Groups
    EXPIRED

Getting a Costco membership?

Hey there folks. Ok, this is a slightly odd one, but Costco have the most delicious prawns in the world, from a company called "The Big Prawn Co". Costco is the only place I know that stock the tubs but the only person I know that has a card for it is always busy so cant ask him often.

I checked online and found a few people basically saying to take in the ~£27 membership fee along with a utility bill or proof of who you are, and they make you a member. I phoned up to ask for confirmation of this from Costco and said that was only the case for folk who work in the government sectors.

So, does anyone have any tips of any other ways to go around this? My manager wouldnt become a trade member for Costco so thats not an option.

16 Comments

why not get your friend to add you as an additional card holder. Cost is similar if not slightly cheaper than a normal membership and then you shop independently.

Original Poster

Person I know that has one is my Uncle, but he's got an addition card from his boss... Was under the impression only the boss of the registered membership could add more cards. And since I dont work from him theres no chance he'll get me added.

Have you been on the Costco website for clarification?
    You don't mention what the nature of your work is, so is a bit tricky to comment on membership.
    Here's a link to costco for more membership information costco.co.uk/Mem…htm

My husband works for Orange, that's how he's got his membership - and having me on as an additional cardholder is free. He originally had to take his Orange payslip and completed membership application form in with the fee, and bobs your uncle!

None of your other rellies would be able to join i suppose?!

Original Poster

Yeah I had a look on the website and doesnt seem I am eligible, although when searching on google for a bit it seemed like some were able to just join by just talking in with some proof of ID (driving licence...) and the membership fee.

I work for PCW which is not one of their "listed companies" they said on the phone. Ahh well, seems im outta luck on this one :-(

The best way is to ask your mate to get you a card. Here are the details: -

The cost of Trade membership is £20.00 per year (plus V.A.T) and includes a spouse card. Trade members may add up to an additional six cards at a cost of £12.00 each per year (plus V.A.T).

So it would only cost £12 plus vat

I wouln't bother you pay £25 per year only to find you need to buy a tonne of stuff, and it still works out more expensive than going to Morrisons, I've been with them for 3 years and I will not be renewing my membership with them, as I havn't saved any money in fact it has cost me £75 for nothing, you will be lucky to make the money you spend on the membership back, go with Makro instead they don't charge a membership fee, so long as you use the card once a year, and you get monthly offers and deals sent to your home, I think people join some wholesalers to show off, even though they don't save any money, even wines and spirits are cheaper in Morrisons.:?

They used to take 'Membership of the AA or RAC' as one of the things you could use. Call them and ask if thast still the same.

Good Luck

Of course you could simply 'create a nice letterhead' for your own company :-)

ukpbz;1415511

Of course you could simply 'create a nice letterhead' for your own … Of course you could simply 'create a nice letterhead' for your own company :-)

Don't thing it would work... You need two invoices as well.
    Can't remember what did they ask for when I got registered... I’ve got my ltd, so had no problems registering.
    My colleague from company I’m contracting for wanted a costco membership, so she agreed to pay my membership just to have a card.
    So I put her on application form as my spouse My girlfriend is still having a laugh of me as both of us went to meet my colleague and her friend to get her a card and pretend being a couple

ur mate can get as many extra cards as he want becz we have 3 cards in total and i think we pay sumthing like £21 each

walio;1415754

Don't thing it would work... You need two invoices as well. Can't … Don't thing it would work... You need two invoices as well. Can't remember what did they ask for when I got registered... I’ve got my ltd, so had no problems registering.My colleague from company I’m contracting for wanted a costco membership, so she agreed to pay my membership just to have a card. So I put her on application form as my spouse My girlfriend is still having a laugh of me as both of us went to meet my colleague and her friend to get her a card and pretend being a couple

Hi there,

I'm a contractor, I don't have a ltd company - I use an Umbrella to do all my PAYE and use recruitment to find jobs. Do you think i can get membership?

thanks

smokeMonkey;1416899

Hi there,I'm a contractor, I don't have a ltd company - I use an Umbrella … Hi there,I'm a contractor, I don't have a ltd company - I use an Umbrella to do all my PAYE and use recruitment to find jobs. Do you think i can get membership? thanks

I would check with company who is looking after your paperwork. Either it's Giant or other company, just give them a ring and ask.

Superhands;1415510

I wouln't bother you pay £25 per year only to find you need to buy a … I wouln't bother you pay £25 per year only to find you need to buy a tonne of stuff, and it still works out more expensive than going to Morrisons, I've been with them for 3 years and I will not be renewing my membership with them, as I havn't saved any money in fact it has cost me £75 for nothing, you will be lucky to make the money you spend on the membership back, go with Makro instead they don't charge a membership fee, so long as you use the card once a year, and you get monthly offers and deals sent to your home, I think people join some wholesalers to show off, even though they don't save any money, even wines and spirits are cheaper in Morrisons.:?

Load of pooooo, we dont buy tonne of stuff and manage to make it worth while paying the fee...

Obviously you have to be careful what you buy, we opted to bin our Makro account, if anything they are similar only the tend to carry a lot of poor quality products.

Costo send offers to you.....wines and spirts are generally cheaper mainstream...so yes if your only joining to buy your buckfast and polish tea....your right dont bother!

sorry to dig up an old thread but could someone who has costco/makro membership tell me what their prices on 32"-37" tv's are like as I understand you get free 3-5 year warranty with some of their tv's.

dunno if this helps, i became a member especially haha, but you can register online on the American site and use that card for that the stores in the UK seen as you can use anyone card worldwide.

strong bump is strong

Superhands;1415510

I wouln't bother you pay £25 per year only to find you need to buy a … I wouln't bother you pay £25 per year only to find you need to buy a tonne of stuff, and it still works out more expensive than going to Morrisons, I've been with them for 3 years and I will not be renewing my membership with them, as I havn't saved any money in fact it has cost me £75 for nothing, you will be lucky to make the money you spend on the membership back, go with Makro instead they don't charge a membership fee, so long as you use the card once a year, and you get monthly offers and deals sent to your home, I think people join some wholesalers to show off, even though they don't save any money, even wines and spirits are cheaper in Morrisons.:?

+1

makro have some good deals from time to time but many times its cheaper at the suppermarkets, years ago on each visit would never spent less than £500 not i would struggle to spend £50

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
    2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…22
    3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions