Getting engaged - ring material

Posted 12th Jan
I've planning on popping the Q to my partner, she's know it's going to happen, she's just doesnt know where or when.

Without risking the surprise, we sat down and she told me the design she'd want (I'd rather get it right)

My question would be as I was offered 2 choices in the shop, make them with 9ct white gold or platinum. To me they look identical and I doubt she would see any difference.

Therefore is one better or more valuable than the other or would one maintain its cost better. Not that we'd want to sell but long term factor etc.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
If you really want to surprise her don't propose.
15 Comments
Surprised you were offered 9ct White Gold and also Platinum as that's very different price points (maybe you mean 18ct White Gold)?

I wouldn't want White Gold for a long term, everyday ring as it needs re-plating every now and then (one jeweller said "every six months" to me, but I don't wear my rings enough and that sounded excessive).

This might help you make up your mind: jogiadiamonds.com.au/blo…ou/
If you really want to surprise her don't propose.
@Paulpaulpaul3 I own both jewellery in 9ct white gold and some in platinum. There is a big difference in price between the two - platinum being the most expensive because it is rarer , heavier and harder. 9ct white gold is the cheaper alternative though . I suppose it comes down to personal preference upon each individual ring design and how much budget you have in mind. My preference would be platinum - However Check this link news.thediamondstore.co.uk/whi…um/ congratulations
9ct. White gold is rhodium plated and this wears off in time leaving the metal dull. 9ct good is also not very pure, onlyv375 parts per thousand. Platinum is a much more expensive metal. It would normally be 950 parts per thousand pure. As a long term investment it would be platinum every time
Maybe I'm strange but I prefer Yellow Gold. I've seen some jewellers recommend eg, 18ct Yellow Gold band and Platinum mount as best for long-term wear.
louiselouise13/01/2020 00:12

Maybe I'm strange but I prefer Yellow Gold. I've seen some jewellers …Maybe I'm strange but I prefer Yellow Gold. I've seen some jewellers recommend eg, 18ct Yellow Gold band and Platinum mount as best for long-term wear.

I'm with you on that. I prefer yellow gold.
Have a look at clogau gold, I prefer white gold but that’s me. However it does need to be dipped every year or so to keep the shine
Was the price for 9ct white gold same price as the platinum? I thought platinum would be far more expensive. Personally prefer platinum or 18ct gold.. (My wedding ring/band is platinum)

Platinum doesn't tarnish, corrode, rust, or change colour over the years. Which is why i preferred it.

End of the day its down to cost/preference.
I’d opt for Rhodium personally, failing that Titanium.
i have platinum and 18ct white gold jewellery. i can't tell the difference myself between them but the 18ct white gold is cheaper than the platinum. i would recommend you buy platinum as apparently white gold can go yellow with time, not that any of my jewellery has.
Whats your budget, I'd go for 22ct from a Asian jewellery shop but suppose depends on the designs they have so many and they are usually not so expensive they are around the market price of gold and a little bit mark up . Rings usually start from £60-200 depending on there weight.
If your buying at retail don't even think about resale or future value. The scrap value will be a fraction of what you are paying. Shame you can't get engagement rings in cobalt as it looks just as good as platinum but is very cheap and extremely tough.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions