Expired

getting a refund from a seller on Shpock as I didn't receive the item!

LocalFound 30th Mar 2016
Hi, just wondered if anyone could share their opinions on where I stand....
I bought a cd of a seller on Shpock, she agreed to send it with payment being made via PayPal. Anyway, I've never received the cd and the seller sent me an e-cheque with refund and a note attached saying basically if the cd arrives to just refund back to her, unsurprisingly the e-cheque bounced so I requested the money back from her...again she never refunded me. She won't answer any messages from me or Shpock team (reported her to them but they're useless,told me to report to police) so I'm unsure where to go from here??? Contact PayPal?? Will PayPal do anything as I bought from Shpock not Ebay???

Any advise would be helpful. Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
41 Comments
How did you pay via paypal, friends & family or goods?
If you paid via goods then PayPal will help you. Unfortunately if sent via friends & family, I'm afraid you will have lost your money. Paid via both methods in the past and basically learnt the saying "you win some, you lose some"
isnt shpock like gumtree and meant for face to face purchases?
You should NEVER use Paypal for anything bought or sold in person its pretty simple really.
But you might be lucky, see this from shpocks website

Shpock

'The buyer enjoys special protection in case he should not receive the item from the seller'

I don't believe this is actually true, paypal does not automatically protect you from everything, but if they advise on the website that they do, then you have grounds for a refund if not from paypal, but from shpock themselves.
emodan

isnt shpock like gumtree and meant for face to face purchases?

Exactly only face to face cash only ,NEVER send money on either site.
Same happened to my wife, claimed if was despatched but never arrived, then seller stopped replying.

Was only a few quid but it was the principle more than anything. She eventually found the seller on Facebook, sent a few messages on there, and then her refund arrived... I realise she was quite lucky to get a result though.

Hope you've not lost too much.
I'm not sure if it was friends and family or goods? Anyone know how to check? It wasn't a great deal of money but it's that's besides the point, if she's done it a couple of times to different people then she's on to a good little fraudulent earner! I just assumed that because I was paying through PayPal it was all "kosher" so to speak.
I have tried to google this person as her last name is on her email address she sent me but unfortunately I can't find anything linked to her. I don't have Facebook so I can't find her on there.
Shpock advised me to contact the police but I think I'd just get laughed out of the station! Not really a route I want to go down really.
I realise now I've been a bit daft! As my hubby says... Don't trust anyone!
if it was goods PayPal will have deducted a fee. not sure but u might be able to see in the transaction details. there would probably also be an option to lodge a claim. I'd probably msg the seller telling them u have been advised to report it to police and offer them 1 last chance to refund via PayPal within 3 days. they might react to that.
I am very surprised at the lack of knowledge shown by some of the previous responses. Paypal is a worldwide financial organisation that arranges payment to any business or person. It is not specifically tied to any selling website. Although I am a new user of Shpock I quickly saw that it specifically says when posting use Paypal or similar and send by tracked mail.
Hello, the same thing has literally just happened to me (Yesterday), however, I done a bank transfer as this is what the person suggested was best. So I have sent the money, he said he was going to sent out the package when I sent the money, which yeah fair enough, I would be the same just in case they had no intention in paying... So, I've sent the money and I call him and he says he's received it and he is going to post the item within the next half an hour. However, now he is not returning my calls or texts!! I was wondering if anyone knew how I could go about getting my money back and reporting this person!
I have had the same problem but I have lost £180 and nothing to show for it Shpock only put a stop on his account but that isn't getting me my money back and don't know how to get in touch with Shpock direct does anyone?
Gloworm

I have had the same problem but I have lost £180 and nothing to show for … I have had the same problem but I have lost £180 and nothing to show for it Shpock only put a stop on his account but that isn't getting me my money back and don't know how to get in touch with Shpock direct does anyone?

Hi, sorry to hear you've had the same problem. Shpock basically did nothing really, they just messaged the seller and asked them to "sort it out between us" by replying to my messages (she didn't). Then they advised me to contact police, they weren't really fussed in my opinion. I contacted them via email which you can find (not that easily) on your shpock account. Be warned...they do take forever to reply, so don't expect anything soon. In my opinion I would keep at them because you've lost a hell of a lot of money compared to me. Have you tried to message the seller personally??
my partner purchased an i phone 7 on schpock only for the item not to arrive paid through paypal friends so thats £375 lost so i thought i would get her one bought one off schpock again £350 paid by bank transfer and now that hasn't arrived i really can't believe it i am devastated just before xmas as well this app is very dangerous and full off scammers i feel so stupid for doing this but thought schpock was safe now in the hands of the police but i am not holding out for any good news
Oh no...thats a lot of money, as you say just before Xmas too
I really think shpock needs to do something more to help buyers be protected from things like this. I tried emailing shpock numerous times to solve my problem I had with a seller but they really aren't bothered...I'm glad to hear you have the police involved and hopefully they can help you...fingers crossed
guardsvinnie

my partner purchased an i phone 7 on schpock only for the item not to … my partner purchased an i phone 7 on schpock only for the item not to arrive paid through paypal friends so thats £375 lost so i thought i would get her one bought one off schpock again £350 paid by bank transfer and now that hasn't arrived i really can't believe it i am devastated just before xmas as well this app is very dangerous and full off scammers i feel so stupid for doing this but thought schpock was safe now in the hands of the police but i am not holding out for any good news

i think its your own fault believing you can buy iphone 7 for half the retail price.
I have just been scammed by a seller called Paula M on Shpock for an apple watch. Paid 200 for it paid by paypal she said she would send it rec delivery. Asked her 1st if she sent it, she replied yes. So then asked her for the Tracking Number through reported shpock. She sent one to me. I checked it and it had been deliveried to the same postcode as hers and signed by someone called Pointon! Found different accounts with her? Selling same stuff. Straight after I paid her, she re listed it. I questioned her as my name never came up as sold. She said she had others to sell. Alarm bells rang. So far shpock has just froze her account. I've had a lot of abuse from her since. There is someway they send you messages, delete before it comes through to you, as all of a sudden I have messages on the date I paid for it turn up on my page and now stating sold! And certain messages deleted. I've been called allsorts incl being a **** from her. I have reported her on one of her other accounts selling same stuff too. Which is in progress this moment in time. Been told to report to police by Shpock. Shpock seriously need to sort out the "grey" areas on their site. I am utterly devastated being caught out. Thought I was very careful when buying on internet. Tried finding her/ him? On face book but to no joy.
I have been scammed by seller Cial Wood and Claire Rushton from Lancashire. Cial W. did the transaction and Claire Roche/Rushton roche.c@hotmail.co.uk.(beware to these people) where I sent the money to.Before we went away on holiday, I bought gopro 5 from Cial Wood. I paid £190 thru PayPal as friends and family, After I sent the money she promised me to send the gopro5 first thing in the morning, followed up in the evening for the tracking # but she came out with **** reason. 2nd day she said she's in the queue and trying to get hold of DPD for the tracking #, and 3rd day tried messaging her again but she never replied, phoned the PayPal to report it but unfortunately they can't do nothing about this. I reported to Shpock and they only restricted her account and advised me to report to the police with their letter of support. I tried messaging these 2 scammers on Facebook they called Cial Wood from Lancashire and Claire Rushton from Manchester but they just ignored me and eventually blocked me.
Since then I never used SHPOCK again, This is a big scammer website. I'd rather buy on ebay or amazon because they protect their customers.
Am sorry to hear about all the scams.

I use Shpock and Gumtree to buy and sell. There is one rule that I NEVER break and that is CASH on COLLECTION.

The buyer turns up, checks the item I am selling and pays cash. The same goes for me. If the item I wish to buy is too far away and I am not willing to travel, then it is simple, I do not buy. I never pay using BT or Paypal.

It is a good rule to use when buying and selling and to this date I have never been scammed using this method.

I do hope all of you get your money back and these scrupulous scammers get what they deserve.

The rule is don't buy things through Gumtree shpock etc unless meeting in person which is what the sites/app was originally intended for. For distance buying use Ebay as they have protection. The Shpock website makes no reference to buying remotely and even has advice on their FAQ of how to use their service:

“Find great local deals”
Q: What can I do on Shpock?

Shpock works like your favourite boot sale – just easier. You can create your listing quickly by taking a picture, writing a title, a short description and setting a price. Voila! Now, Shpock users can see your listing, ask you questions, and make you a private offer. To speed up sales, you can share your listing via Facebook, Twitter, SMS or E-mail with your loved ones.
Did you find an item you want? Great, because with Shpock, it's quite simple to negotiate and agree upon a price, and where and when to pick-up/drop-off the item.

“Shipping and payment – easy and secure”
Q: Secure payment even when shipping?
If you do not meet in person to hand over the product, but arrange to ship it, here are some tips regarding payment and delivery:
Pay on delivery: With this payment method, e.g. available at UPS, the goods will only be handed over to the buyer when paying the agreed price to the delivery man.
PayPal: The whole payment process will be performed via your PayPal account. The money will be debited from the buyer's credit card/bank account and will be credited to the seller. Then the seller will ship the item to you. Clear advantages: The seller benefits from fast payment. The buyer enjoys special protection in case he should not receive the item from the seller. For more information on the PayPal buyer protection click here.
Important note: Every PayPal account has to be assigned to a unique and active E-mail account. Are you planning to handle your next sale/purchase via PayPal? Please make sure the PayPal account belongs to the user you are talking to. Please be cautious when the partner you are trading with insists on using the PayPal of a third party.
We also strongly advise to refrain from using the Friends & Family service. This way the deal can be followed up with more security for both users.

Edited by: "emodan" 22nd Dec 2016
I paid for a laptop in the halifax bank account of the user and Item is not arriving and no answer on phone
Shpock are useless it seems. I have just reported them to watchdog (bbc) and urge anyone else who has been unlucky enough to have been scammed by a seller, and have or haven't wasted police time with it to do the same. Shpock have ignored me for over a month, bar a facebook message which was full of 'alternative facts' I have no other choice.
I purchased 2 iPads on Shpock, cash in person (as suggested by the site) and it turns out the iPads were stolen. Not only that the seller had deleted himself and the transaction completely almost immediately from website. Shpock had no idea how that was possible, but later through facebook claimed they removed it to protect other users from this seller (magically before I had reported a problem) and told me to go to the police. Now I did that, but as items aren't mine to register stolen, (but through my own investigation I had, but had I not then the police would have been irrelevant), and I have no proof (thanks to Shpock) as to how they had been purchased.
Buyers are vulnerable on this website, eBay protects its buyers, and gumtree does not require the profile to get in contact with someone - Shpock claim it is nothing to do with them and have no involvement in purchases. But they do, as its a user registered system and not just publicly/ locally advertising something.
Facebook support claims they won't help because the support team is, but the support team have ignored my daily emails since the 15th December. I don't think they should be allowed to knowingly ignore a problem that has left me financially down, stressed and with two stolen iPads reported to the police, and the seller has all my personal information. I would advise anyone to avoid Shpock. Who sells on this platform when there is better protection for buyers elsewhere?
Please report problems to watchdog - don't let Shpock keep doing this.
The stupidity of our species will never cease to shock and depress me...
nestrodamus1

Shpock are useless it seems. I have just reported them to watchdog (bbc) … Shpock are useless it seems. I have just reported them to watchdog (bbc) and urge anyone else who has been unlucky enough to have been scammed by a seller, and have or haven't wasted police time with it to do the same. Shpock have ignored me for over a month, bar a facebook message which was full of 'alternative facts' I have no other choice.I purchased 2 iPads on Shpock, cash in person (as suggested by the site) and it turns out the iPads were stolen. Not only that the seller had deleted himself and the transaction completely almost immediately from website. Shpock had no idea how that was possible, but later through facebook claimed they removed it to protect other users from this seller (magically before I had reported a problem) and told me to go to the police. Now I did that, but as items aren't mine to register stolen, (but through my own investigation I had, but had I not then the police would have been irrelevant), and I have no proof (thanks to Shpock) as to how they had been purchased. Buyers are vulnerable on this website, eBay protects its buyers, and gumtree does not require the profile to get in contact with someone - Shpock claim it is nothing to do with them and have no involvement in purchases. But they do, as its a user registered system and not just publicly/ locally advertising something.Facebook support claims they won't help because the support team is, but the support team have ignored my daily emails since the 15th December. I don't think they should be allowed to knowingly ignore a problem that has left me financially down, stressed and with two stolen iPads reported to the police, and the seller has all my personal information. I would advise anyone to avoid Shpock. Who sells on this platform when there is better protection for buyers elsewhere?Please report problems to watchdog - don't let Shpock keep doing this.

Shpock have absolutely nothing to do with the fact you were daft enough to get mugged off so badly...
You chose to do everything that you did, entirely of your own volition.
Pepper1979

I have been scammed by seller Cial Wood and Claire Rushton from … I have been scammed by seller Cial Wood and Claire Rushton from Lancashire. Cial W. did the transaction and Claire Roche/Rushton roche.c@hotmail.co.uk.(beware to these people) where I sent the money to.Before we went away on holiday, I bought gopro 5 from Cial Wood. I paid £190 thru PayPal as friends and family, After I sent the money she promised me to send the gopro5 first thing in the morning, followed up in the evening for the tracking # but she came out with **** reason. 2nd day she said she's in the queue and trying to get hold of DPD for the tracking #, and 3rd day tried messaging her again but she never replied, phoned the PayPal to report it but unfortunately they can't do nothing about this. I reported to Shpock and they only restricted her account and advised me to report to the police with their letter of support. I tried messaging these 2 scammers on Facebook they called Cial Wood from Lancashire and Claire Rushton from Manchester but they just ignored me and eventually blocked me.Since then I never used SHPOCK again, This is a big scammer website. I'd rather buy on ebay or amazon because they protect their customers.

I quote "I paid £190 thru PayPal as friends and family" - clearly they aren't your friends or family so why did you pay via this method? If you had followed Paypal guidelines correctly and paid for them as 'goods' you would have had some form of protection.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 25th Jan 2017
Gidz

I paid for a laptop in the halifax bank account of the user and Item is … I paid for a laptop in the halifax bank account of the user and Item is not arriving and no answer on phone

I'll sell you a replacement for £150!
Do the same thing to my bank account and I'll post it to you!
Erubadhron

Shpock have absolutely nothing to do with the fact you were daft enough … Shpock have absolutely nothing to do with the fact you were daft enough to get mugged off so badly...You chose to do everything that you did, entirely of your own volition.

clearly shpock are responsible for being an outlet for stolen goods, without following any form of procedure to ensure the seller is stopped without the police. Police time and how it is allocated has a great impact on us all, and should not be used as a customer resolution center, You are indeed correct in the stupidity of some people, especially those so public in being so useless.
nestrodamus1

clearly shpock are responsible for being an outlet for stolen goods, … clearly shpock are responsible for being an outlet for stolen goods, without following any form of procedure to ensure the seller is stopped without the police. Police time and how it is allocated has a great impact on us all, and should not be used as a customer resolution center, You are indeed correct in the stupidity of some people, especially those so public in being so useless.

Except... Shpock are not an outlet.

If you buy a nicked phone in a pub, is the landlord responsible?
why would you ever send money to someone on shpock ?
its clearly set up for face to face deals in person
any one selling flagship phones / laptops etc for less than anyone else would have no trouble selling locally face to face
why would they need to sale them online ???
mattmerch

why would you ever send money to someone on shpock ? its clearly set up … why would you ever send money to someone on shpock ? its clearly set up for face to face deals in personany one selling flagship phones / laptops etc for less than anyone else would have no trouble selling locally face to face why would they need to sale them online ???

Because these people are gullible to the point of stupidity, and too ignorant to accept the liability for their own actions.
It's obviously the fault of the website that hosts the adverts...
Daftfool666

But you might be lucky, see this from shpocks websiteShpock'The buyer … But you might be lucky, see this from shpocks websiteShpock'The buyer enjoys special protection in case he should not receive the item from the seller'I don't believe this is actually true, paypal does not automatically protect you from everything, but if they advise on the website that they do, then you have grounds for a refund if not from paypal, but from shpock themselves.

I've purchased some t shirts from a sal z and paid by bank transfer and and month later still no t shirts and she's disappeared. I've tried her to Schpock and waiting for a reply.
Waynenotman...i really wouldn't hold out much hope from Shpock, they're cr*p when it comes to reporting issues with sellers. I had another bad experience with a buyer. Long story cut short- Someone bought books from me and asked me to post, so I did via courier, I made sure I paid little extra for signature so id know if it arrived, anyway 3 MONTHS LATER the buyer contacted me saying she hadn't received them...Courier tracking told me they were signed for on delivery...so she was telling porkies in my eyes! I contacted Shpock and they put a ban on MY account! I have now had it lifted as I kept smiling Shpock telling them how terrible their service is!
I don't have Facebook but someone suggested to me to try and find seller on there if you can. Hope you get better help from Shpock than I did.
*kept emailing Shpock (supposed to say)
I've done 3 bank transfers two went a bit wrong but I got my money in the end ( this was with high rated sellers ) . I wouldn't recommend bank transfers even with high rated people but sometimes it might be worth the risk. I've done possibly 50 pay pal deals goods and services a few of them were scammers or people trying it on but I always got my money back by following PayPal rules exactly. Schpock basically restrict accounts which isn't much it seems but if they have spent ages getting ratings it can sort things out. Almost always buy from high rated sellers except meet ups. And always trust your your instincts...if it doesn't sound right it probably isn't! And prob them...if they are legit they will answer any reasonable questions .
Gloworm

I have had the same problem but I have lost £180 and nothing to show for … I have had the same problem but I have lost £180 and nothing to show for it Shpock only put a stop on his account but that isn't getting me my money back and don't know how to get in touch with Shpock direct does anyone?

Call them on 20 80 80 6578 Mo - Fr from 8:00AM – 04:00PM it's on Google - I did
Hi. I just bought a perfume from a seller,through paypal. I thought its genuine, but when i opened it(it was sealed),definitely not! I even took it to the perfume shop,to compare with the original one!
I emailed the seller through paypal,but during this paypal closed my account( i had 2 more claim on my account in the last 6 months, because of the number of fake items on Shpock).
So the seller told me she will refund me if i send it back sealed condition. Since then she is not answering for any email.
I reported her for the Shpock too.
I never knew sellers can sell so many fake items....
I have also lost 900 SEK. I am living in Gothenburg/Sweden. I have bought an amplifier from a user name is Dan M.
He never send me the item. He even nit replying any more. I have reported ro Shpock, they just giving advices to the sender! Anyway even for one cent, I will go to the police, this is not only a matter of money.
People who advices to be more careful, I disagree, trusting people not wrong. There must be better laws fir online shopping, that's the only way. Creating an app is easy, but it also need to bego safe enough.
I agreed to buy a Ford Focus from Sally.G and sent £4500 via bank transfer over 5 weeks ago but she has still not delivered the car as promised and won't respond to my emails and the number she gave is not recognised. I really need this car for work. Shpock have been absolutely useless.
Jollybee

I agreed to buy a Ford Focus from Sally.G and sent £4500 via bank … I agreed to buy a Ford Focus from Sally.G and sent £4500 via bank transfer over 5 weeks ago but she has still not delivered the car as promised and won't respond to my emails and the number she gave is not recognised. I really need this car for work. Shpock have been absolutely useless.

Wow! That's a lot of money to lose out on! Shpock were absolutely useless when it came to my complaint and it seems other people are agreeing! Shpock aren't intrested in complaints...it's disgusting! As for you trying to find the seller, I would turn detective... Try and look on the map on her shpock account and narrow her down to area/town (sometimes it shows you a road) and try and find her on Facebook/social media and do whatever you want if you find her. I don't have Facebook or anything like that but I was told to try that, obviously I didn't as I didn't want to create a social media account. I only lost out on £5 but at the end of the day, these people are blatantly frauding people and NOTHING is being done. You could try searching for the registration number through DVLA or ringing them and try getting an address. Failing that you finding you could always contact the police. Good luck & keep us posted!
I to have just been scammed up on sphock, it was only for £35.00 but that is not the point it's the principal.I paid via bank transfer last week.Seller said they had posted it 1st class when I specifically asked and paid for it to be sent recorded.Anyhow the moment I paid her & she msg to say she had sent but never sent recorded delivery I smelt can rat.Anyway after continuously going back & forth with her she suddenly claimed she did infact send it recorded delivery,so she gives me this tracking number which turns out invalid on royal mail website.Then she deletes the item off her page and blocks my account.I spoke to sphock who unblocked me and they sent her a msg asking her to communicate and work out a solution & told me her account was now restricted from selling on until the issue is sorted out.Anyhow today I'm up on sphock again and notice that she has opened another account.Now I thought once they restricted your account they block your IP address obviously not.So tomorrow I Will be contacting sphock again to ask how is she still able to open another account.Thst website needs better protection for buyers and should only allow payment via PayPal or cash in hand.I also will be contacting my bank to see if they can help in anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants