getting higher on google, non revelant name? seems unfair

Found 5th Feb
Hi, without paying to get on top in the business part that comes ontop, in my location area, another company shows up due to there name,

most people looking will search in 'tilers' and company is called Decortiling however someone else in the area is called 'paul the tiler' so it seems like just his business name is earning him the top spot as google think its most revelant as he has his name, so without paying google money and changing my business name is there anything I can do to become more relevant than a business named the trade?
thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments
Why not pay if you want to be on top and benefit from it ?
Edited by: "napior" 5th Feb
napior43 m ago

At a guess, he's probably a small one man company and can't afford to pay the extortionate fees that google want to be at the top of the list.
Getting some advice from a Google partner would cost you a couple of hundred pounds. Go sit with one of them for a few hours and ask what they can do for you. Or sit with several partners. If that's not value for money to you then it will be to the next business and they will win it.

It's not a question of being fair. Its a question of growing a business.
Google is a business just like you. So ultimately it will reward people who pay the most (i.e. adwords). A website needs to be high quality, with highly relevant content (and ideally regular, new content). Make sure you use this service: google.co.uk/int…ss/

Additionally, consider other forms of online advertising - you might find Facebook works better for you. Make sure you have a Facebook page, giving as much information about you and your business as possible. Put pictures on the page and get customers to leave reviews. All of this will also help your website.
Name only plays a small part these days content is more important. Lots of free guides to improve SEO ranking.
Yes content seems to be key now. Make sure you have the keywords relevant to your trade on your website. Videos can also make a positive impact on Google ratings, maybe make a short 'how-to' video and post onto your website?

I'm no expert, but there is a lot you can do for free rather than paying for AdWords.
Original Poster
napior2 h, 4 m ago

Because the simple fact that I don't need to pay to be on top, the guy at top is not paying
whelan1898 m ago

Because the simple fact that I don't need to pay to be on top, the guy at …Because the simple fact that I don't need to pay to be on top, the guy at top is not paying:)

How do you know? He might be paying somebody to do his SEO, he might be paying somebody to run his website who knows how to make a website rank organically.
Original Poster
ipswich781 h, 54 m ago

How do you know? He might be paying somebody to do his SEO, he might be …How do you know? He might be paying somebody to do his SEO, he might be paying somebody to run his website who knows how to make a website rank organically.

this guy does not even have a website he just signed up for google business, he has no reviews or pics nothing, he soley at the top because he has the word tiler in his name, decortiling is my dads business, i'm trying to figure out what I can do
Original Poster
ipswich781 h, 56 m ago

How do you know? He might be paying somebody to do his SEO, he might be …How do you know? He might be paying somebody to do his SEO, he might be paying somebody to run his website who knows how to make a website rank organically.

Decortiling.com or .co.uk have a look plenty of information and key words, loads of pictures also hidden i have put loads of words for tiling keywords, need to get more reviews ect, but not sure how to beat paul the tiler coming up first
whelan1891 h, 17 m ago

Decortiling.com or .co.uk have a look plenty of information and key words, …Decortiling.com or .co.uk have a look plenty of information and key words, loads of pictures also hidden i have put loads of words for tiling keywords, need to get more reviews ect, but not sure how to beat paul the tiler coming up first

One thing to note in your meta descriptions:

<meta name="fb_admins_meta_tag" content="DecorTiling"/><meta name="keywords" content="Worthing tiler, brighton tiler, ceramic tiling sussx, sussex tiler, tiling, west sussex tiler"/><meta name="description" content="Brighton Tiler, Worthing Tiler, West Sussex Tiler, Sussex Tiler, 25 Years + In the trade, All aspects floor and wall Tiling. Ceramic Tiler"/>

You're just dumping in keywords - this doesn't do anything for you at all nowadays. I don't think meta name "keywords" is even used anymore... Somebody else might be able to clarify that.

From a Google perspective you actually only mention 'tiling' once on your Homepage - do you have anymore pages? If so, I can't seem to find them?
As above current consensus is that the keyword meta tag is mostly irrelevant, can't hurt to stick a few keywords that are relevant to the site in, but as mentioned above not necessary.

And the meta description isn't used as anything more than your "ad" in the listing, make it easy to read rather than just the cram of keywords that look robotic, this is what will decide whether a user clicks through to your site or not.

As for this - "also hidden i have put loads of words for tiling keywords". If you genuinely mean you've hidden text via colour etc then take them all out as soon as possible. Google algorithms may have been tricked ten years ago but these days? Nah. To be fair, I can Paul the Tiler has done exactly the same thing, but it's a huge no.

Genuine content packed with keywords. Hidden words could be actually what is penalising your site if the page is stacked full of them.

Basic SEO search will tell you better things to do in all honesty. It's better spending time there than asking here as the information is all out there and easily attainable.

Also, two identical websites with exactly the same content material can also penalise you in the search listing, unless you're international stick with co.uk and permanently redirect the .com to the UK site with a 301 redirect in the .htaccess file or use the .com for a different kind of marketing.

Unique and quality content. You simply don't have enough of it.

And whilst Paul the Tiler may have a bottom barrel made by wix website (as is yours I'm assuming) – his website has his text, and tiler is thrown in all over the page.Your top ‘text’ is part of the image, there’s keywords in there that aren’t being picked up by Google. You have “tiling” mentioned a total of twice.
Edited by: "Gynx" 5th Feb
Original Poster
Gynx21 m ago

As above current consensus is that the keyword meta tag is mostly …As above current consensus is that the keyword meta tag is mostly irrelevant, can't hurt to stick a few keywords that are relevant to the site in, but as mentioned above not necessary. And the meta description isn't used as anything more than your "ad" in the listing, make it easy to read rather than just the cram of keywords that look robotic, this is what will decide whether a user clicks through to your site or not.As for this - "also hidden i have put loads of words for tiling keywords". If you genuinely mean you've hidden text via colour etc then take them all out as soon as possible. Google algorithms may have been tricked ten years ago but these days? Nah. Genuine content packed with keywords. Hidden words could be actually what is penalising your site if the page is stacked full of them. Basic SEO search will tell you better things to do in all honesty. It's better spending time there than asking here as the information is all out there and easily attainable.Also, two identical websites with exactly the same content material can also penalise you in the search listing, unless you're international stick with co.uk and permanently redirect the .com to the UK site with a 301 redirect in the .htaccess file or use the .com for a different kind of marketing. Unique and quality content. You simply don't have enough of it. And whilst Paul the Tiler may have a bottom barrel made by wix website (as is yours I'm assuming) – his website has his text, and tiler is thrown in all over the page.Your top ‘text’ is part of the image, there’s keywords in there that aren’t being picked up by Google. You have “tiling” mentioned a total of twice.

Thankyou for your words, Im 21 and took this on to help but obvcourse only done a few hours research, will take what you said to try improve, yes it's a wix site, he originally had .co.uk but wix forces you to use .com so i have the .co.uk redirecting, is it better to have .co.uk on google business or .com?
whelan18927 m ago

Thankyou for your words, Im 21 and took this on to help but obvcourse only …Thankyou for your words, Im 21 and took this on to help but obvcourse only done a few hours research, will take what you said to try improve, yes it's a wix site, he originally had .co.uk but wix forces you to use .com so i have the .co.uk redirecting, is it better to have .co.uk on google business or .com?

Good on you for getting out there and doing it.

If you’re doubtful you could beat him in ranking then there’s no need as you can very easily, but it will require an investment of your time or money.

Quality content comes from thinking about what a person who is looking for a tiler really wants to see/read, and then cramming the keywords in, it’s a balancing act.

I’d go .co.uk personally, it won’t get you listed internationally but I don’t think that’s a huge issue, there’s rumours it’s meant to help in search listings but then that’s hard to say when most people go .co.uk anyway, but redirecting with a 301 means that any page rank the .com domain earned is passed onto the .co.uk

You can get in too deep with SEO but try not to, I think just more quality text thrown in with keywords will help massively in all honesty.

Takes about a week or two for changes to reflect ranking sometimes so make changes slow, test and carry on.

These are good pages/tools to use

moz.com/fre…ols

moz.com/lea…seo

Getting reviews is difficult, if not sometimes impossible, most of us just don't write reviews a lot. Explaining the importance to you as a business to the customers sometimes triggers that want to write reviews.
Edited by: "Gynx" 5th Feb
Original Poster
Gynx5th Feb

Good on you for getting out there and doing it. If you’re doubtful you c …Good on you for getting out there and doing it. If you’re doubtful you could beat him in ranking then there’s no need as you can very easily, but it will require an investment of your time or money. Quality content comes from thinking about what a person who is looking for a tiler really wants to see/read, and then cramming the keywords in, it’s a balancing act. I’d go .co.uk personally, it won’t get you listed internationally but I don’t think that’s a huge issue, there’s rumours it’s meant to help in search listings but then that’s hard to say when most people go .co.uk anyway, but redirecting with a 301 means that any page rank the .com domain earned is passed onto the .co.uk You can get in too deep with SEO but try not to, I think just more quality text thrown in with keywords will help massively in all honesty. Takes about a week or two for changes to reflect ranking sometimes so make changes slow, test and carry on. These are good pages/tools to usehttps://moz.com/free-seo-toolshttps://moz.com/learn/seo/on-site-seoGetting reviews is difficult, if not sometimes impossible, most of us just don't write reviews a lot. Explaining the importance to you as a business to the customers sometimes triggers that want to write reviews.

Thankyou for your response, So the website is hosted on .com at the moment .co.uk is just redirecting it, so shall i have my business google set at .co.uk or .com?

have made changed already from advice given, another thing I want to ask for advice about is area, I currently have it set as no set location and set to 50 mile radius is what we offer, were in shoreham so when I type in tilers im on the list however if someone was in worthing and typed tiler or if they searched tilers worthing it im not even on the long list, surely I should be on every list in 50 miles radius?

we could invest in advertising but realistically can be at the top surely without paying every month, will look at other sites like you suggested just thought i'd gander
Original Poster
Also currently working an email with image with recview link for his business embedded, and will be emailing out to all old clients, Im sure this will help massively
While I fully understand what you are trying, and I'm afraid no idea in helping on that front, but from a prospective customers point of view (recently did that search myself looking for a trades person lol). When presented with the information on the first page, I'm very likely to avoid those "sponsored" ads and maybe even the first few, on the assumption if they near the top the possibly paying and well someone got to pay for those extra overheads, likely me the customer. Yes I might use one of them as a "reference quote", then start digging deeper. If like another person has already said that top result didn't even have own website I'd be ignoring them anyhow. I'd rather see photo's of work completed (with things like "these tiles where purchased from xx retailer" - helps to show non-biased to suppliers also) and an informative site than being at the very top of search results. I'd also lean towards those with clear pricing structures or even prices added to the examples of work completed.

Just adding abit more, as a customer I'd love to see an availability calendar, rather than ringing up to find "yeah I'm sorry but I'm booked out for the next 6 weeks then I'm going on holiday". Also love to see as part of the clear pricing examples that 90% of my jobs came within the quote given for the work, or the stats of jobs completed with x amount of time etc. Might sound daft but another simple thing of a picture of the van(s) etc used, so I know who to keep a look out for when I'm waiting for you to arrive to quote etc. I'm sure other end consumers would have a "wish list" of content that would attract them more over another person/company.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions