Getting a vehicle that has a SORN to an MOT garage

Found 19th Jan 2016
I have been offered a car that is 200 miles from me that has been off the road with a Sorn since September last year and has no current MOT.

Am I right in thinking if I book an MOT local to me beforehand, I can drive the car back the 200 miles to me to get it done?

I have fully comprehensive insurance for my current car. Do I need to inform my insurance company that I would be driving this SORN car for this journey
Community Updates
AskMOT
27 Comments
tax it online when u collect it. ur good to go
Yes you can drive to and from the pre-booked MOT. They don't mention distance but hey.

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification/overview

Insurance company can be updated as a matter of courtesy.
jonnybravo99

tax it online when u collect it. ur good to go

No MOT == No Tax Renewal.
I've never done it that far away from home but I don't see why you can't as long as the MOT is pre booked and they have your name and reg in the off chance you get stopped.

I've been stopped before going to an MOT with no tax or MOT the police just phoned the MOT station and checked but then let me on my way.
numb3r9

No MOT == No Tax Renewal.

​yip, good point.....
your insurance will not cover that car as it has to be insured it's self by someone for your insurance policy to cover you to drive it (it was on one of the police tv shows), it's a little know law
You won't be able to tax it until it's got an mot so it'd have to go on a trailer, Also your insurance would most probably be invalid plus on another note are you certain it's safe? Ok an MOT doesn't mean it's safe but does give you a bit of reassurance and a death trap is unlikely to pass an MOT. You would probably be best off finding a garage local to the car and have them tow it for the MOT.
I agree with what shauneco is saying. Better book a MOT with a garage that is local that can do it while you wait. Don't really think having it towed there is necessary. As others have said driving to a MOT testing station is an exemption. Besides, if you're not confident that its going to pass the MOT and its safe to drive - do you really want to buy it?
I always thought the Mot had to be booked at the nearest mot station. I very much doubt the police would accept it being 200 miles away.
dimzad20

your insurance will not cover that car as it has to be insured it's self … your insurance will not cover that car as it has to be insured it's self by someone for your insurance policy to cover you to drive it (it was on one of the police tv shows), it's a little know law

​very true, your driving of other cars extension does not extend to another car you have a financial interest in ... ie another one you own or one your spouse owns
Spoke to my insurance company. I just need to transfer the insurance cover from my current car to the new one, it is actually £64 cheaper than my current car

I know what needs repairing on my brothers car, but not what it, may or may not fail on when it has the MOT (then again my current car is due an MOT next week and I have no idea at the moment what it would or would fail on also)? But it wouldn't stop me driving 200 miles in it tomorrow

The work that needs doing on the replacement car will cost £500 but as parts and labour are included, if their are any further problems with the MOT, then hopefully the costs may be reduced as labour is already being paid to rectify the the known problems already iyswim.

Can't see anything in the rules that say an MOT station has to be within a certain distance if the vehicle is under a SORN, so hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully on the right path now, regarding insurance and transfer of ownership of vehicle beforehand for a SORN vehicle to get to an MOT garage

Edited by: "sotv" 19th Jan 2016
wait until the 1st to get it taxed though.
when you discussed the transfer with your isurance company did you tell them you plan to drive to an MOT station without a current MOT?

Normally your insurance is invalid if you do not have a current MOT on the car

EliTom
elitom

when you discussed the transfer with your isurance company did you tell … when you discussed the transfer with your isurance company did you tell them you plan to drive to an MOT station without a current MOT?Normally your insurance is invalid if you do not have a current MOT on the carEliTom

I did, they said so long as I was the registered owner (had the logbook and form ownership transferred), I can drive the vehicle with a SORN to an MOT station and I would be insured (fully comp)
I would not drive a car 200 miles if it had dodgy tyres or dodgy brakes or dodgy lights or dodgy steering . By "dodgy" I me4an what a qualified MOT inspector would find dodgy.
sotv

I did, they said so long as I was the registered owner (had the logbook … I did, they said so long as I was the registered owner (had the logbook and form ownership transferred), I can drive the vehicle with a SORN to an MOT station and I would be insured (fully comp)

I would ask for that in writing or find if the terms of insurance will cover you, If something should happen involving insurance they may try and wiggle out of their responsibilities or may only cover third parties, Insurance is sketchy most of the time. Surely you could give your brother money for an MOT pass or fail.
You cant tax it, so cant drive it on the road!!
There is no ifs or buts, as soon as you go past an ANPR camera you will get pulled & most likely get points & the car seized.
amis1975

You cant tax it, so cant drive it on the road!!There is no ifs or buts, … You cant tax it, so cant drive it on the road!!There is no ifs or buts, as soon as you go past an ANPR camera you will get pulled & most likely get points & the car seized.

Thats just plain incorrect information...........

If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances.

The law makes no mention as to how far you can go but we would suggest that the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc. Additionally:

if you call in at shops etc. on your way to the MOT, it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won't apply;
the further you travel the more likelihood there is of your vehicle triggering an ANPR camera and you being stopped.

From what I understand, although not actual "law", you should take a SORN'd car to the nearest MOT station (or one of within reason).

Driving 200 miles is taking the pee & I would expect you to be penalised if stopped. I would expect the police to say you should have put it on a flat bed lorry if you tell them you have just bought the SORN car & taking it home for an MOT.
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 19th Jan 2016
ChrisUK

From what I understand, although not actual "law", you should take a … From what I understand, although not actual "law", you should take a SORN'd car to the nearest MOT station (or one of within reason).Driving 200 miles is taking the pee & I would expect you to be penalised if stopped. I would expect the police to say you should have put it on a flat bed lorry if you tell them you have just bought the SORN car & taking it home for an MOT.

Yeah otherwise the garages all over the Country would be inundated with random phony appointments lol.
prebook the MOT appointment & make sure you have insurance for the car you are taking to the MOT..

Job done. Simples
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 19th Jan 2016
For a **** of mind and safety why not get it on a tow truck or recovery
You can drive a reasonable distance to a mot station , not nessasary the closest one
200 miles is not a reasonable distance
I'd ring around and have the car collected on a trailer or truck tbh
Booking for test requires you to give name adress and reg num. it covers you for no tax and no mot but you must insure car. You must drive straight to test centre and vehicle must be pre booked. It would need to be the same day as if not you would be driving home first and your not allowed any stops. Theres no limit on distance but not sure how far id push that
I had SORN my car last October .My MOT was due to run out on 16 April 16. I was going away on holiday so wanted to MOT my car before I went. (The car is soft to sports car and only used in the summer).So I pre book an MOT, drove to the MOT station the car passes, I drove home , put car back in garage intending to tax the car on my return from holiday . I return 3 week later to a fine for £235.If I had left the MOT until I returned from Holiday and drove without am MOT to the garage I would not have been fined. This is ludicrous
101tech

I had SORN my car last October .My MOT was due to run out on 16 April 16. … I had SORN my car last October .My MOT was due to run out on 16 April 16. I was going away on holiday so wanted to MOT my car before I went. (The car is soft to sports car and only used in the summer).So I pre book an MOT, drove to the MOT station the car passes, I drove home , put car back in garage intending to tax the car on my return from holiday . I return 3 week later to a fine for £235.If I had left the MOT until I returned from Holiday and drove without am MOT to the garage I would not have been fined. This is ludicrous

why not appeal then if you are certain it is wrong? i agree with that you shouldn't be fined as you were only driving to and from a prebooked MOT test.

were you insured?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions