Groups

getting a new kitten

am i mad? my cat sophie is not gonna be happy but hopefully in the long run she will love it fingers crossed

18 Comments

when i got a new kitten my old cat hated it but a few weeks later they fine. Its the same with most cats. Best just to leave them and eventually they will get on.

Nightmare;5957793

when i got a new kitten my old cat hated it but a few weeks later they … when i got a new kitten my old cat hated it but a few weeks later they fine. Its the same with most cats. Best just to leave them and eventually they will get on.

+1

I wouldn't force them to socailise, just let them find their own way of sharing the house.

good luck, it feels like ages ago my cats were kittens, I can remember how they used to run up the curtains across the pole and down the other side! lol

Our eldest two cats hated the third when we introduced her, but after few weeks they were fine, they started hating her when she had kittens though, so had to be kept seperate, but once the kittens were grown and their mum died the eldest two took the younger ones into their care and looked after them. cats adapt given space and time.

ps dont forget pics:)

Original Poster

well its coming from a friend of my mums so they know the score and if it dosnt work out they are gonna have it back just have to give it a try

Original Poster

kidcat;5957851

Our eldest two cats hated the third when we introduced her, but after few … Our eldest two cats hated the third when we introduced her, but after few weeks they were fine, they started hating her when she had kittens though, so had to be kept seperate, but once the kittens were grown and their mum died the eldest two took the younger ones into their care and looked after them. cats adapt given space and time. ps dont forget pics:)

think im picking her up sun so will post some up then she is ginger and white so gonna name her annie after the film

bellows;5957881

think im picking her up sun so will post some up then she is ginger and … think im picking her up sun so will post some up then she is ginger and white so gonna name her annie after the film

sounds lovely, give her time to settle and they will end up best of friends I am sure.

bellows;5957867

well its coming from a friend of my mums so they know the score and if it … well its coming from a friend of my mums so they know the score and if it dosnt work out they are gonna have it back just have to give it a try

dont give up right away though cause it will seem like the cats hate each other and will never get on but after a few weeks they will be quite close.

We have 5 cats, all under 5 years old. We had 2 adult cats at the beginning of the year, so decided to get another kitten but when we went to the Cats Protection they had two 8 month olds so we got them. I think because there were 2 of them, they stick together and the oldies stick together and basically ignored each other.

However, we had a stray bothering our cats so we took him to the Cats Protection and my OH fell in love with a pure white one they had, so we ended up with another cat!!

He is 2 years old and there was a lot of hissing and spitting for a couple of weeks, but now he realises he's at the bottom of the pecking order (we can tell this because he grooms all the other cats) they get on fine now.

We have found that introducing a kitten to a full grown cat is much easier than introducing another adult cat, so you should be fine with yours.

Good luck, and in a couple of weeks you will find the kitten has given your old cat a new lease of life!

Banned

I love cats, I have two and they get on really well, to start with they hissed at each other but they soon made friends, I think you get back what you put in with cats!!

i enjoy stroking pussy(cats):thumbsup::-D

Original Poster

thanks all for advice sorry late reply but just got back from work im so excited bout getting new kitten i do want to give it a good try but just worry as i live on my own and i have to work so they will be left alone for a bit just dont wont sophie to hurt annie

bellows;5961922

thanks all for advice sorry late reply but just got back from work im so … thanks all for advice sorry late reply but just got back from work im so excited bout getting new kitten i do want to give it a good try but just worry as i live on my own and i have to work so they will be left alone for a bit just dont wont sophie to hurt annie

You could put annie in a cage while you are at work, to make sure they dont fight. Alot of people keep kittens in cage when they first get them

Original Poster

kidcat;5961996

You could put annie in a cage while you are at work, to make sure they … You could put annie in a cage while you are at work, to make sure they dont fight. Alot of people keep kittens in cage when they first get them

im off sun then mon got a 7hr shift then tues got 6hr shift then got two days off so i think mon tue ill shut the hallway door and they have half a flat each then whilst im out hopefully by time got to do a 13hr shift fri they will be getting on ok

bellows;5962288

im off sun then mon got a 7hr shift then tues got 6hr shift then got two … im off sun then mon got a 7hr shift then tues got 6hr shift then got two days off so i think mon tue ill shut the hallway door and they have half a flat each then whilst im out hopefully by time got to do a 13hr shift fri they will be getting on ok

They will be fine eventually,

We have 2 cats (3 & 4 years old) and introduced a 6 month old. A lot of hissing and growling, so we decided to get a cage, that way they could hiss and growl all they liike but no contact could be made.

After a week, everything settled (apart from the oldest being a bit ignorant to it).

Original Poster

check out my other thread with pics of annie
    hotukdeals.com/ite…ten

KazzyD;5958310

He is 2 years old and there was a lot of hissing and spitting for a … He is 2 years old and there was a lot of hissing and spitting for a couple of weeks, but now he realises he's at the bottom of the pecking order (we can tell this because he grooms all the other cats) they get on fine now.

Strange - isn't it usually the dominant cat that does the grooming? Like when the mother grooms the kittens?

I have an older tom that just doesn't adapt to other cats. He doesn't fight them; fights neighbours' cats (and has plenty of scars from his battles) but tolerates other cats living in his house. But he won't have anything to do with them at all.

Years ago we had a queen, and introduced a kitten. That time, it was like everyone else has said - lots of growling and hissing and I despaired of them ever getting on. But I have pictures now of a huge furball from when they would sleep together - can't hardly make out which bit belongs to which cat!

Original Poster

Jazz;5972697

Years ago we had a queen, and introduced a kitten. That time, it was … Years ago we had a queen, and introduced a kitten. That time, it was like everyone else has said - lots of growling and hissing and I despaired of them ever getting on. But I have pictures now of a huge furball from when they would sleep together - can't hardly make out which bit belongs to which cat!

hope mine turn out like this
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764186
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?77

See more discussions