Getting a refund for an undelivered item from Eglobal central

Posted 4th Feb
I ordered a Xiaomi mobile phone from Eglobal central back in November and it still hasn't recieved it. The last time they contacted me they said:
"We have marked this order as a cancellation should the parcel be seized.
Please rest assure that this will be completed if the outcome is that your parcel is seized by customs or returned to sender.
However, we are unable to proceed until this inspection has been completed."
That was on the 23/12/19.
I have tried to contact them multiple times since with no reply about an update.
Is there anything i can do to get either the phone or the money back?
Thanks.
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

Top comments
Never pay them with a debit card.
Only a credit card or paypal.
RhysBurton04/02/2020 13:44

Debit card

Chargeback via card issuer (bank). Do that sooner rather than later as chareback eligibility lasts for 120days only.
21 Comments
What was payment method?
RhysBurton04/02/2020 13:44

Debit card

Chargeback via card issuer (bank). Do that sooner rather than later as chareback eligibility lasts for 120days only.
AndyRoyd04/02/2020 13:45

Chargeback via card issuer (bank). Do that sooner rather than later as …Chargeback via card issuer (bank). Do that sooner rather than later as chareback eligibility lasts for 120days only.

Okay It's been 88 days since original order so i'll try. Thank you
Never pay them with a debit card.
Only a credit card or paypal.
bigwheels04/02/2020 14:18

Never pay them with a debit card.Only a credit card or paypal.

This! Always credit card, or at the very very least PayPal.
I think we know how this ends......you'll get a tenner back!
m1keyp1key04/02/2020 14:31

I think we know how this ends......you'll get a tenner back!

Nah, the customer is told they will get a tenner back but the tenner doesn't arrive. Customer (promptly) claims via payment method and likely receives full refund. Customer wanders into sunset with a warm feeling of having found a way to bypass the merchant's t&c that were otherwise acceptable at point of sale.
MrSwitch04/02/2020 14:25

This! Always credit card, or at the very very least PayPal.

For clarity: direct payment to supplier by primary accountholder of credit card if single item over £100, direct payment to supplier for single item over £100 via "PayPal Credit". Anything else (including PayPal account) is wing and a prayer. Customer still retains option of simply not to buy if those two scenarios cannot be achieved.
AndyRoyd04/02/2020 15:15

For clarity: direct payment to supplier by primary accountholder of credit …For clarity: direct payment to supplier by primary accountholder of credit card if single item over £100, direct payment to supplier for single item over £100 via "PayPal Credit". Anything else (including PayPal account) is wing and a prayer. Customer still retains option of simply not to buy if those two scenarios cannot be achieved.

What he said 👆
Always pay by credit card if buying from china sites, incase of problems like this you are covered
iv ordered dozens of times from Gearbest, eGlobal, and Banggood.
Never had a problem except for a couple of long delays, but i always pay by credit card incase
Sandy101205/02/2020 09:50

Always pay by credit card if buying from china sites, incase of problems …Always pay by credit card if buying from china sites, incase of problems like this you are coverediv ordered dozens of times from Gearbest, eGlobal, and Banggood.Never had a problem except for a couple of long delays, but i always pay by credit card incase

CC has no benefit over any other possible chargeback options if any single item is under £100 (unless you have a non-statutory personal promo arrangement with your card issuer).
AndyRoyd04/02/2020 15:11

Nah, the customer is told they will get a tenner back but the tenner …Nah, the customer is told they will get a tenner back but the tenner doesn't arrive. Customer (promptly) claims via payment method and likely receives full refund. Customer wanders into sunset with a warm feeling of having found a way to bypass the merchant's t&c that were otherwise acceptable at point of sale.

Except any Ts&Cs that preclude refunds for goods that don't arrive are prima facie not acceptable at the point of sale, as they would override the buyer's statutory rights.
paul_merton05/02/2020 10:08

Except any Ts&Cs that preclude refunds for goods that don't arrive are …Except any Ts&Cs that preclude refunds for goods that don't arrive are prima facie not acceptable at the point of sale, as they would override the buyer's statutory rights.

Lol. Foreign merchant buddy; the local buyer has no statutory rights unless available in the merchant's country of registration, and assumes the buyer has the knowledge, finances and motivation to navigate foreign legal systems to enforce those rights.
AndyRoyd05/02/2020 10:16

Lol. Foreign merchant buddy; the local buyer has no statutory rights …Lol. Foreign merchant buddy; the local buyer has no statutory rights unless available in the merchant's country of registration, and assumes the buyer has the knowledge, finances and motivation to navigate foreign legal systems to enforce those rights.

It's Hong Kong, not the wild west! The buyer's statutory rights under their Sale of Goods Ordinance are not too dissimilar to those afforded by the Consumer Rights Act in the UK, and still cannot be overridden.
paul_merton05/02/2020 11:03

It's Hong Kong, not the wild west! The buyer's statutory rights under …It's Hong Kong, not the wild west! The buyer's statutory rights under their Sale of Goods Ordinance are not too dissimilar to those afforded by the Consumer Rights Act in the UK, and still cannot be overridden.

A company can do whatever it likes until slapped by its local legal system. You are likely the only person on this forum that would genuinely consider attempting to fund enforcement within an unfamilar foreign legal system; or simply deluded.
But positively: if you are familiar with the HK legal system there may be multiple members of this forum that would appreciate and likely pay for your knowledge and assistance.
AndyRoyd05/02/2020 11:34

A company can do whatever it likes until slapped by its local legal …A company can do whatever it likes until slapped by its local legal system. You are likely the only person on this forum that would genuinely consider attempting to fund enforcement within an unfamilar foreign legal system; or simply deluded.But positively: if you are familiar with the HK legal system there may be multiple members of this forum that would appreciate and likely pay for your knowledge and assistance.

No need to be rude! I haven't indicated I would try anything of the sort. I was merely backing up my claim that the Ts&Cs you suggested were acceptable to a buyer at the time of purchase literally cannot have been acceptable (i.e. it was not possible to accept them) if they overrode a statutory right.

It's not fair to blame a buyer for "bypassing" unacceptable Ts&Cs if they rely on a different mechanism to recover their funds.
Am I alone in beginning to run out of sympathy with those who know the potential pitfalls yet still take the risk? It's those who don't know any better I feel sorry for, that's why I think that all these Chinese sites should be banned from hukd. Meanwhile, hukd ban JL to protect the 'less savvy' shopper? Go figure.
Edited by: "deeky" 5th Feb
paul_merton05/02/2020 11:55

No need to be rude! I haven't indicated I would try anything of the sort. …No need to be rude! I haven't indicated I would try anything of the sort. I was merely backing up my claim that the Ts&Cs you suggested were acceptable to a buyer at the time of purchase literally cannot have been acceptable (i.e. it was not possible to accept them) if they overrode a statutory right.It's not fair to blame a buyer for "bypassing" unacceptable Ts&Cs if they rely on a different mechanism to recover their funds.

Our interpretation of reality may be different. It is farcical to attempt to suggest it is realistic to apply local consumer expectations to foreign merchants.
Peeps often choose not to read merchant's t&c but still accept them, and then appear bewildered when a t&c is applied. Only the wreckless would suggest it is not prudent to review a merchant's t&c (local or foreign) prior to purchase and if there are any items that are not "fair" / disadvantaging / unenforceable the buyer then has the option to seek and confirm alternative protection routes prior to choosing to purchase. That last phrase is worthy of repeating: prior to choosing to purchase.
deeky05/02/2020 12:01

Am I alone in beginning to run out of sympathy with those who know the …Am I alone in beginning to run out of sympathy with those who know the potential pitfalls yet still take the risk? It's those who don't know any better I feel sorry for, that's why I think that all these Chinese sites should be banned from hukd. Meanwhile, hukd ban JL to protect the 'less savvy' shopper? Go figure.

In context: the JL suspension is due to self-promo unrelated to protecting the "less savvy" shopper. However the Wazda suspension may be to protect the less savvy shopper, but HUKD actively declines to state the actual reason for Wazda sus.
AndyRoyd05/02/2020 15:41

In context: the JL suspension is due to self-promo unrelated to protecting …In context: the JL suspension is due to self-promo unrelated to protecting the "less savvy" shopper. However the Wazda suspension may be to protect the less savvy shopper, but HUKD actively declines to state the actual reason for Wazda sus.

I know what you are saying but planty's response to my suggestion that members were capable of deciding if a 'self promoted' deal was any good or not was 'Of course we appreciate others may have different opinions to us, but we can see the full picture of self promotion and have insight into how and why companies do it. We also have to think about all users, including the millions of casual, non-member users who tend to do less research so could be caught out.'

hotukdeals.com/dis…e=8
Edited by: "deeky" 5th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants