Getting car insurance for 18 year old son.

Posted 17th Sep
Looking for advice on whether to go for a black box policy for a reduction in cost.
@£1400 with out or @£1000 with. What are the pitfalls of these boxes?
Have used comparison sites for quotes.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Go with the box. If anything, it will be in the back of his mind that he is being monitored and may help him stay calm at least for the first 12 months while he learns to drive (as in passing the test is just the start).

My son has a box (Admiral I think). He knows it is there and it gives him feedback via the insurer's website. Also, If his car is ever stolen at least we may stand a small chance of finding it again.
36 Comments
Who has given the cheapest telematics quote, Admiral
You’ve put yourself as a named driver? That’ll knock a fair few quid off
I’m old but have a black box in my car. ( Fits in my OBD2 port )
For me it’s about price, about 75% off a standard policy. With top features.
Its with by Miles, they track the car speed etc. But speed time of day and driving habits don’t factor in my insurance.

With black box insurance for the young it tracks everything, and will affect the policy.
Some don’t allow driving late at night etc
Go with the box. If anything, it will be in the back of his mind that he is being monitored and may help him stay calm at least for the first 12 months while he learns to drive (as in passing the test is just the start).

My son has a box (Admiral I think). He knows it is there and it gives him feedback via the insurer's website. Also, If his car is ever stolen at least we may stand a small chance of finding it again.
I think it’s important to check the restrictions on the black box and what the penalties are if they are not adhered too as it could mean your insurance been more than the quoted £1000
Good grief! I remember back in the day insuring my XR2 for £1600, that was a few years ago! absolutely ridicules looking back on it!.
The cheapest so far is Morethan with me as a named driver.
How do the boxs get installed?
The car is a 1999 Toyota so does not have an OBD socket.
mrman00717/09/2019 20:26

Good grief! I remember back in the day insuring my XR2 for £1600, that was …Good grief! I remember back in the day insuring my XR2 for £1600, that was a few years ago! absolutely ridicules looking back on it!.

Wait,wait you paid! Citroen Saxo VTS 3 years free insurance, followed by Clio another 3 years....first car I paid insurance for was a Renault Laguna V6 £340, those the days.
Just tried Directline-no quote
Admiral £2000
I’d go without blackbox. £400 different and it could cost you more if telematics provider is strict and gives penalties and you may risk a cancelled policy. If it’s a small car he isn’t really going to get off to speed but as long as he’s responsible he’ll much rather prefer without a blackbox too.
1999 toyota corolla 1.3
simonvf40017/09/2019 20:28

The cheapest so far is Morethan with me as a named driver.How do the boxs …The cheapest so far is Morethan with me as a named driver.How do the boxs get installed?The car is a 1999 Toyota so does not have an OBD socket.

An engineer will come out and install it.
Not all plug into the obd, most are hardwired.
Edited by: "MadSkilzYo" 17th Sep

The cheapest so far is Morethan with me as a named driver.How do the boxs …The cheapest so far is Morethan with me as a named driver.How do the boxs get installed?The car is a 1999 Toyota so does not have an OBD socket.

Both the prices you mention seem kinda cheap if there is no NCD being applied, or is the compulsory / combined excess horrific?

Does your other half have a licence? If so get a quote with you both as named drivers. Also whoever gives the best quote, call them up and get them to quote multi car when yours and/or your other half’s renew. This will save quite a lot, provided the quotes on yours is still OK (remember they will be quoting pro rata). Also is your son a student and/or working? As it will need commuting added if not already done. Also mileage impacts the price, a lot of insurers have about 7-8k as the ideal annual mileage.
As for the box, it is different with each insurer. Most will monitor mileage, time of day used, speed, any knocks (can trigger claims to question), breaking patterns etc.

Telematics is suited to daytime drivers who do not speed, drive sensibly and stick to the mileage stated on the policy.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 17th Sep
Our son had Co-op young drivers insurance , not sure how they compare to others as it was a few years back, but he used to get rebates if his driving was good. They came out & fitted the box & when he no longer required it they just left it in the vehicle.
I've fitted a few boxes for customers recently as they were posted to them for them to fit themselves, just require connecting to the battery,these days no real hardwiring is needed or installers needed to come out & they got a text message to say it was connected & working correctly.
Edited by: "richp" 17th Sep
I had a black box with Privilege and Churchill and drove in the middle of the night regularly and with the roads being empty at night often put my foot down and the insurance never said a thing, all that happened was I didn't get a discount at renewal.
Then went with Morethan and they kept sending warning emails that I was driving too fast, I starting driving like a granny and still got a final warning, had to cancel the insurance and ended up costing me £500 in cancellation charges.
Other half has 3 points so have not added.
Have multi cover with Aviva but have not yet tried adding son.
Have put down commuting as he is a student.So will be driving morning rush hour.
Using 5000 miles .
I've had More than insurance on my micra 1.0

However, the price was £1.2K with BB, or £4K without. So, for me I had to go for the BB. This was with named drivers including my parents.

For an extra £400, i'd go for it without, as it gives so much opportunity. However, a BB will make your son drive more safely, as it did to me.

If you go over the speed limit by 2-3 mph, you will get a negative speed score. If you go over quite a lot, for example 36 in a 30, or 80 in a 70, you may get a warning by More Than, after 3(*or so) warnings they will cancel the policy.

You can only drive up to 6 journeys a day, before you start getting a negative "usage" score. It doesn't matter how long or short the journey is, however, if any single journey is more than one hour, you will get a negative score for the "usage".

Your smoothness is also measured, and the less smooth you drive, the less the score is. Sometimes this is a hassle for me, as when I drive up a multi-storey car park, the ramps cause me to get the lowest score for some reason.

Also, the mileage. It will record your mileage using the black box, and if you go over your annual mileage, you will have to pay. They quoted me £300 per 1K miles. So if you do decide to go with the black box, be sure to put the correct amount of miles.

The better your score is, the more discount you can get on a renewal (max 33%), however hopefully next year, you won't have to get a bb insurance. If you have any questions about the black box, let me know, as I have had experience with it, and still currently have it.
You as named driver? If you do more miles than him in it then you are 'fronting' and he will have no insurance cover in the event of an accident (and you may both be liable for criminal prosecution).

What is fronting?
Fronting occurs when a driver declares to a car insurance company that he or she is the main driver of a vehicle but it is actually someone else who is the main user of the car. Usually, an older, more experienced driver falsely insures a vehicle in their own name, even though the main driver is a younger, riskier motorist . Fronting is often committed by parents with the aim of getting a cheaper insurance quote for their children who are either learning to drive or are young drivers.

Fronting is illegal and considered as fraud, with serious consequences, including a criminal record and all that entails."

RAC
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 17th Sep
Blackbox is like being on tag don’t do it freedom on a leash
Ringfinger17/09/2019 21:57

You as named driver? If you do more miles than him in it then you are …You as named driver? If you do more miles than him in it then you are 'fronting' and he will have no insurance cover in the event of an accident (and you may both be liable for criminal prosecution).What is fronting?Fronting occurs when a driver declares to a car insurance company that he or she is the main driver of a vehicle but it is actually someone else who is the main user of the car. Usually, an older, more experienced driver falsely insures a vehicle in their own name, even though the main driver is a younger, riskier motorist . Fronting is often committed by parents with the aim of getting a cheaper insurance quote for their children who are either learning to drive or are young drivers.Fronting is illegal and considered as fraud, with serious consequences, including a criminal record and all that entails."RAC

This is not fronting, what makes you assume the OP is going to drive it more than his son? He is adding himself to make it cheaper, which isn’t fronting... Fronting would be the OP being the policy holder with his son as a named driver, and his son driving it the most.

simonvf40017/09/2019 21:38

Other half has 3 points so have not added.Have multi cover with Aviva but …Other half has 3 points so have not added.Have multi cover with Aviva but have not yet tried adding son.Have put down commuting as he is a student.So will be driving morning rush hour.Using 5000 miles .

Also OP just to make you aware, definitely get a quote with your other half on there as well as you (3 points is neither here nor there). If they had a bunch of claims then I’d admit it would be pointless. I would bet that almost all insurers would quote a cheaper price with all 3 of you.
I loved my son having a black box fitted for his first 2 years, it meant he had to stick to the speed limits, peace of mind for me
JohnnyRoller17/09/2019 22:16

This is not fronting, what makes you assume the OP is going to drive it …This is not fronting, what makes you assume the OP is going to drive it more than his son? He is adding himself to make it cheaper, which isn’t fronting... Fronting would be the OP being the policy holder with his son as a named driver, and his son driving it the most.Also OP just to make you aware, definitely get a quote with your other half on there as well as you (3 points is neither here nor there). If they had a bunch of claims then I’d admit it would be pointless. I would bet that almost all insurers would quote a cheaper price with all 3 of you.

"This is not fronting, what makes you assume the OP is going to drive it more than his son? He is adding himself to make it cheaper, which isn’t fronting... Fronting would be the OP being the policy holder with his son as a named driver, and his son driving it the most."

OP seems somewhat confused regarding insurance, I thought it better to prewarn him off the pitfalls before he is tempted. Who's to say he's not going to be talked into if by one of the 'guys at work'?
Fronting is particularly easy for insurance companies to spot when there's is a telematics box fitted.

I'm not assuming OP is daft enough to do this, but the temptation is there...
simonvf40017/09/2019 20:57

1999 toyota corolla 1.3

I do genuinely mean this in a nice way - Can you afford a -slightly- newer car for him?
A car built in 1999 is unfortunately not going to protect him if he is involved in a major crash. And as newest drivers are most likely to crash, I would be terrified to give a son/daughter such an old car simply because of it's lack of safety/crumple zones compared to modern cars.

youtube.com/wat…0Uc
That's a 1998 Toyota Corolla vs 2015 Toyota Corolla in a head-on collision and you can see the difference. They've definitely broken their femur and need to go to a Major Trauma Centre after that crash.... The 2015 person is likely to just walk away.
Fair enough if it's all that is possible, but a car from 10-12 years ago is going to be safer than a car before 2000....

A car from 2003-2006 isn't going to cause the premium to be too different. Just food for thought; I don't mean it in any mean way but they are the most likely to crash and so being in the most unsafe vehicle is also not ideal.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 17th Sep
simonvf40017/09/2019 21:38

Other half has 3 points so have not added.Have multi cover with Aviva but …Other half has 3 points so have not added.Have multi cover with Aviva but have not yet tried adding son.Have put down commuting as he is a student.So will be driving morning rush hour.Using 5000 miles .

Try Aviva drive app
Got the highest discount 28% (even though I think my Driving was not even close to get that score)
Plus multi car got 20% extra
All in all saved £1200
arjanvirdi17/09/2019 21:40

I've had More than insurance on my micra 1.0However, the price was £1.2K …I've had More than insurance on my micra 1.0However, the price was £1.2K with BB, or £4K without. So, for me I had to go for the BB. This was with named drivers including my parents.For an extra £400, i'd go for it without, as it gives so much opportunity. However, a BB will make your son drive more safely, as it did to me.If you go over the speed limit by 2-3 mph, you will get a negative speed score. If you go over quite a lot, for example 36 in a 30, or 80 in a 70, you may get a warning by More Than, after 3(*or so) warnings they will cancel the policy. You can only drive up to 6 journeys a day, before you start getting a negative "usage" score. It doesn't matter how long or short the journey is, however, if any single journey is more than one hour, you will get a negative score for the "usage".Your smoothness is also measured, and the less smooth you drive, the less the score is. Sometimes this is a hassle for me, as when I drive up a multi-storey car park, the ramps cause me to get the lowest score for some reason.Also, the mileage. It will record your mileage using the black box, and if you go over your annual mileage, you will have to pay. They quoted me £300 per 1K miles. So if you do decide to go with the black box, be sure to put the correct amount of miles. The better your score is, the more discount you can get on a renewal (max 33%), however hopefully next year, you won't have to get a bb insurance. If you have any questions about the black box, let me know, as I have had experience with it, and still currently have it.

Hi, sorry am I reading / understanding this correctly? 4 thousand pounds insurance for a 1 litre Micra with no Black box???
Edited by: "mrman007" 17th Sep
mrman00717/09/2019 23:51

Hi, sorry am I reading / understanding this correctly? 4 thousand pounds …Hi, sorry am I reading / understanding this correctly? 4 thousand pounds insurance for a 1 litre Micra with no Black box???

imgur.com/kSl…AgU

Yep, Although it's showing 2.5K now, but was 4K without one at the start of my policy.
Edited by: "arjanvirdi" 18th Sep
mrman00717/09/2019 20:26

Good grief! I remember back in the day insuring my XR2 for £1600, that was …Good grief! I remember back in the day insuring my XR2 for £1600, that was a few years ago! absolutely ridicules looking back on it!.

£1600 for a XR2 wasn’t to bad, when I was 19 it cost me £2300 for a J reg Vauxhall Nova 1.6 GSI. My latest car though only costs me £320 for a Hyundai i30N fully comprehensive and my previous car a Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI and that cost me £560 fully comprehensive, work that one out.

If you don't have an OBD socket , than you will be given one of these
38488955-rDoh1.jpg
Essentially the insurance company monitors the standard of driving and therefore offers lower policies. If he chooses to drive badly repeatedly they may write to him with notice revoking his insurance.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Sep
It's surprising what things can lower insurance prices.

My dad has been driving for over 40 years. I recently added myself on as a second driver for the remaining 6 months of his policy (I'm 29 years old, named driver for 8 years). Rather than having to pay more, my dad got £18 back. Crazy!
To answer the question, I would say go with the black box. It will make your son a lot more careful on the road knowing he's being monitored.
Get a black box and buy a sticker to put on car saying black box fitted.
I will try adding other half.
Son wanted a Corolla from that time.
I am using 5000 miles on the quotes .
Driving to college will be in rush hour so assuming this will be bad for a black box.
Have not even thought about fronting .
Thanks for the replies ,more quotes this everning
Update-decided not to go with a black box.
Final cost £1250 via Confused(slightly cheaper for the same quote from the other comparison sites).
The quotes did go up/down on different days so is worth trying quotes for several days to get a slightly lower one.
Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants