Getting a "new, sealed box" ebay phone insured.

Found 12th Jan
It's pretty much as simple as the title sounds. I'm looking to get a new phone (an S7 edge; also if any S7 edge owners or ex owners could chime in on how the phone is, let me know what you think) and most of the new listings have it listed as "new, sealed box" however most insurers I've seen require a receipt of some sort; the vendors of these seem to be selling old surplus stock so there may be no receipt.
If so, what do I do? Ask for an invoice? Or is insurance impossible?
Community Updates
AskPhones
10 Comments
You can't insure phones that are purchased from eBay
If it’s from a legitimate tax paying business they have to give you a receipt if you ask, and things like distance selling regulations apply like any other shop. However, if you are buying it from a personal seller, there is no such requirements. Why not email the vender first and ask, and check the details on the listing, a quick glance reveals most of those phones are coming from Hong Kong which may make it tough if you do have problems.
AmZa1 h, 1 m ago

You can't insure phones that are purchased from eBay

The third party insurance sites I've seen mention insuring phones bought from 'auction sites' (aka ebay), why mention it if it's simply impossible.
Dan_Monkfield-1050293204351 m ago

If it’s from a legitimate tax paying business they have to give you a r …If it’s from a legitimate tax paying business they have to give you a receipt if you ask, and things like distance selling regulations apply like any other shop. However, if you are buying it from a personal seller, there is no such requirements. Why not email the vender first and ask, and check the details on the listing, a quick glance reveals most of those phones are coming from Hong Kong which may make it tough if you do have problems.

First off, I'm really sorry about the double post. My posts are under review when I make them (probably as I've never used this site before) and therefore I can't simply edit a quote in. If the guy (or girl) who reviews said posts can make this and the previous post into one big post I'd be much obliged.

It wouldn't be a phone sent from HK or anywhere abroad. There's simply too much to go wrong, starting with large customs costs; sometimes the vendor labels the item as a sample or a gift, though I'm assuming that if VAT hasn't been paid there's zero chance of it being insured to begin with, so I'm sticking to UK only vendors.

Here's the requirement from one third party insurer referring to phones bought from auction sites:
"
  • purchased new from an auction site and have the original proof of purchase receipt showing the IMEI/serial number and make and model of your mobile phone."
diacetyl7 m ago

The third party insurance sites I've seen mention insuring phones bought …The third party insurance sites I've seen mention insuring phones bought from 'auction sites' (aka ebay), why mention it if it's simply impossible.

Why don't you email those companies and ask what the requirements are to insure a phone bought from eBay. They'll be able to advise you best.
diacetyl8 m ago

First off, I'm really sorry about the double post. My posts are under …First off, I'm really sorry about the double post. My posts are under review when I make them (probably as I've never used this site before) and therefore I can't simply edit a quote in. If the guy (or girl) who reviews said posts can make this and the previous post into one big post I'd be much obliged. It wouldn't be a phone sent from HK or anywhere abroad. There's simply too much to go wrong, starting with large customs costs; sometimes the vendor labels the item as a sample or a gift, though I'm assuming that if VAT hasn't been paid there's zero chance of it being insured to begin with, so I'm sticking to UK only vendors.Here's the requirement from one third party insurer referring to phones bought from auction sites:"purchased new from an auction site and have the original proof of purchase receipt showing the IMEI/serial number and make and model of your mobile phone."

If the person you are buying from is a legitimate uk based business, they would be the original retailer (using eBay as a storefront) so would be able to provide you a receipt (containing their business details) that would be the original proof of purchase, assuming you are using buy it now. If the seller is unwilling or unable to do this, I would be suspicious of them. Buying from Argos on eBay, Argos online or from an Argos shop, for example, gives you the same legal protection and each would provide you with an Argos receipt.
adhkarzf17 m ago

Why don't you email those companies and ask what the requirements are to …Why don't you email those companies and ask what the requirements are to insure a phone bought from eBay. They'll be able to advise you best.

I'll try to get in contact and see what their response is. At the same time I'll get in contact with the suppliers and ask whether or not the phone is eligible for third party insurance and if they can recommend an insurer.

So far my luck with phones has been:
-Get it insured - Phone is fine
-Don't get insurance - something breaks and is my fault

The only time it wasn't my fault and something broke was in the case of my xperia Z which had to be replaced twice. Water damage yet all the seals held; seemed that overheating caused melting of the glue on the back. The second time I asked for a replacement the insurance company (carphone warehouse; never again) was extremely rude and I had to fight for nearly a month to get the second replacement, despite still having to pay a £60 excess.
(Tangent warning)
I simply sold the replacement phone they gave me over gumtree and got a Z2 which worked for a while until one of the sealing flaps (over the USB port) broke off, the back eventually cracked and finally the USB port has started to fail meaning it is nearly impossible to charge. I'm using a friend's badly broken HTC one (2/3 of the screen won't work and the glass covering the screen and sensor is shattered but I can do most simple things using autorotate) and trying to keep the Z2 alive for ebanking (I've forgotten the 13 digit login number and need to phone up to get it, something which I suppose I should probably do...) but if I don't charge it carefully and right it ends up draining the battery rather than filling it.
Loved my s7 edge... But get a case for it.

The week after I got mine, case hadn't yet arrived and we went swimming. Getting changed again afterwards, my son passed me my jeans with the phone in the pocket. Phone slipped out, no more than a foot off the floor and cracked the back panel.

The front screen is equally fragile, as I discovered after a little trip to a brewery...

So yea. Get a case and screen protector fitted before you take it out of the house!
Op, your posts are probaby under review because you’ve use the word eBay in your heading or text. Some retailers are flagged for mods to look at before a thread can be posted. Not because this is your first question.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 13th Jan
miikeyblue13th Jan

Loved my s7 edge... But get a case for it.The week after I got mine, case …Loved my s7 edge... But get a case for it.The week after I got mine, case hadn't yet arrived and we went swimming. Getting changed again afterwards, my son passed me my jeans with the phone in the pocket. Phone slipped out, no more than a foot off the floor and cracked the back panel.The front screen is equally fragile, as I discovered after a little trip to a brewery...So yea. Get a case and screen protector fitted before you take it out of the house!

Yeah I've heard it's a slippery phone and I often drop mine. One thing I liked about the Xperiz Z2 was it took me to walk on the thing to crack the glass, on the back...
A case does sound like a good idea anyway; not that I've ever been much of a fan of them; I'll see if I can find something as minimalistic as possible that still offers decent protection, especially as I'll be sorting the insurance out on it post-buy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants