Getting an iPhone - My Logic, confusing!!

Hi all

I am on a £20 a month sim only contract atm, but have had it for ages.

Now I have an iPod Touch which is £229 to replace.

I am considering getting an iPhone 3GS 32GB

If I go on the 44 pounds a month tariff, I get the phone for £175.19.

That means the first 9 months of my phone bill will be £396, I can then drop the tariff (I think) that will mean £308 for the second half of the contract. That totals £879 phone included.

I won't need an iPod so that takes it down to £679 and I won't need my contract anymore so that is £360

Bring it down to £319 so it will be the same as keeping my iPod and current contract +£100 on top is that right??

So effectively for £100 I am combining two devices

Is that right?

Seems like a no brainer to me

42 Comments

No brainer indeed:thumbsup:

Original Poster

jtx;6282395

No brainer indeed:thumbsup::o

But is it 100 extra or 300? I am confused

im in progress working it out lol

300 extra, you've taken 229 for the ipod out twice.

except do you really want one device? and have to pay £100 for the priviledge. I like that if I run my ipod flat I can still make phone calls.

Edit: They're right, £300

Sounds like witchcraft to me. What's the iPod touch got to do with anything?

Original Poster

Having the iPhone means you don't need the iPod Touch.

But for that 300 you get the convenience, the camera, the sat nav. Plus I can sell my old phone as I no longer need it

Ommid;6282503

Having the iPhone means you don't need the iPod Touch.But for that 300 … Having the iPhone means you don't need the iPod Touch.But for that 300 you get the convenience, the camera, the sat nav. Plus I can sell my old phone as I no longer need it

What gig is the Touch? You sure you'll get that much for it, used?

I really want a iphone too, and Im trying to justify it by thinking I can sell my touch, and my sat nav, and my current phone, and get one, seems good in my head.

Supermod

Bryan839;6282535

I really want a iphone too, and Im trying to justify it by thinking I can … I really want a iphone too, and Im trying to justify it by thinking I can sell my touch, and my sat nav, and my current phone, and get one, seems good in my head.

...and remortgage.

Original Poster

robtallica;6282533

What gig is the Touch? You sure you'll get that much for it, used?

Sold it already

The way i see it is.

Your paying 20 a month now, so first 9 months of 44 = 24 more then 9 months after at 34 so 14 more

9* 24 + 9* 14 = 216 + 126 = 342 + handset price 175 = 517

Then take off whatever you sell your itouch for etc

Thats assuming you would be happily paying 20 quid a month for another 18 months

Original Poster

Daft Punk;6282604

Thats assuming you would be happily paying 20 quid a month for another 18 … Thats assuming you would be happily paying 20 quid a month for another 18 months

£317 extra :-D

Similar to what I calculated.I have been paying 20 pound a month for months now, maybe even a year or two so it makes sense to me I think, it is daft.

Bryan839;6282535

I really want a iphone too, and Im trying to justify it by thinking I can … I really want a iphone too, and Im trying to justify it by thinking I can sell my touch, and my sat nav, and my current phone, and get one, seems good in my head.

I'm debating over getting one aswell. My O2 upgrade is due and I'm planning on going via the sim only payg route. I could order one now but I'm just not sure about spending £400-500 on something I don't really need that'll be out of date in a years time. Especially as I've got a few month old Nokia 5800.

I'll probably buy it by tonight:S

Original Poster

Daft Punk;6282625

Get it through mobiles.co.uk and you get £60 quidco for an iphone … Get it through mobiles.co.uk and you get £60 quidco for an iphone 3GS;-)Limited stock though.http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-co-uk/

hotukdeals.com/ite…t-8

Best payg sim for what your thinking

800 mins

1600 texts

unlimited net

after quidco works out at 11.24 a month 12 month contract

So when the new iphone comes out in a year you can sell your current iphone and be free for a new contract

robtallica;6282636

I'm debating over getting one aswell. My O2 upgrade is due and I'm … I'm debating over getting one aswell. My O2 upgrade is due and I'm planning on going via the sim only payg route. I could order one now but I'm just not sure about spending £400-500 on something I don't really need that'll be out of date in a years time. Especially as I've got a few month old Nokia 5800.I'll probably buy it by tonight:S

Im gonna defiantly buy it on payg aswell. And go on sim only using the quidco deal.

Where you going to buy it from, im struggling to find it on payg in stores, they keep saying they have contract stock only.

I will probably order it on apples website, and get a bit of quidco. What do you reckon, should we both splash out and buy one tonight?

Daft Punk;6282666

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/478584/its-back-02-12-month-sim-contract-8Best payg sim for what your thinking800 mins1600 textsunlimited net after quidco works out at 11.24 a month 12 month contractSo when the new iphone comes out in a year you can sell your current iphone and be free for a new contract

I like your post! Thats just what I was thinking!

What do you get for quidco with apple for a payg iPhone???

Daft Punk;6282700

What do you get for quidco with apple for a payg iPhone???

4% Almost £20?

Original Poster

4% it seems to say

Ive been thinking about all this constantly for about 2 months but something in the back of my mind keeps saying wait to see if orange get the 3G and get one of them......

Original Poster

Daft Punk;6282728

Ive been thinking about all this constantly for about 2 months but … Ive been thinking about all this constantly for about 2 months but something in the back of my mind keeps saying wait to see if orange get the 3G and get one of them......

Why?? What do you think it is better to do? Get it on PayG and then get a SimOnly contract or just save the messing and get it all together?

Bryan839;6282668

Im gonna defiantly buy it on payg aswell. And go on sim only using the … Im gonna defiantly buy it on payg aswell. And go on sim only using the quidco deal.Where you going to buy it from, im struggling to find it on payg in stores, they keep saying they have contract stock only. I will probably order it on apples website, and get a bit of quidco. What do you reckon, should we both splash out and buy one tonight?

Maybe, was gonna get it from Apples website, knowing me if I'm already spending over £400 it's not that great a leap to the 32GB version. Someone told me the white looks grubby after a while but I never listen:S

The post by Daft punk is what I'm upgrading to, bargain contract all things considered.

I've also been hearing that apple are soon to release a 8gb 3GS when the 3G supply runs out

Ommid;6282737

Why?? What do you think it is better to do? Get it on PayG and then get a … Why?? What do you think it is better to do? Get it on PayG and then get a SimOnly contract or just save the messing and get it all together?

Payg is the far better option in my opinion £35 a month for 600 mins 500 texts unlimited net is a joke compared to what you can get on the high street for other phones. Its just about forking out £420 ish in bulk

Ommid;6282737

Why?? What do you think it is better to do? Get it on PayG and then get a … Why?? What do you think it is better to do? Get it on PayG and then get a SimOnly contract or just save the messing and get it all together?

I would go down the sim only route, your not tied in for 18 months, it works out a little cheaper, and next year you can sell yours when the new one comes out.

Ohh this is sounding really good in my head, im off to find my credit card!

The best 3 ways i could figure out with contract were: (these include the 9 month lowering tariff and mobiles.co.uk £60 quidco)

24m/ 32gb = 947.24 = £39.46 a month

24m/ 16gb = 850 = £35.41 a month

18m/ 16gb = 731.90 = £40.66 a month

the porter;6282810

Get it done you won't regret it I'm so glad I went the payg route … Get it done you won't regret it I'm so glad I went the payg route spending £10 a month and the thing is never out of my hands tomtom for the sat nav iPod I'm just playing operation sandstorm at the mo stunning for a phone it's the best bit of kit on the Market !!

Dude! You're not helping haha!

the porter;6282810

Get it done you won't regret it I'm so glad I went the payg route … Get it done you won't regret it I'm so glad I went the payg route spending £10 a month and the thing is never out of my hands tomtom for the sat nav iPod I'm just playing operation sandstorm at the mo stunning for a phone it's the best bit of kit on the Market !!

Didnt you own a 3G aswell? Can you tell the difference between the 3G and your new 3GS apart from the obvious apps?

Original Poster

the porter;6282877

Yes I've had the 2g 3g now 3gs and yes the difference speedwise is very … Yes I've had the 2g 3g now 3gs and yes the difference speedwise is very noticable your not waiting like u was with the 3g it's a lot faster

And the sim only contracts work just as well with the phones do they?

What have you decided ommid?

Edit! Didnt even notice I have gone over 4000 posts, go me!

Bryan839;6283379

What have you decided ommid?Edit! Didnt even notice I have gone over 4000 … What have you decided ommid?Edit! Didnt even notice I have gone over 4000 posts, go me!

Congrats :thumbsup: Whats your choice going to be aswell?

Daft Punk;6283502

Congrats :thumbsup: Whats your choice going to be aswell?

Well I have been looking around for a few days, after the ipod touch announcement which was a bit of a disappointment, and I have been really trying not to buy the iphone, I sold my ipod touch last month (ready for the 3rd gen touch, which I didn't end up buying), and now Im stuck. I really like the idea of a ipod touch that I can use on the net anywhere, and apps are there when I want them etc.

Actually the more I think and talk about it, the more I want it.

Original Poster

I am definitely getting a 32GB iPhone, probably with contract to keep things simple

Ommid;6284139

I am definitely getting a 32GB iPhone, probably with contract to keep … I am definitely getting a 32GB iPhone, probably with contract to keep things simple

rebel

Original Poster

Daft Punk;6285211

rebel

Haha, actually there may have been a change of circumstances, will keep you posted.

But I wasn't keen on the iPhone update, I was hoping it would have become more of an iTouch style device this time.

How is the iphone going?

Did you get one lol?

I just ordered mine through apple uk.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions