges £600 plus as do some of the others ive seen ideally i would prefer a rescue but if it is going to make a difference with the allergies it will be worth it in the long run

I can't sorry. We've had ours for 7 years. I'm not sure you'll ever get a rescue one.

Ours are outdoor cats and I think if I would be shelling out 600 for a cat I'd be mindful, as they are amazingly dosile and good for stealing. I'm looking at a Maine coon for next year and it's one of our concerns. I'd have a Savannah but I'd let it outside and it would eat nextdoors dog
Can’t you get a dog?

cats are rancid.
deleted11933
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS31/05/2020 11:28

Can’t you get a dog?cats are rancid.

2 of your last 6 deals were for air fresheners though so...
No such thing as a hypoallergenic cat. It's not even fur that causes the reaction. It's dead skin, saliva and urine that causes reactions.
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS31/05/2020 11:28

Can’t you get a dog?cats are rancid.

Actually it's owners that are rancid. You can keep a cat indoors without any mess or smell as long as it is well trained , well fed and you maintain the litter properly. We kept 2 bengals on a raw diet and they didn't smell of anything, it's the disgusting commercial feeds that make pets stink.
Post a comment
@
    Text