Found 11th Jun 2010
Hi all,

I've just finished University and been lucky enough to secure a good graduate job starting next month. I am hoping to go on holiday before I start and also need to buy new suits, shirts, ect ect.

I've been to the bank (HSBC) and they have informed me there is no available loan until i've been working for 3 months (when i wont need it!)

can anybody suggest any other options, i'm looking to get around £2000.

I would consider a credit card but i know very little about them and heard a lot of horror stories, so i guess i'd have to be careful...

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
58 Comments

Graduate overdrafts are normally interest free and you can get about £2k available to you.

Failing a graduate overdraft I would go for one of the many interest free credit card offers.

Maybe you should have gone to work instead of letting me pay for your uni fee's through my tax... when lets face it you will probably end up in topman on a till anyway! :thumbsup:

jonny619447;8812526

Maybe you should have gone to work instead of letting me pay for your uni … Maybe you should have gone to work instead of letting me pay for your uni fee's through my tax... when lets face it you will probably end up in topman on a till anyway! :thumbsup:

Troll.

Banned

jonny619447;8812526

Maybe you should have gone to work instead of letting me pay for your uni … Maybe you should have gone to work instead of letting me pay for your uni fee's through my tax... when lets face it you will probably end up in topman on a till anyway! :thumbsup:

Happy Christmas! :santa:

I do agree though.

Banned

To be serious, you can get some good ideas ]HERE

jonny619447;8812526

well you can have a right go at me then since im scottish and the government pays all my tuition, ive done 2 years of a 4 year course and im considering leaving :-D

enjoy

micoo;8812632

well you can have a right go at me then since im scottish and the … well you can have a right go at me then since im scottish and the government pays all my tuition, ive done 2 years of a 4 year course and im considering leaving :-Denjoy

classic!

micoo;8812632

well you can have a right go at me then since im scottish and the … well you can have a right go at me then since im scottish and the government pays all my tuition, ive done 2 years of a 4 year course and im considering leaving :-Denjoy

The third year of my course was work experience. Never went back to uni :-D

Banned

lmao youve had several years bumming about at uni now you want another loan for holidays and clothes.,....

you make me sick:lol:

jonny619447;8812526

Oooooh, you pay tax?
You must be paying for my benefits then.
let me take this opportunity to thank you personally.

BRB...Just getting another beer from the fridge. :thumbsup:

Banned

Jumpingphil;8812718

Oooooh, you pay tax?You must be paying for my benefits then.let me take … Oooooh, you pay tax?You must be paying for my benefits then.let me take this opportunity to thank you personally.BRB...Just getting another beer from the fridge. :thumbsup:

Enjoy it whilst you can - you'll be forced back in work before long, probably packing things in boxes whilst the rest of us with an education tell you what to do.

If you can't afford it, why are you going on holiday? It's a luxury, not a necessity.

micoo;8812632

Micoo you at Dundee Uni what you studying???

JonnyTwoToes;8813217

Enjoy it whilst you can - you'll be forced back in work before long, … Enjoy it whilst you can - you'll be forced back in work before long, probably packing things in boxes whilst the rest of us with an education tell you what to do.

Sorry, but that's never going to happen. :thumbsup:

Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8813217

Enjoy it whilst you can - you'll be forced back in work before long, … Enjoy it whilst you can - you'll be forced back in work before long, probably packing things in boxes whilst the rest of us with an education tell you what to do.

yeah.....im sure with unemployment rising and cut backs due in a matter of weeks, you really think unemployment is gonna come down:w00t:

its going up and you are gonna start feeling the pinch.........the recession was nothing compared to whats coming

Banned

Jumpingphil;8813278

Sorry, but that's never going to happen. :thumbsup:

Come and ask me for a job when you're proved wrong. I'll be happy to tell you where to go.

Banned

casparwhite;8813295

yeah.....im sure with unemployment rising and cut backs due in a matter … yeah.....im sure with unemployment rising and cut backs due in a matter of weeks, you really think unemployment is gonna come down:w00t:its going up and you are gonna start feeling the pinch.........the recession was nothing compared to whats coming

Benefits for layabouts will stop. That's all I'm bothered about. They can all live in a cesspit of poverty for all I care.

shedboy66;8813260

Micoo you at Dundee Uni what you studying???

Accounting and finance :lol:

tis soul destroying stuff haha

Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8813358

Benefits for layabouts will stop. That's all I'm bothered about. They … Benefits for layabouts will stop. That's all I'm bothered about. They can all live in a cesspit of poverty for all I care.

how are benefits from layabouts gonna stop?

unemployment is rising not decreasing and you think taking the food out of someones mouth is gonna help what exactly?

micoo;8813369

Accounting and finance :lol:tis soul destroying stuff haha

can you not transfer onto another course - wouldn't give up uni with the jobs climate at the mo

JonnyTwoToes;8813347

Come and ask me for a job when you're proved wrong. I'll be happy to … Come and ask me for a job when you're proved wrong. I'll be happy to tell you where to go.

I'm 65, why would I want to come to you for a job.
I'll just sit here and enjoy my retirement thank you very much.
And why would you think I haven't got an education?
You clearly don't know me so why would you judge me? :roll:

So I think it's more of a case of me telling you where to go. :thumbsup:

Banned

casparwhite;8813442

how are benefits from layabouts gonna stop?unemployment is rising not … how are benefits from layabouts gonna stop?unemployment is rising not decreasing and you think taking the food out of someones mouth is gonna help what exactly?

It shouldn't take longer than 6 months to get a job.
Now we have a sensible government in, anyone not getting a job will be forced to get one, or have there benefits taken away.

That's a good thing.

Banned

Jumpingphil;8813509

I'm 65, why would I want to come to you for a job.I'll just sit here and … I'm 65, why would I want to come to you for a job.I'll just sit here and enjoy my retirement thank you very much.And why would you think I haven't got an education?You clearly don't know me so why would you judge me? :roll:So I think it's more of a case of me telling you where to go. :thumbsup:

You misled things there Phil. Re read your opening post mate.

JonnyTwoToes;8813550

You misled things there Phil. Re read your opening post mate.

Isn't an old age pension a benefit paid for by the tax payer? :?

I'm not really an O.A.P. and I'm not on benefits.
I am out of work at the moment but 'cos I had the sense to save some money up I don't get anything from this government until I have spent all my savings. :x
I also have a very good education thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Just teasing with you. :thumbsup:
I originally posted to have a dig at jonny619447. :-D

Banned

Jumpingphil;8813633

Isn't an old age pension a benefit paid for by the tax payer? :?

Not in my book. You work hard all your life, you deserve a pension. You scrimp off the state all you life, you deserve to be deported.

Jumpingphil;8813633

I'm not really an O.A.P. and I'm not on benefits.I am out of work at the … I'm not really an O.A.P. and I'm not on benefits.I am out of work at the moment but 'cos I had the sense to save some money up I don't get anything from this government until I have spent all my savings. :xI also have a very good education thank you very much.Just teasing with you. :thumbsup:I originally posted to have a dig at jonny619447.

Understood. Now go and get a job. :thumbsup:

lolat this JonnyTwoToes guy. Who the hell you think you are? Prob warehouse manager or something, thinking he's a big cheese. Keep you idiotic comments to yourself and go boss a few more polish people around the warehouse.

Back on topic.

Interest free credit cards is prob the way to go, then pay it off as soon as you can and clsoe the account. You shouldnt have a horror story then.

And for the guy saying if you cant afford it why are you going... Are you having a laugh as well? You got about 40/50 years of your life that you can really enjoy, so why should he not go cause he hasnt got the money right now? People have mortgages becuase they couldnt afford to buy it outright, so you think they shouldnt have bought at all?

Not sure what world your living on mate, but it doesnt sound a very fun one. Now go and enjoy your 1 weeks holiday a decade down in devon with your aunt. (If you can afford it)

JohnBall;8813956

And for the guy saying if you cant afford it why are you going... Are you … And for the guy saying if you cant afford it why are you going... Are you having a laugh as well? You got about 40/50 years of your life that you can really enjoy, so why should he not go cause he hasnt got the money right now? People have mortgages becuase they couldnt afford to buy it outright, so you think they shouldnt have bought at all?Not sure what world your living on mate, but it doesnt sound a very fun one. Now go and enjoy your 1 weeks holiday a decade down in devon with your aunt. (If you can afford it)

You compare a mortgage with two weeks in marbella and expect to be taken seriously? The reason this country is in the strife it is is because people live outside their means and then when it goes wrong expect someone else to sort it out or to escape on a technicality...

JohnBall;8813956

lAnd for the guy saying if you cant afford it why are you going... Are … lAnd for the guy saying if you cant afford it why are you going... Are you having a laugh as well? You got about 40/50 years of your life that you can really enjoy, so why should he not go cause he hasnt got the money right now? People have mortgages becuase they couldnt afford to buy it outright, so you think they shouldnt have bought at all?Not sure what world your living on mate, but it doesnt sound a very fun one. Now go and enjoy your 1 weeks holiday a decade down in devon with your aunt. (If you can afford it)

Living your life on credit, living for the moment, is not a sensible choice. It can easily spiral out of control, look at the people on MSE who are £30,000+ in debt on credit and store cards.

A mortgage is totally different, it is very easy to live without a holiday, but it's very hard to live without a house, which is also an investment.

Banned

JohnBall;8813956

lolat this JonnyTwoToes guy. Who the hell you think you are? Prob … lolat this JonnyTwoToes guy. Who the hell you think you are? Prob warehouse manager or something, thinking he's a big cheese. Keep you idiotic comments to yourself and go boss a few more polish people around the warehouse.

Nice to meet you too. Let's have a beer sometime.

peodude;8814048

Living your life on credit, living for the moment, is not a sensible … Living your life on credit, living for the moment, is not a sensible choice. It can easily spiral out of control, look at the people on MSE who are £30,000+ in debt on credit and store cards.A mortgage is totally different, it is very easy to live without a holiday, but it's very hard to live without a house, which is also an investment.

Hes starting his job in a month but doesnt have the money now to go away. Why even get involved saying if he cant afford it dont go? And the mortgage is the same concept just on a bigger scale. 2k is easily paid off once he starts his job, unless his graduate job is part time at pizza hut. And from the sounds of it, i think his plan is to pay it back asap. The guy wants a holiday before he starts the rat race for the rest of his life.

Cracks me up how so many people on here act like robots in their replies. Can easily spiral out of control, but if it does they are stupid, and also too stupid to listen to your advice anyway?

JonnyTwoToes;8814193

Nice to meet you too. Let's have a beer sometime.

Where and when Mr Charisma :thumbsup:

Flodd;8814031

You compare a mortgage with two weeks in marbella and expect to be taken … You compare a mortgage with two weeks in marbella and expect to be taken seriously? The reason this country is in the strife it is is because people live outside their means and then when it goes wrong expect someone else to sort it out or to escape on a technicality...

Not everyone is satisfied with sitting behind a desk for 75% of their life and like to take the odd risk now and again. And imo, its not the reason this country is in strife. Its very easy to point the finger, but there are many catalysts.

Banned

JohnBall;8814248

Where and when Mr Charisma :thumbsup:

You take a chill pill, and I'll buy you a pint wherever you want sir.

you should do what i've done OP and save up so you can go away! i have no loans, overdraft and have never used a credit card. if you can't afford it then don't buy it. that's the way i was bought up anyway

Banned

missp27;8814435

you should do what i've done OP and save up so you can go away! i have no … you should do what i've done OP and save up so you can go away! i have no loans, overdraft and have never used a credit card. if you can't afford it then don't buy it. that's the way i was bought up anyway

^^^^^^^^^^^ This :thumbsup:

missp27;8814435

you should do what i've done OP and save up so you can go away! i have no … you should do what i've done OP and save up so you can go away! i have no loans, overdraft and have never used a credit card. if you can't afford it then don't buy it. that's the way i was bought up anyway

shoulda woulda coulda. He doesnt need bringing up. Hes chosen not to save for it, and decided to live life to the full and "take a risk" and get a scary credit card!!!! omgosh.

Hes after advice not what you think he shoulda done?

jeez you all sound like jimminy cricket

JohnBall;8814980

shoulda woulda coulda. He doesnt need bringing up. Hes chosen not to save … shoulda woulda coulda. He doesnt need bringing up. Hes chosen not to save for it, and decided to live life to the full and "take a risk" and get a scary credit card!!!! omgosh.Hes after advice not what you think he shoulda done?jeez you all sound like jimminy cricket

And you sound like a mid 20's kid with a bit of dosh in his arse pocket still iving with his parents... :roll:

decided to live life to the full and "take a risk"

He's off for two weeks to sodding San Antonio not a fact finding mission to Basra on behalf of UNICEF.

Spending on a Credit Card (zero % or not) is not the way to take a holiday... The bank won't lend him the money as he no income and (i'd imagine) they're a little aprehensive that he can pay it back. Either a) wait until you have the money or b) take a cheaper holiday and that deosnlt mean you can't go outside of the UK it just means you might have to rough it a bit...:thumbsup:

JohnBall;8814980

shoulda woulda coulda. He doesnt need bringing up. Hes chosen not to save … shoulda woulda coulda. He doesnt need bringing up. Hes chosen not to save for it, and decided to live life to the full and "take a risk" and get a scary credit card!!!! omgosh.Hes after advice not what you think he shoulda done?jeez you all sound like jimminy cricket

it is how i see it, that's all. why get yourself into debt for something that'll be over in a couple of weeks?
lol you can live life to the full without a credit card!
:thumbsup:

missp27;8814435

Where did they buy you from?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person631
    2. Home CCTV system advice.22
    3. Christmas presents48
    4. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage44

See more discussions