getting a dog , which are best ?

Banned 90
Found 16th Nov 2009
hi, i am after getting a pup, but dont know which would be best, i have 2 little girls aged 8 and 6, can anyone recommend a good family dog. dont want a big one though, a small or medium sized one.
thanks.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
90 Comments

hot dogs

we have a staffie... shes so sweet and kind natured, wonderful with the kiddies xxx

i dog share a lhaso apso, a big teddy bear with a super sweet disposition. (and doesn't need too much walking).

i have a newfoundland she is brilliant with kids but she is a large dog. the best though the kids love her too bits.

I'm sure everyone will have different recommendations, that's just the way it is with dogs - I like cocker spaniels, they're a good practical size and our one got on very well with us as kids.

John

ones with four legs

ClarityofMind;6908974

we have a staffie... shes so sweet and kind natured, wonderful with the … we have a staffie... shes so sweet and kind natured, wonderful with the kiddies xxx

Staffies are meant to be one of the best when it comes to their temperament in regards to children.

Labradors are ones to stay away from I have heard. (although I am sure people on here may say different)

Basset or black lab retriever :P

DJNG22;6909040

Staffies are meant to be one of the best when it comes to their … Staffies are meant to be one of the best when it comes to their temperament in regards to children.Labradors are ones to stay away from I have heard. (although I am sure people on here may say different)

Wow, that just goes to show how subjective this is. I would have said that was totally the other way round. It's all down to personal choice I suppose

don't do it,more trouble than kids ! We have a beagle, very hard work :whistling: Think loads about what you want from a dog, how long your going to leave it for duing the day, how often you want to hoover a day (doing it twice a day at the mo and i still get hair clumps forming and floating over the wooden floors!) ect.

Your dog has got breed profiles ect
yourdog.co.uk/Lis…tml

Good luck.
Ps i would leave it till summer as it's no fun taking a puppy out in the garden for 20mins or soo at 11pm in summer let alone winter

the ones with 4 legs are quite good

we have a boxer who is marvellous with my three year old daughter and 18 month old son .. they are best of mates

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/DogObedienceTraining.jpg

leilahfun;6909063

don't do it,more trouble than kids ! We have a beagle, very hard work … don't do it,more trouble than kids ! We have a beagle, very hard work :whistling: Think loads about what you want from a dog, how long your going to leave it for duing the day, how often you want to hoover a day (doing it twice a day at the mo and i still get hair clumps forming and floating over the wooden floors!) ect. Your dog has got breed profiles ecthttp://www.yourdog.co.uk/List-breeds/Dog-breed-profiles.htmlGood luck.Ps i would leave it till summer as it's no fun taking a puppy out in the garden for 20mins or soo at 11pm in summer let alone winter

yep completely with you on that we got our dog in october last year it was a complete nightmare and i had to spend £100 on putting fenceing round my grass in the back garden i could of killed her but thats me not thinking oh my cream carpet suffered lol.

got to agree boxers are great. other mays argue that pitbull terriers are more friendly, but thats the way it goes.

leilahfun;6909063

don't do it,more trouble than kids ! We have a beagle, very hard work … don't do it,more trouble than kids ! We have a beagle, very hard work :whistling: Think loads about what you want from a dog, how long your going to leave it for duing the day, how often you want to hoover a day (doing it twice a day at the mo and i still get hair clumps forming and floating over the wooden floors!) ect. Your dog has got breed profiles ecthttp://www.yourdog.co.uk/List-breeds/Dog-breed-profiles.htmlGood luck.Ps i would leave it till summer as it's no fun taking a puppy out in the garden for 20mins or soo at 11pm in summer let alone winter

Exactly my sis said never again,all the park trips in the winter,needing someone to dog sit etc if you go abroad,it's a big responsibility,vet bills etc etc

Hi

I think stafies are fab with kids, usually also find heinz 57 variety have better temperments than alot of pedigrees - please consider a visit to local dogs home as well - we have a staffy cross from our local one & he is a fab lil dog:-D

stephx

If you're thinking of getting a dog consider that:-

The dog will have needs.

Socially :-
He/she will want walking every day.
He/she will need company, love and affection.
Dogs don't like to be left on their own for too long.
He/she will need training, behaviourally and also to go outside to poopy!

Physically,
He/she needs those walks
Their teeth need careful looking after
They need bathing and grooming
Worming every few weeks
Injections every year
The dog will need its own "safe place" to retire to to sleep in whenever he/she wishes to relax away from the kids.
The dog will need to be neutered/spay.

If you ever go away on holiday consider...
Will the dog come with you?
If not who else will they stay with?
Will you need to kennel them? ( additional kennel cough protection needed )

Do you have enough space at home?
Do you have a garden?

The dog will cost money to buy ( for a set breed possibly about £600 to £800 pounds )
You'll need to buy food, medicine, insurance, comfortable bedding, toys etc.

Everyone will suggest different. One thing I would say, is it would be better to get one from a breeder at puppy stage rather than a dogs home because you dont know what they have been through before you get them and they could turn around and snap at the kids at some point (even though they may seem fine with kids now).

I am all for getting dogs from rescue centres if everyone in the house is of adult age, but not with kids

greyparrot;6909095

yep completely with you on that we got our dog in october last year it … yep completely with you on that we got our dog in october last year it was a complete nightmare and i had to spend £100 on putting fenceing round my grass in the back garden i could of killed her but thats me not thinking oh my cream carpet suffered lol.

yep we have a 100ft garden and have had to replace 70% of the pannels as they were a bit old so with a small bit of chewing and digging at the pannels and she was out and as quick as we blocked up a hole she made a new one :x.

The breed is irrelevant, every single post so far is naming a specific breed. Dogs are like humans, you get good and bad in all breeds. OP you need to your homework, seek out reputable breeders, don't take someones word on a forum about which is the right dog for you. We can all say our preference, but your could get the worlds worst so and so in that breed.

Go for a thorough bred Mongrel!

:-D

Always seemed to me to be more temperate than any pure breed dog we ever had! (preferably from a dog sanctuary too!

Good luck :thumbsup:

W1

I found this website really useful when looking for a pup. Tells you just about everything you need to know about the different breeds. Good luck:thumbsup:

pedigreesearch.co.uk/bre…asp

newfoundlands all the way anyone watched the original peterpan with nana the newfoundland.

Avoid ones that are bred as working breeds, such as collies, retrievers etc as they get bored very easily and can become destructive and aggressive. Saying that we have a GSD x Lab and he is so soft but protective of the kids.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/dogs/Harlz.jpg

Personally if going for a breed suited to kids it would have to be a staffie

harlzter;6909192

Avoid ones that are bred as working breeds, such as collies, retrievers … Avoid ones that are bred as working breeds, such as collies, retrievers etc as they get bored very easily and can become destructive and aggressive. Saying that we have a GSD x Lab and he is so soft but protective of the kids.Personally if going for a breed suited to kids it would have to be a staffie

awww he's gorgeous looka that fat tummy and those intelligent eyes xx

greyparrot;6909170

newfoundlands all the way anyone watched the original peterpan with nana … newfoundlands all the way anyone watched the original peterpan with nana the newfoundland.

lol i'm not sure they fall into the medium/ small category though If they didn't slobber i would love one.

harlzter;6909192

Avoid ones that are bred as working breeds, such as collies, retrievers … Avoid ones that are bred as working breeds, such as collies, retrievers etc as they get bored very easily and can become destructive and aggressive. Saying that we have a GSD x Lab and he is so soft but protective of the kids.Personally if going for a breed suited to kids it would have to be a staffie

well my dogs a working dog(water rescue) she hasnt a nasty bone in her body has never chewed anything and is a coach potatoe, each dog to there own really nothing to do with the breed.

Original Poster Banned

thanks all.:thumbsup:

Banned

golden retrievers all the way.

http://images01.olx.com/ui/2/14/67/19100767_1.jpg

guv;6909236

Awwww she/he is so fluffy!!!

guv;6909236

OMG its booooooooooooooooooooooooooootiful!!!! :oops:

leilahfun;6909202

lol i'm not sure they fall into the medium/ small category though If … lol i'm not sure they fall into the medium/ small category though If they didn't slobber i would love one.

lol its the males that slobber loads mine doesnt shes my baby.:)

Cute = trouble :whistling:

i have a jack russel and you wont get a softer dog than she is but i think the bast dog to get is a labrador but in the end it is about the way they are brought up

greyparrot;6909265

lol its the males that slobber loads mine doesnt shes my baby.:)

Its irrelevant of the sex, its to do with the jowels and excessine amount of saliva.

Lulu'sMammy;6909301

Its irrelevant of the sex, its to do with the jowels and excessine amount … Its irrelevant of the sex, its to do with the jowels and excessine amount of saliva.

yeah they just seem to have larger jowels my mums flicks his head and you wear it lol.

Someone i know has a Boxer and the slobber arghhh,the dog shakes it's head and you have to dive for cover,ok,i'm exaggerating but the slobber lands on the cream walls arghhh

deb8z;6909332

Someone i know has a Boxer and the slobber arghhh,the dog shakes it's … Someone i know has a Boxer and the slobber arghhh,the dog shakes it's head and you have to dive for cover,ok,i'm exaggerating but the slobber lands on the cream walls arghhh

what about the dog, does it slobber too?
Post a comment
@
    Text