Getting off before your station (National Rail)

Found 23rd Nov 2012
If I have a single ticket valid from X to Z, can I get off at station Y (which is along the route between X and Z)? Will the barriers open since my ticket permits me to travel through it or do I *have* to exit at the specific station written on the ticket?
Community Updates
MiscToy Train
8 Comments
You can stop in between stations.
no. you have to exit at the station specified on your ticket but if you show your ticket to the guard he may let you through.

i think it is a rip off that you are not allowed to get off earlier than your ticket has been paid for. what is it to them if you get off a few stops early?
It's called travelling short and is against the terms on your ticket. It's an absolutely ludicrous rule though, so if you can get away with it I can't see how you're harming anyone
It depends on the ticket. Most tickets permit stop-offs between the start and end station on any reasonable route. It's only special tickets, generally Advance tickets, that require you to carry out the full journey without stopping-off.

You really need to check the conditions attaching to a specific ticket before you buy it if you want to use it to go somewhere other than the named destination.
If you have a special priced deal then there are likely to be conditions attatched.

A ticket should not be assumed to just be a ticket.
Thanks for the info everyone, it's just a normal ticket but I think I won't risk it now!
i.am.lost

Thanks for the info everyone, it's just a normal ticket but I think I … Thanks for the info everyone, it's just a normal ticket but I think I won't risk it now!

If you go on the National Rail site, you should be able to find out the terms and conditions of your ticket. Generally, despite what I said earlier, you can get away with a short break at an intervening station even if you've got an advance ticket. You just need to use a manned (rather than automatic) ticket barrier.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants