Groups

Getting a new SSD.

Hi all, have been running out of space on my 120gb Intel SSD and was going to buy a 240gb to add along side it.
    Should I get an M.2 SSD or just SATA? My board has an M.2 slot but is the performance any better as they normally cost a bit more.
    How would I go about transferring programs and/or my OS onto the new drive as well.
    Thanks.

4 Comments

I'm using Samsung 850 pro version SSD and it's good never had any problem, and Samsung included data migration software cd so you can transfer your OS, application and data one go, I never tried M.2 so I don't know about it.

M.2 will provide the same level of performance for SATA-based drives, whereas PCIe-based (with NVMe) M.2 drives will be faster, IF your motherboard actually supports PCIe M2 drives.

For most users, you won't notice much of a difference between a SATA drive and a PCIe & NVMe based drive, unless you run the kind of IOPS or throughput intensive loads like video editing, databases etc.

Unless you're in a rush, wait for a decent deal season and pick up a larger (or cheaper) drive. The Samsung Pro drives are great, but you're paying for extra peace of mind and some extra performance which you might not really need.

Original Poster

sergiup

M.2 will provide the same level of performance for SATA-based drives, … M.2 will provide the same level of performance for SATA-based drives, whereas PCIe-based (with NVMe) M.2 drives will be faster, IF your motherboard actually supports PCIe M2 drives.For most users, you won't notice much of a difference between a SATA drive and a PCIe & NVMe based drive, unless you run the kind of IOPS or throughput intensive loads like video editing, databases etc.Unless you're in a rush, wait for a decent deal season and pick up a larger (or cheaper) drive. The Samsung Pro drives are great, but you're paying for extra peace of mind and some extra performance which you might not really need.

​If I was to go for nvme would I need a pci card with an m.2 slot?

adamskiidu_44

​If I was to go for nvme would I need a pci card with an m.2 slot?

Depends - motherboards with M.2 slots support either SATA or PCIe based M.2 SSDs, and some of the newer motherboards support both types. In this case SATA and PCIe are the protocols, the M.2 slot itself is the same on the motherboards.

If you want a particular motherboard that doesn't support PCIe on its onboard M.2 slot, then you'd have to get a PCIe adapter card and you'd put the PCIe M.2 SSD on that.

Confusing, I know..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1315
      2. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?33
      3. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      4. Biscuit addiction1231

See more discussions