Getting money back from Go Girl Insurance company

Found 5th Oct 2015
My daughter has had her car insurance (first car) with Go Girl Insurance for 5 months now. Her car failed the MOT miserably and my daughter has now scrapped it. She phoned Go Girl and they cancelled her insurance from 28th September (monthly direct debits). However, today they have taken this month's monthly premium. My daughter called again and was told that they would only refund her the money (taken today) if she sends them a copy of her bank statement showing that the money has gone out of her bank account. Is this the normal practice - surely the company would know that they have received that payment already?
Community Updates
AskInsurance
16 Comments
Has she tried the easy option of cancelling the direct debit?
Go into the bank and request the direct debit be returned. They can usually do it within a reasonable time
Edited by: "SJHan" 5th Oct 2015

Direct Debit Guarantee The Guarantee is offered by all banks and … Direct Debit Guarantee The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.

choc1969

My daughter has just told me that she never actually cancelled her direct debit with her bank, only cancelled it verbally over the telephone with Go Girl. I'm just wondering if she actually needs to send a copy of her bank statement to them showing the money going out of her account, there again, I suppose it will show them that she never actually cancelled the direct debit. Not sure if she will get the money back though, as after googling about them, some of their reviews are not that great!
Sophiasky

My daughter has just told me that she never actually cancelled her direct … My daughter has just told me that she never actually cancelled her direct debit with her bank, only cancelled it verbally over the telephone with Go Girl. I'm just wondering if she actually needs to send a copy of her bank statement to them showing the money going out of her account, there again, I suppose it will show them that she never actually cancelled the direct debit. Not sure if she will get the money back though, as after googling about them, some of their reviews are not that great!

See my post. Go to the bank. They can reverse the DD. She'll get her money back.
as the others have said, go to the bank first to see if they can get the direct debit payment back. if not then show the insurer the money debit as they may not have quick access to money coming into each account so this may be the quickest way for them to see that the direct debit has been paid.

doesn't sound like the norm though as they should have the payment record already at their end.
mutley1

as the others have said, go to the bank first to see if they can get the … as the others have said, go to the bank first to see if they can get the direct debit payment back. if not then show the insurer the money debit as they may not have quick access to money coming into each account so this may be the quickest way for them to see that the direct debit has been paid.doesn't sound like the norm though as they should have the payment record already at their end.

That's what I thought (payment record at their end). Anyway, thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.
Sophiasky

That's what I thought (payment record at their end). Anyway, thank you … That's what I thought (payment record at their end). Anyway, thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.

it may be that as the direct debit went out today from the bank it will take a few days to get credited at their end so they won't see the credit until the end of the week so they may be asking for proof as a quick way of checking that the money has gone to them but then I doubt they would refund you until they are certain the money has arrived at their end any way.
ring the bank and tell them you had this money taken out after you had cancelled the policy. They will refund almost immediately and then if the insurance company want to chase you, they will contact you. You are quite within your rights to do this.
No it's not normal practice at all , if the direct debit has come out today then it will be 3 days before they see it best to phone them and get them to refund it and then cancel the direct debit.
stuarthanley

See my post. Go to the bank. They can reverse the DD. She'll get her … See my post. Go to the bank. They can reverse the DD. She'll get her money back.

​reverse a DD ? how true is that ?
cliosport65

​reverse a DD ? how true is that ?

Completely true. My bank has done it for me. It's part of the DD guarantee so they'll do it.
Edited by: "SJHan" 6th Oct 2015
It's called an indemnity claim and yes it's normal to ask for a bank statement extract to see the payment go out as it can take days before the payment clears their end I've worked with direct debit for several years and had to ask to statement extracts before as the payment didn't show our end
emodan

It's called an indemnity claim and yes it's normal to ask for a bank … It's called an indemnity claim and yes it's normal to ask for a bank statement extract to see the payment go out as it can take days before the payment clears their end I've worked with direct debit for several years and had to ask to statement extracts before as the payment didn't show our end

My daughter emailed through a copy of her statement showing the payment last night and is going to call them this morning. Will it be alright for her to cancel that direct debit today or will she have to wait for the money to go back in to her bank account first? Thank you.
Just a thought!
It could be that she still owes them the money anyway and she won't get the money refunded as most insurance companies charge large early cancellation fees, I would be quite surprised if after only five payments if covered all the cancellation fees, I would read through the small print in her policy/payments documents.

Hi Sophiasky.
Please can you privately email us at gogirlfeedback@sabre.co.uk with your policy number and details about this and we will look into this for you.
Thank you - Go Girl team

Sophiasky

My daughter has had her car insurance (first car) with Go Girl … My daughter has had her car insurance (first car) with Go Girl Insurance for 5 months now. Her car failed the MOT miserably and my daughter has now scrapped it. She phoned Go Girl and they cancelled her insurance from 28th September (monthly direct debits). However, today they have taken this month's monthly premium. My daughter called again and was told that they would only refund her the money (taken today) if she sends them a copy of her bank statement showing that the money has gone out of her bank account. Is this the normal practice - surely the company would know that they have received that payment already?

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants