Groups

Getting about in London advice needed...

Thinking of driving to London (from the West Midlands) on Wednesday morning and going to the National History Musuem (amongst maybe other things). When going to London before I usually drive down the M40 to Ruislip and catch the tube. I see the NHM is on the Piccadilly line so this will be ideal to hop on from Ruislip.

What are the best tickets to get for 2 adults and 3 children, I think Ruislip is in zone 6. I can't seem to find any family tickets. Is there such a thing as a family one day ticket.

Any advice or tips greatly recieved.

15 Comments

There isn't a family ticket, you can get a day travel ticket for the zones which are your best bet.

SuperEd

Children Under 16
    There are no family tickets available on London's public transport, the main reason being that free travel is available for many children.

5-10 Years Old
    Children under 11 travel free on London's buses and do not need a photocard.
    If your child is aged 5 to 10 and needs to travel unaccompanied on Tube, DLR and London Overground services they will need a 5-10 Oyster photocard to travel free at any time. Children accompanied by an adult can travel free on Tube, DLR and London Overground services without an Oyster photocard.

11-15 Years Old
    Children 11-15 years old travel free on London's buses but require a photocard.
    A photocard is not needed for single or return tickets bought with cash or for 1 Day Travelcards. For everything else your child will need a photocard if you do not want to pay full fares.

SuperEd

and travel after 9.30 a lot cheaper

this might help ]http//ww…htm

Free Travel For Children On Buses & Underground

Under-5s
    Children under five can travel free at any time on the Tube, DLR, buses and trams as long as they are accompanied by an adult with a valid ticket. Children in this category do not need Photocards.

Children 5-10
    Under-11s can travel free at any time on buses and trams without the need for a Photocard.
    They can also travel free at any time on the Tube and DLR when they are travelling with an adult who has a valid ticket. Up to 4 children under 11 years old accompanied by a paying adult travel free on the London Underground. Under-11s travelling with an adult will not be issued with tickets but will be allowed to pass through the ticket gates at stations. Again no Photocard is required for children travelling with adults.
    Unaccompanied children between 5 and 10 must have a valid Photocard.

11-15s
    Children aged 11 to 15 years can get an 11-15 Oyster photocard to travel free on buses and trams and at child-rate on Tube, DLR and London Overground services.

]http//ww…htm

The person on the ticket office will help you get the best tickets.

You could get a 1 day Travelcard.

If you buy it "off peak", after 9,30 I think, they are £7.50 each for adults, but you can use them all day on as many journeys as you like. Childrens tickets are cheaper.

This is a good deal when you think a single journey ticket is £4.

tfl.gov.uk/tic…spx

Note you have to pay £3 for each Oyster card (and pay for each journey), so it may not be worth it for one day

Have you considerded parking at Hillingdon station?

When you come down the M40, and at Uxbridge it changes to the A40, then Hillingdon is right on the A40.

It says there are 283 spaces, but not sure how busy it gets on a "work day".

Original Poster

guilbert53;8283609

Have you considerded parking at Hillingdon station?When you come down the … Have you considerded parking at Hillingdon station?When you come down the M40, and at Uxbridge it changes to the A40, then Hillingdon is right on the A40.It says there are 283 spaces, but not sure how busy it gets on a "work day".

Not really fussed, always gone to Ruislip but will consider anywhere just off the M40. Thanks for the tip.

He is going from Ruislip because you can park really close to the station for nothing

Original Poster

pinkleponkle;8283647

He is going from Ruislip because you can park really close to the station … He is going from Ruislip because you can park really close to the station for nothing

Usually been on a Saturday and think I pay £1 in the station car park, obviously maybe more and less spaces on a Wednesday though.

just drive past the station on your right to the traffic lights, turn right and go down west end road, choose any road on the left and park, then walk back 5 minutes and onto the tube.

Original Poster

I assume I am going to need 2 off peak travel cards @ £7.50 for the 2 adults and 1 for the daughter who looks around 15 as she doesn't have i.d. The 2 under 11's are free aren't they.

So I make it £22.50 for the 5 of us unlimited off peak travel.

if they are under 11 and also under 5 then yes they are free.

Original Poster

Possibility of going to Madame Tussaud's, looking at the website there is a late entry saver ticket for £12. It doesn't mention at what time you can go in after though, anyone got a clue. I have googled it but can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

try daysoutguide.co.uk this gives 1/2 price entry to many places. also if you are going from ruislip, i have always fround it is better to get the chiltern br line rather than the central. you can use the travel card for this line as well as the underground.
    discountbritain.net gives 20% off various attractions and restaurants like the rain fores cafe, you just print off the vouchers, i think it is about 3 pages long.

sorry should be west ruislip station not ruislip

Just a warning... South Kensington gets very busy during the school holidays - especially at the museums:
    live.cgcu.net/new…074

Although I guess this is the case with most London attractions.

greg_68;8283781

Possibility of going to Madame Tussaud's, looking at the website there is … Possibility of going to Madame Tussaud's, looking at the website there is a late entry saver ticket for £12. It doesn't mention at what time you can go in after though, anyone got a clue. I have googled it but can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Madame Tussaud's can get HUGE queues outside.

Try to get your tickets in advances if you want to go.

If you are going to the museums I am sure there are enough other "free" things to do to avoid paying to get into Madame Tussaud's.

How about the British Museum, or Tate Modern, or the National Gallery near Trafalger Square (also National Portrait Gallery in same building). Also Covent Garden.

Plenty of free things to do in London.

golondon.about.com/od/…htm
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764226
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is56
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio812
      4. What do these 2 men have in common1220

See more discussions